The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
BillyBlaze

My 73 saga

Some of you guys helped me with my truck, getting it running enough to get it to the engine builder.
I have a pretty straight 73 heavy half ton 454
bought it cheap....but am paying high...lol
anyhow here's what I have done thusfar....
new parts
coil
starter
plus and wires
quadrajet
cap
battery
ignition switch
steering box

since it's been at the builders....
Engine
exhaust from manifold back with glasspacks
thermostat, water pump
tranny seals, front rear and pan
intake manifold

I will post some pictures when I get it back from the builders.
I had them paint the block Chevy Orange, they found a crack in the intake manifold so I am having them put on an edlebrock (sp?).
After I get it back it will be tires and wheels and a little brake work, then I might paint it back the original configuration....with the minor body work needed...seals etc

Here's some pics of the truck
http://www.billyblaze.net/chevy/chevy.html
BillyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: My 73 saga

Some times a bargain isn't really a bargain. I still think your doing just fine. I really like this truck.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Sounds like many of the builds here on this site.

I'm with Ken, that is one clean '73. Good luck with the rest of the build!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
BillyBlaze

Thanks guys, i figure after this most of the big stuff is out of the way.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
JohnC

That's a great looking truck. Sounds like you have a good momentum going. Keep us updated, and we love pics.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
sperz1

Take comfort in the fact that you know the changed parts are solid now!
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
BillyBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
Take comfort in the fact that you know the changed parts are solid now!

Yep, I had the chance to do it half assed but figure it makes no sense to spend all the money I have and have to go back in there and do it right later on down the road.
I want to be able to pull anything, haul anything and drive aross the country if needed...solidity
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

any old truck is goiong to need a ton of work.. luckilly the reliability of these things is so good that youre set for another 30 years... as to the paint job.. if you do the original configuration that woodgrain stuff is very pricey.. id consider doing the center part in the white they offered to keep the costs down

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
BillyBlaze

where would i find the woodgrain stuff, I figured it would be pricey but I want to keep it as original as possible from the outside.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
jchav62
1962 C-10

Beautiful truck! Sounds like you're doing everything right... Can't wait to see your progress..
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
truckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBlaze View Post
where would i find the woodgrain stuff, I figured it would be pricey but I want to keep it as original as possible from the outside.
was looking at redoing a wagon a while back and found it in rolls online. lots of options that are not probably exactly correct, but close.

i have commented on your truck before. i love it.

Last edited by truckfan; 07-23-2009 at 05:26 PM.
truckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
BillyBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckfan View Post
was looking at redoing a wagon a while back and found it in rolls online. lots of options that are not probably exactly correct, but close.

i have commented on your truck before. i love it.
Do you remember where you found them?
I sure would appreciate it if you do
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
BillyBlaze

OK, so I still have the truck at the engine builders.....
Well it's back there anyway.
Picked it up and discovered that the quadrajunk wasnt opening the back two barrels which made it run like a well behaved 305ci 2 barrel, but I have a 4 barrel 454!
Anyhow.... what I have decided since obviously these guys cant find their arse around a quadrajunk, is I am going to replace it with a new Edlebrock carb and intake and would like some reccomendations on what you think would work best....maybe what you are running in this combo of intake manifold and carb.
Any help is always appreciated and since I am going on week 7 without my truck I am getting a little testy...lol

Got some wheels and tires on it now and the engine looks, runs and sounds really really good, i am pleased with the work with the exception of the huge loss in power due to carburation issues.

Pics will follow when I do get it back for more than a day and have an opportuity to snap a few.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
dan76

Suggest looking at the Barry Grant line of carbs......great tuneability and prices are not out of line. Get an EB intake dual plane for good useable street power, especially since you indicate you want an all purpose truck.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #15
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
obviously these guys cant find their arse around a quadrajunk,

Sooo...... If these guy's can't do anything with one of the simplest carbs on the market, What makes you think they can properly tune a performance carb ?

For best fuel economy and reliability for a daily driver purchase a rebuilt Q-jet and install it yourself, Put a vacuum gauge on a constant vacuum port then adjust at idle until you get as close to 20" vacuum as possible.

For what it's worth; I've built/tuned many carbs over the years. The Demon that came on my 502 is the biggest POS I've ever seen, I heard the same from other guys around town. It's getting slam-dunked in the trash soon as I get my Q-jet built......
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #16
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post

For best fuel economy and reliability for a daily driver purchase a rebuilt Q-jet and install it yourself, Put a vacuum gauge on a constant vacuum port then adjust at idle until you get as close to 20" vacuum as possible.

