The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
rmsteph828

1964, Clutch/Muncie

How's it going fellas,

I finally solved my fuel problem and the truck ran great. I now find myself with another problem. I have a terrible noise coming from the clutch/transmission area when I down or up shift (load put on the trans/clutch).
Ex. I push in the clutch coming from forth to third once I engage third gear the truck bounces a little and makes a non rhythmic grinding/pinging noise. If I a throw in the clutch it's gone. It does it while I up shift as well, only when the load is transfered and ends once the truck has stopped its two three bounces. I replaced the clutch in 2009(plate, throw-out bearing, brass bearing) Before i dive into it, I am wondering if you guys have ran into the same troubles.

R-
rmsteph828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: 1964, Clutch/Muncie

I’ve lived through a variety of odd clutch noises over the years that can be roughly diagnosed by when they occur. In my experience -

Bad pilot bushings or worn pilot shafts generally emit a loud squealing or screeching noise right when the clutch pedal is depressed, and is worse on cold mornings. This may be intermittent, sometimes noisy, sometimes not.

A bad throwout bearing or badly worn front bearing retainer will regularly growl loudly when pushing or releasing the clutch pedal, and just keeps getting worse until repaired.

A misaligned pilot shaft or worn front bearing can cause or aggravate these problems.

A bent clutch plate is usually caused by allowing the transmission to hang by the pilot shaft momentarily during clutch replacement and can vibrate or chatter during pushing or releasing the clutch pedal.

Because your truck is bouncing/grinding/pinging after shifting, I’d take a look at the driveshaft u-joints first (and quickly). Although it could be something else, because the problem quits when you take the load off the shaft, it could be that one of them is severely worn and about ready to let go.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
rmsteph828

Your last comment makes the most sense. Given I replaced the clutch to the best of my knowledge. Ill give the u-joints a good examination. Is there any thing in particular I should look for?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If they’re worn badly enough, you might be able to wiggle the driveshaft on that end just by grabbing it with your hand. If not, you’ll need to pull the shaft and the u-joints for inspection. If a joint is bad, it will be obvious. Normally there are gall marks or scars all around the bearing surface(s). Some of the needles may also be badly gouged, ground up, undersized, or completely deteriorated.

If you have a long bed with a two piece driveshaft, the center bearing should be checked first as they typically have more problems than the end joints.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
rmsteph828

Ill get on that in the next few days. I am sure they are in bad shape, most likely they have never been replaced, and after fifty some years of wear it should be time. Ill try and attach some pictures to help clarify.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
11echo

My experience, it'll be a bad throwout bearing!
11echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
rmsteph828

I took a look this afternoon, the U joint at the transmission has a little wiggle up and down (within the joint). The second joint is extremely loose, the whole connection seems to be on the brink. The spline it self has movement between the teeth of the spline.

On the first photo, near the top it looks as if some thing is busted
Attached Images