The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
Rannos

Help with Lifter Choice

I am building a street/strip SBC with a solid roller cam. I have a set of comp cams solid roller lifters w/o the bearing oiling provisions already but have been getting mixed advice on what I should run. The truck the motor is going in will see less then 1000 miles a year and most likely not more then 50 miles in a weekend. It will mostly be for index/bracket racing and hitting the local car shows maybe 2 times a month. My springs set up with 155# on the seat and about 430# open and the engine will likely never see anything over 6500rpm. I am not running oil restrictors and have been told if not running restrictors and with my lower spring pressure not to worry about it. I have also been told with out something like the HIPPO or Endure-X style lifters the low rpm of street driving will kill the needle bearings. I have never used a solid roller for street use before so I have no exprience myself to guide my decision. What do most of you run in street/strip engines? Will my current lifters suffice or should I get the HIPPO/ENFURE-X style?

Thanks,
Jay
Rannos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Help with Lifter Choice

I would tend to agree Jay,, that's some pretty soft springs in the grand scheme of things (I'm runing 320# seat and #830 on the nose with a 2.12 titanium valve) in my Nova small block. I run Crower HPPO lifters and change them every other season. Have never had a failure (knock on wood) There as good or better than any HPPO lifter out there IMPO. Isky Red-zone or Crowers HPPO are tough as nails.

I don't know who makes the Comp struff but with those light springs (which BTW appear to be a hydraulic roller spring???) I sure wouldn't sweat it. I WOULD, for peace of mind make sure the lifters your using is a Morel built lifter and call it a day.

jusy my 2¢

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
shawnt

The needle bearing deal is mostly because of "sloppy" valvetrain. Lifters bouncing around in the lifter bores and etc. I don't think the spring pressures are whats causing lifter failures.

I agree with Marv on the Morel type lifter.

You can call Chris Straub and tell him I sent you if you want. He sells a TON of lifters each year and ask his advice. 1-423-391-7771
Best so far with 0 tuning

Lesson in life: Never fry bacon naked!
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I don't know who makes the Comp struff but with those light springs (which BTW appear to be a hydraulic roller spring???) I sure wouldn't sweat it. I WOULD, for peace of mind make sure the lifters your using is a Morel built lifter and call it a day.

jusy my 2¢
These are the springs the cam MFG call for on this cam and it is a solid roller. It is how ever a street roller and not a billet stick. I really think my lifters would be fine and I was told by a decently well known local engine builder that the comp cam lifters I have are Morels but I have no way to check as there aren't any numbers on them. I picked this cam as it has the rpm range I am wanting and uses a softer spring so I wouldn't be replacing lifters and springs every time I drove to the gas station.

Here is the cam I am using.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=307&sb=2

and here are the springs.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=977-16
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
shawnt

Is comp offering morel type lifters now? I know they used to not about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago.
Just curious
Posted via Mobile Device
Best so far with 0 tuning

Lesson in life: Never fry bacon naked!
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Rannos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnt View Post
Is comp offering morel type lifters now? I know they used to not about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago.
Just curious
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont know for sure. I had been told that they are but I dont know of a way to check.

Thanks,
Jay