For what it's worth; I've built/tuned many carbs over the years. The Demon that came on my 502 is the biggest POS I've ever seen, I heard the same from other guys around town. It's getting slam-dunked in the trash soon as I get my Q-jet built......
Good tech advice.

However if you're getting rid of your Demon carb......I'll take it. I've installed a Demon on a friend's car and she's happy with it.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #17
BillyBlaze

I should mention this is a brand new rebuilt quadrajet by Holley and has less than 100 miles on it.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Billy,

That's a shame...... Check with your local GM dealer and see what they would charge to check this carb out ? It would have to be cheaper than buying another carb and having the same problems finding someone to tune it.

You can google Q-Jet and find all sorts of tech/tune articles that would help straighten this one out.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry dan76,

This Demon has left me on the roadside 5 times flooding out at traffic lights. After the first time, I installed new floats and float needle valves (from Berry Grant) new fuel filters one before the pump and after then a new return pressure regulator set at 6 lbs. (6 to 71/2 is spec.). I have nearly worn the float valve lock nuts out trying different levels other than spec, I don't know what the deal is with these carbs... I see them on vehicles at shows and you can tell they flood by the brown fuel stains on the intakes.....

This one..... Well..... It gets the sledge treatment before the slam-dunk.....
97 GMC Ext. Cab

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
BillyBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Billy,

That's a shame...... Check with your local GM dealer and see what they would charge to check this carb out ? It would have to be cheaper than buying another carb and having the same problems finding someone to tune it.

You can google Q-Jet and find all sorts of tech/tune articles that would help straighten this one out.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry dan76,

This Demon has left me on the roadside 5 times flooding out at traffic lights. After the first time, I installed new floats and float needle valves (from Berry Grant) new fuel filters one before the pump and after then a new return pressure regulator set at 6 lbs. (6 to 71/2 is spec.). I have nearly worn the float valve lock nuts out trying different levels other than spec, I don't know what the deal is with these carbs... I see them on vehicles at shows and you can tell they flood by the brown fuel stains on the intakes.....

This one..... Well..... It gets the sledge treatment before the slam-dunk.....
Well here is why I am thinking of changing over,....I cant find anyone in this area that REALLY knows how to tune a quadrajet however many can do the newer carbs...also the local parts store where I bought the reconditioned Q is willing to take it back and give me the full total spend towards the Edlebrock of my choice.
I figured that I can also get the builder to send back the Edlebrock intake that is made for the Q and exchange it for one to fit the carb I choose, then it should be pretty much install, crank and drive away with a functioning carb.
Anyway thats my train of thought
Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #20
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
then it should be pretty much install, crank and drive away with a functioning carb.

Best of Luck !
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Dont feel bad about the money youve got something no one else has got. My 73 was given to me and its cost me a ton so far and a ways to go yet but its mine...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #22
BillyBlaze

ok back again,....it seems as though the original mechanic that worked on the truck was out the day I took it back.
Luckily I think the guy that didnt know what he was doing didnt do and major damage to the newly rebuilt carb.

I am going to pick up the beast this morning, they say the back 2 barrels are opening up now and everything is functioning properly.

If things are cool this time I will snap some more pictures and post them of the engine bay, new shoes, and exhaust system.

Next in line will be replacing some brake components, and shocks....then I am just going to wing it....LOL maybe let the truck do something for me for a change.

I will look into also getting a fairly good recording of the pipes, maybe a YouTube short.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, so glad I found you guys
Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Damien

If it still isn't right, I would look for an old mechanic that has worked with Q-jets. Maybe a small shop in a small town or rural area. I'm 26 and have rebuilt many carbs. So far there has only been one that I have not been able to get right, because someone else had warped and bent parts.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
BillyBlaze

As promised here are some pictures, same link but the new ones are at the bottom of the page showing a cheap seat cover, tires and wheels, and the rebuilt motor with new Edlebrock 750cfm carb and performer intake.

Can the experts take a look at the carb and see if anything looks out of place, besides the cruise control line not being hooked up and the throttle spring attached to the manifold.
I have a new bracket that I am going to install to fix both of these little things.

It seems that when I really put the foot to it, the truck hits passing gear and the 4 barrels open NOW but the truck just doesn't seem to go any faster....trying to figure this out.

Thanks, here's the link (scroll to the bottom)
ps thanks for all the help.
http://www.billyblaze.net:80/chevy/chevy.html
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #25
menace121978

looking good BillyBlaze! nice transformation... just 1 thing though, that air cleaner is known as a fire starter. looks cool and all but i'd get another to be on the safe side.

its just like the glass fuel filters... ask me how i know.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote