The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Jbm1956

55-59 mustang ii crossmember measurements

Are there any builds or posts on here that gives the step by step measurements and install for the 55-59 mustang ii crossmember. Thanks guys. It looks like you measure 20 7/8 from the front shackle bolt but not sure if thats the best way or if there are different ways and whatever else is involved. I appreciate all your help guys thanks so much
Jbm1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: 55-59 mustang ii crossmember measurements

Here is a TCI instruction

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pdf..._Front_End.pdf
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

I haven't done it yet but I have the Fatman Fabrications kit sitting on the bench in my garage. The instructions say nothing about 20-7/8" but says to establish your front axle centerline on the floor via plumb bob and transfer it back onto the placement of the IFS cross member.

Now there are many, many threads that mention the need to reposition your axle centerline further forward in order for the wheel & tire to appear more centered in the wheel well. Based on my review of threads here and on the HAMB I plan to move mine forward 3/4" BUT to make sure I will remount the body work and wheel to verify it looks right.

Hope this helped.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Jbm1956

I believe from the install video I watched it was from a guy installing a TCI and he said hes done enough that that measurement is good and that includes the adjustment for the wheel wheel. Hopefully we will get more posts of people that know more and have done it. Thanks guys
Jbm1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
slow4dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I haven't done it yet but I have the Fatman Fabrications kit sitting on the bench in my garage. The instructions say nothing about 20-7/8" but says to establish your front axle centerline on the floor via plumb bob and transfer it back onto the placement of the IFS cross member.

Hope this helped.
The problem with centering the crossmember off the factory centerline is caster. The more caster you run, the more you will shorten the wheelbase.
slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Russell Ashley

For what it's worth, I found the centerline for my axle before removing it for my Scott's install and it was 27 and 1/2 inches back from the front edge of the frame. This is exactly what the FAM shows.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote