The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
TOYOTA61384

Lenghtening Trailing Arms????

So I am in the process of baggin my 72' GMC BURB right now, and the drop is so drastic that the rear wheels have moved forward in the wheel opening, and the axle as well in the step notch ( it is hitting at the perch in the front), so to keep it centered and from looking ghetto, I am just going to stretch the trailing arms about 1-1 1/2"s and plate them. Do you guys see any potential problems with this, or have any of you already done this to realign your wheels?

Thanks

Robert
TOYOTA61384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
GMC1tondually4dr

You might think about fabbing some new, longer trailing arms.
If that is not an option, and you have to cut the original arms, cut the arms at least at a 45 degree angle, this will give you more weld surface which is stronger, AND use a fish plate on either side for reinforcement.

The military or the FAA has standards as to repairing tubular aircraft parts.
They tell you to make a cut of no less than 30 degrees, and how to reinforce the repair.
But then again you are not flying at 30,000 feet. (are you!!! )

I do fab work. Mostly drag race cars and street stuff.
Lots of chromoly and mild steel stuff.
My son and I are also going into the StainlessSteel exhaust area.
He's into Volkswagens a '03 GTI

Would there be an interest in custom built traling arms for the older trucks???

arequickfab@hotmail.com

If anyone wants to give the demensions or a working drawing I could estimate a price for a fabbed, TIG welded set of arms.
Just thinking out loud.

Just my .02

CCDually

Last edited by GMC1tondually4dr; 03-10-2005 at 01:20 PM.
GMC1tondually4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

If you were just moving them a little you could add spacers where the arm brackets bolt to the cross member. In your case, why not move the whole trailing arm cross member back the desired distance? That'd be a fairly simple solution. Of course you may have to remove the bed and maybe the cab to access the rivets though.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
fastbagged68

You could do what Slammed said. We did that on our shop truck. Pretty easy to do. Plasma out the rivets and move the crossmember to the location you want. Or you could raise your mounting point on your crossmember. Making the center of the arc higher. Thats what I did on my suburban.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
TOYOTA61384

I'll have to crawl underneath it and take a look athe the crosmember, that seems feasible, although removing the body is not really an option, (working in the driveway, and it's a Burb) I could section the trailing arms in that time. I will check out the crossmember though, although It houses the carrier bearing for the drive shaft, which I guess I would probably have an extra inch in the slip yolk, so it shouldn't be a problem right?

Thanks for the replies

Robert
TOYOTA61384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Maybe you could fab longer flanges for the control arm brackets,cut off the old ones at the bend,then weld and maybe gusset the new ones in place.that way the positioning is bang on and you don't have to mess with the rivets.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
GMCGRANDS

I agree with slammed67. The easiest option without removing the cab would be to drill out the rivets that hold the trailing arm brackets to the crossmember and make blocks the thickness you want to move the arms.Then just bolt them between the crossmember and the trailg arm bracket.

05' GMC Sierra Denali LQ9
GMCGRANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
smokekiki
Mike

Somethings to consider before getting started.You might need to lenthen the brake line,move the trac bar mount and check clearence with fuel tank.The spacer sounds like the quickest way to move the arms.