The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Charles90706

Flip kit install

So i will be ordering the flip kit from ebay or picking up a used set of brakets from one of the guys on here... is there anything else i will need? different u bolt, shocks (if so what size) brake lines etc.. any help will be appreciated... I am trying to do this as cost effectively as possible
Charles90706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
BBCurt

Re: Flip kit install

You'll need shocks for sure, u bolts, I think, but unsure. And you'll regret not notching your frame.
BBCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

you only need shocks if you don't plan to run shock extenders, if you run extenders, your stockers will be fine.

I know some will disagree, but whever removing the diff from a vehicle, especially ones that are as old as ours, you should always run new U-bolts. Do some online searches if you feel differently, almost all of them will tell you the same thing and give factual resaons why. Not to mention, every quality flip kit on the market comes with new u-bolts...ever wonder why? Most guys look at their current used ones and think "these look fine to me", but there is much more to it than looking at things with the naked eye.

Brake lines will be fine, they only need to be slightly tweaked to clear the c-notch if you end up putting one of those in.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I second the U-bolts. I have had shock extenders on my last 2 trucks. I like using the stock shock, just in case there is ever a problem. Stock shocks are a lot easier to find (and probably cheaper, too.)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Charles90706

ok... in the kit i am getting it only has the rectangular looking u pieces (no shock extenders or U bolts.

On the shocks I remember hearing that the front shocks will work for the rear once you have successfully installed the flip. Is this true?

I think i will replace the u bolt. What size and length would i need?

I am trying to get all my parts so I can do this and dont have to make runs to the local autozone or parts store and end up waiting for a freakin u bolt. I hate it when that happens!!!

Also the bump stops have to be removed and changed? any idea where to get the new ones? and is there a part number or something that would make it easy on me to find them?

Thanks guys for you help
Charles90706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles90706 View Post
ok... inOn the shocks I remember hearing that the front shocks will work for the rear once you have successfully installed the flip. Is this true?

Also the bump stops have to be removed and changed? any idea where to get the new ones? and is there a part number or something that would make it easy on me to find them?

Thanks guys for you help

Yep, front shocks will work just fine. I would just remove the bump stop stand and you should be fine

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Yep, front shocks will work just fine. I would just remove the bump stop stand and you should be fine
x2 on this u really dont need to c noch unless u dropp it more(blocks). and trust me if u dont chand the shocks it bodoms out easilly

Last edited by 87 chevy silverado; 12-15-2010 at 11:16 AM.
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote