The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Smallz72project

Question GMC morphing into Chevy?

Hello all, Todd here. I have a 72 GMC lwb leaf suspension in the rear. The floor on the cab is a complete mess almost not even worth trying to repair. The other day I bought a 70 Chevy lwb with the 3 link suspension, the cab on this truck is not perfect but way better starting position then my GMC. The chevy doesnt have a title but my GMC does as I use it as a DD. My question is, if I were to swap basically everthing from my truck onto this chevy frame and cab....how or what would I do concerning the title and vin number as such. I am from Montana if anyone has any ideas, I as well know I could simply apply for a lost title for the chevy, but I thought I'd see what ideas I could gather from my fellow GM family. Thanks in advance and take it easy.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

I have the opposite problem in that I put a chevy cab on my GMC frame. I plan on keeping the truck titled as a GMC cuz I have Antique tags on it and they don't have to be renewed. Of course being in MS where they aren't anal about such stuff helps.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

BTW WElcome to the board from South Mississippi!

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 05-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

The age old question that I've never seen a definative answer to, Does the vin belong to the chassis or the cab. You can buy brand new chassis from I believe Jim Meyers. You can also buy an all fiberglass cab from US Body. I read an artical on the new fiberglass bodied camaro. The say you can apply for a vin or buy a parts car with a good title and vin and then transfer it. Once you transfer the Vin from a parts vehicle you have another problem, what do you do with the parts vehicle? A junk yard is not allowed to take a car without a title and then have to keep a running record of those titles on hand. So I guess you would have to chop the parts car up and sell it as scrap metal, but is that legal?
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to the board.
Myself, in all honesty, I would swap the VIN plate to the new cab.

But I say call your DMV. Every state has there own set of laws on this. Some say cab, some say chassis, some require you have a vin for both if the numbers don't match.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #6
jamal

[QUOTE=Longhorn Man]Welcome to the board.
Myself, in all honesty, I would swap the VIN plate to the new cab.
QUOTE]

Can you buy the hex rivets for the vin?
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Around here you only need a bill of sale at the jy, if that.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 05-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The only time I switch the plate is when I want to rebuild MY truck and keep it correct because MY truck has alot of options that make it more valueable.I don`t care about the law`cause all I`m doing is changing a part with one of MY parts from one of MY other trucks.If the cops or MVA need proof of ownership,I`ll just show them both of MY titles.There`s no law against fixing you vehicle.I think it`s rediculous to not be able to replace one part legally without getting a reconstructed title.It`s against the law to steal a vehicle and switch the VIN-plate.The serial# can be checked elsewhere if it comes to that.It`s illegal to sell a vehicle and not disclose info about a reconstruction.Until you do one of these acts,what`s the problem?I`m building my`72 Chevy Fleetside into a`67 GMC Stepside.I`m leaving it titled and plated as what it is now,totally legal.I`ll probably get more hassle with that,if I get pulled over,than if I switched plates/title.I know auto theft and fraud are problems.But,that`s illegal and aren`t we innocent until proven guilty?Or,at least innocent until we break the law?Yeah switching VIN-plates is illegal.Too many laws that cover other laws.I have to ignore some laws so I can feel like I live in the America the signers of the Conststution intended.Rant over...And oh,welcome from the Free-State.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-30-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Add welcome
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

jamal, look on the parts board, they come up from time to time, and there was a web site that was selling them....trimtags.com I think.
Warning....
they AIN'T cheap.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote