The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
medicman775

A/C question

Did burbs come with rear a/c only? My option sheet says air cond overhead system and I have the ac lines to the rear ceiling but my dash doesn't have the a/c vents and my controls don't have anything labeled for a/c control. I assume my dash is the original.
medicman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Re: A/C question

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman775 View Post
Did burbs come with rear a/c only? My option sheet says air cond overhead system and I have the ac lines to the rear ceiling but my dash doesn't have the a/c vents and my controls don't have anything labeled for a/c control. I assume my dash is the original.
1972 was the first year for an in the dash factory type A/C setup on the suburbans and was refered to as Front & Rear A/C which also included the rear section only headliner mounted a/c pod. If talking just factory a/c and not dealer installed, the 71 and prior burbs only had a headliner-roof mounted a/c setup that ran from the front to the back and had no a/c controler or a/c vent option in the forward dash. Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Street Smart

The rear only work great too! The one I found is actually two twin units together.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
medicman775

Thank you for the info. I only have the hoses in mine. Are any of the other parts available?
medicman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
AzDon

The rear A/C unit from a 73-91 burb, including the housing can be fitted into a 67-72 and look like it was made for it. Very minor bracket fabrication is required....
For dash air, I prefer an aftermarket heat/cool/defrost unit because they mount completely inside the firewall.
I'm not certain that even 72 dash climate control used the a/c as an air dryer for the defrost, blending a/c into the hot defrost air being blown on the windshield. I'm not sure when this de-fogging feature was started, but all the aftermarket heat/ac/defrost units incorporate this feature.
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote