The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

How do you change a Glove box?

I bought a new glove box from chevy duty, but i am wondering how to get the old box off the metal piece. I know there is four bolts, but i do not know how to get the Lock off. any help would be appreciated
Attached Images

'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax

Last edited by yfs200p; 02-13-2005 at 11:06 PM.
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

I'm going a bit for memory here, but I believe the front knob pops off to reveal the nut that holds the thing together. Remove the nut and pull the latch back through the hole - - similar to a stereo knob.

Like I say, I can't quite remember. I needed to tighten mine a few years back, and I think that's what I did. Of course, someone may jump in here and call b/s on that one....
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

ANOTHER RELIC FROM MY 'SAVED' FILES. don't pop off the chrome knob you'll break it! With the door open, push the small latch fork up to simulate a "closed" position. Turn the key counter clockwise to the "locked" position. Look down between the door and the latch and you will see a flat tumbler about 3/16" wide. and 1/16" thick. Depress the tumbler "in" to release the lock cylinder while pulling out on the key/cylinder.
Once you get the cylinder out there is a thimble that holds the lock to the door which screws out from the front with a BIG allen wrench.or whatever fits in the hole because it's usually not tight.
I think on non locking types there is a hole to insert a paper clip into, which allows you to rotate the knob backwards to gain access to the release tumbler.( not sure about that )
Like Joe said, if you can't get it out, a local lock smith will probably remove it for you for a few bucks. I
You don't need a key to take the lock apart. Open the door and pull the latch up into the closed position and then pull it even farther ( as far as it will go and then hold it in this position). Take a small nail or paper clip and insert it in the small slot ( located at about the 3 O' Clock Position ) in the back of the cylinder casing. There will be 3 or 4 spring loaded small metal keys (don't know the correct name for them) that you will need to depress one at a time while pulling on the outer chrome bezel. As you get by one another will catch and you will need to depress it to get by it. Remember, while doing this you must be holding (or wire it) the latching arm all the way up as far as it goes. As you get by the last key? the cylinder will pull all the way out. Then you can unscrew the threaded part that holds the casing to the door.
Good Luck
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy
...I think on non locking types there is a hole to insert a paper clip into, which allows you to rotate the knob backwards to gain access to the release tumbler.( not sure about that )...
That's right - - now I remember the hole. Like I said, it's been a while.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy
I think on non locking types there is a hole to insert a paper clip into, which allows you to rotate the knob backwards to gain access to the release tumbler.( not sure about that )
Yep, this is correct. It is a PITA, but there is a release button inside that seperates the pieces.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

TTT i just ressurected this old post. does anyone have any further info, or can describe it any differently, i am having a hard time with this, i dont know what to do with the paperclip once i get it in there
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
crossy

If memory finally serves me , the paper clips just holds the tumblers in one by one as you pull outwards on the cylinder.
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
morglan

"i dont know what to do with the paperclip once i get it in there"

Is yours a locking, or non-locking version? (I just switched mine - non-locking - and I can help you out if you are working with the non-locking type).
morglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

non locking mine is
Old 03-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
Trimman

With the door open push the latch in like it is closed Now looking at it in the truck (I took my box out) at the 5 oclock position There is a slot. Now while holding the latch closed turn the handle conterclockwise you will see a tab in the slot push it in with a paperclip while pulling on the handle. Another tab will show in the slot push it in while pulling out the handle. Take a large allen wrench and unscrew the outside. I used a large rubber handle to unscrew mine. Good luck
If it has a key use it to turn it counterclockwise.
The hole in the knob does nothing
I just changed mine out last sat.
edelbrock performer eps intake
dynomax headers/flowmaster 70's
BTO 700r4 level 3
custom 2 piece driveshaft
12 bolt gov loc w/3.08
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

im just not getting this, i must be half retarded or something....
Old 03-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #12
Trimman

It is a pita to do.
1.First find the slot. On the inside of the glovebox looking at it as if you are getting something out of while in the truck. At the 5 oclock position near the bottom of the round part of the latch there's slot about 3 mm long.
2.Push the latch in (the part that catches the bar in the dash) You have to hold it in during the whole procedure.
3.Turn the handle counterclockwise while looking in the slot.You will see a tab about
2mm. This is what you push with the paperclip.
4.Take a small flathead scewdriver put it between the handle and the skin of the glovebox (be gentle it doesnt take much force and you dont want to pry the handle off or sratch the skin) and pry out the cylinder as you push the 2mm tab with the paperclip.
5.As the cylinder comes out it will catch on another tab in the same slot push it in with the paperclip and slide the cylinder the rest of the way out.
6.Where the handle was you should see where you can fit a large allen wrench. Unscrew that while holding the inside.
7.Pop a beer put opening in can to mouth, drink and be merry.
edelbrock performer eps intake
dynomax headers/flowmaster 70's
BTO 700r4 level 3
custom 2 piece driveshaft
12 bolt gov loc w/3.08
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 AM   #13
kevinr1970

I did mine tonight and here are my comments. I also attached an image to make it easier to understand (I hope!). I guess I was lucky because the first one I did fell apart after wrestling around with it. It made more sence once I could look at it taken apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimman
1.First find the slot. On the inside of the glovebox looking at it as if you are getting something out of while in the truck. At the 5 oclock position near the bottom of the round part of the latch there's slot about 3 mm long.
I'm sure they are different depending on years or whatever but on mine, if you were looking at it from directly behind it (inside the glove box) it would be just past 9 o'clock. Or if you had x-ray vision and could look at it from the outside, through the steel it would be at just before 3 o'clock. (#1 in the picture)
Quote:
2.Push the latch in (the part that catches the bar in the dash) You have to hold it in during the whole procedure.
See #2 in picture
Quote:
3.Turn the handle counterclockwise while looking in the slot.You will see a tab about 2mm. This is what you push with the paperclip.
I had to turn mine clockwise. See #3 in picture.

Quote:
4. .....be gentle it doesnt take much force and you dont want to pry the handle off.....
Be very gentle!!!! The first one I did seemed to fall off, but I realized the casting of the knob had broken (very thin!).

Quote:
5.As the cylinder comes out it will catch on another tab in the same slot push it in with the paperclip and slide the cylinder the rest of the way out.
See #5 in picture.

Quote:
Pop a beer put opening in can to mouth, drink and be merry.
Ditto!
Hope this might help if some else is doing this. Thanks trimman for putting this in words. It seemed everyone I asked told me to put a paper clip in the hole in the knob which does nothing?? At least that I could tell.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #14
jermasaurus

I read the instructions on here before to get the lock off and I even amazed the people that work at the junkyard. They never saw the lock come out of the cylinder. One suggested that I just paint the whole box to match mine.
But, yeah, I showed them!
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #15
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Re: How do you change a Glove box?

Ole post for same problems really helps. Thanks

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #16
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I think this should be put in the questions and answers section myself. Very helpful.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #17
crossy

I think Trimmans was the best.
3.Turn the handle counterclockwise while looking in the slot.You will see a tab about
2mm. This is what you push with the paperclip or an eyeglass screwdriver works well here also.
4.Take a small flathead scewdriver put it between the handle and the skin of the glovebox (be gentle it doesnt take much force and you dont want to pry the handle off or sratch the skin) and pry out the cylinder as you push the 2mm tab with the paperclip.
6.Where the handle was you should see where you can fit a large allen wrench. Unscrew that while holding the inside.
7.Pop a beer put opening in can to mouth, drink and be merry.
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
LOTS of Cummins trucks.