The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Rakort

Nice Electrical Schematic - Any Interest?

I've created an electrical schematic for our trucks with CAD. This is really a nice quality schematic and I'm considering offering it up forsale through here, with vendors or on ebay. There is at least one other person offering a similar schematic on ebay, but not nearly as nice as this one (in my opinion). A couple of nice things is the large size for readibility, its color coded so the schematic colors match the wire colors on the trucks. I have a version for the gauge equipped trucks and a version for the indicator light equipped trucks.

Here is what a screen shot looks like so you can see the detail:

Here is what a large 22 x 34 inch color printout looks like:

I could offer it in 11 x 17 black and white print outs on up to 36 x 48 inch size color print outs.

So what do you think, something worth trying to market? (this is my attempt at market research).

Thanks
Brian

Parts for Sale: Pictures
Awesome Elec. Schematic Available: Picture
Rakort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
71jimmy

That looks very nice. Don't know what to tell you about pricing though. I've already got a couple of sets of schematics, not nearly as nice as yours, but they'll do. Good Luck.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 AM   #3
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Brian, looks like you did a lot of work, and done it right!! I can't see why you couldn't make a couple thousand bucks real quick on e-bay!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
thecatseye66
'68 C-20 396 CST CC

I'm sorry Brian they do look great, but I can't seem to believe that too many people would buy something that they can get for free. It's just information--I don't need a color coded chart to "help me out"...our trucks just aren't that complicated.

I'm a Marketing Director who started out as a Graphic Artist, so I know what kind of time you have already put into this project (I would NOT use the black backgound--I'd use a thicker line weight on the colors on a white backgound) but I'd really spec out your costs and profits including your time and see if it isn't just too much hassle in the long run. Either way, good luck!

I'm not bashing the work...just your chances to "profit" on it.

Oh, I'd suggest using a thicker line weight on the typeface too. Maybe even a more traditionial font (almost anything serif)
thecatseye66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 AM   #5
thecatseye66
'68 C-20 396 CST CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatseye66
I would NOT use the black backgound--I'd use a thicker line weight on the colors on a white backgound) with (almost anything serif)
I'm only talking about the on-screen view if you are going to make it available online--the printouts look much better!
thecatseye66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Huck

All the "factory" wiring designs are just that --basic as built. Many if not most of current truck peoples have either upgraded to Hei or want/need to etc. If you offered a wiring design with the layout for: wiring in an HEI distributor, a tach dash, wiring in a internal regulated altinator, and perhaps a layout for going to relay operated headlights, You would get a whole lot of attention as most guys fumble their way around this and would love to have a simple diagram of what goes where with upgrades. I for one have done all of the above but sold the truck so now I have to try and recall the how-to's to do that. I bought the wiring diagram offered via e-bay several years ago. The advantage of it is that the color coding of the wiring helps you quickly understand and recognize what you are looking at/for. I've used it many times and like it better then the factory GM books. You can also lay it out without breaking a book binding while you got your butt hung off a seat and you head stuck under the dash. My .02 ~~~Huck~~closing in on 60!!!! YIKES
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

You did a beautiful job by doing it in color but I think you should make it more manageable by using a 11x17 size. That 24x36 is going to get wrinkled in no time. The smaller size allows you to place on top of the dash or the seat when you are working and be out of the way. Just my opinion. That's what I did with the factory diagrams. I photocopied them and taped them together then used the correct colored marker to trace each line. 3 years ago it looked great and still looks ok but yours would would look better since it's computer ink instead of a marker. Good luck with your business!
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
Mongo
YES_____NO

Yes, thecatseye66 you may be able to get this onfo for free, but to have a wiring diagram that is color coded to the wiring that is in the truck would be very helpful. Instead of having to look up the damn funky color codes. Hell I think $3-5 bucks to the door for a 11X17 would be a fair price.

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

i think he could get more if they were laminated for longevity.
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
Mongo
YES_____NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10crazy
i think he could get more if they were laminated for longevity.

yep. I would say atleast 12 if they were laminated.

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
Olden Days
Living In The Past

I think you will do well with that. A lot of people like myself would appreaciate the large size with color. I have wired and rewired many things and I dont care to look at a small pic to figure things out (especially if not color coded) . You could also offer them in both small and lage sizes .
You should also consider Hucks idea of adding in the upgrades for our trucks in your schematics. That would probably get some attention
As far as price , you might try and put a couple on ebay and see what they bring and go from there. good luck
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
nu2-72

Shoot me a price on a 72 with gauges and see if I bite.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
Chevy Muscle
< 69 Blazer

I'll buy one if it's $5 or less. If you made this in autocad (and emial it) I can print it on any size I like, which would be nice.

I also agree with the upgrades. If you can fit it on the drawing or make a page-2 then that will make it even more valuable.
Chevy Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #14
biglou55

Wink

I would pay 20-25 bucks for one with the upgrades on another page. you have expended a lot of time and talent in this endevour. It would be worth it to me for the simplicity and time factor. (hell i just talked myself into paying 30 bucks for a set.)
Old 06-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
junkyardjohn

SHOOT... I'D BUY ONE IF THE PRICE WASN'T TOO AWFUL ABSORBINAT. BIGGER & COLOR COADED WOULD BE GREAT FOR US 1/2 BLIND GUYS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #16
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
SHOOT... I'D BUY ONE IF THE PRICE WASN'T TOO AWFUL ABSORBINAT. BIGGER & COLOR COADED WOULD BE GREAT FOR US 1/2 BLIND GUYS. JOHN
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
Rakort

Well, thanks for the interest, criticism, feedback and comments.

Just a few initial thoughts on some of the replys. First off I enjoy drawing on CAD so this thing first started out as drawing to help me convert my idiot light dash to a gauge dash. Before it was over I disassembled my original idiot light harness and converted it to a gauge harness by swapping wires from a an original, although extensively messed up, donor gauge harness to create a good gauge harness.

So to those that who have inquired about the possibility of the diagram showing how to convert an OEM harness for things like HEI and 10 SI integrally regulated alternators, idiot/gauge conversion, and relay headlights I will and have planned to roll some or all of those modifications into the diagram to serve as a tool to get those task done.

My could be / potential competitor on ebay at
http://stores.ebay.com/Classic-Car-Wiring Will nick you $25 bucks to get a color wiring diagram to your door(small format 2 sided I believe). I have to check my costs, but would hope to be able to get a large format color harness to your door for something around $20. It would be quite alot less for a 11 x 17 black and white print out.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming!

Old 06-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #18
Rakort

PM's sent....

Old 06-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #19
70 longbed

I am unable to see the pics in the first post, all I see are little red x's. Can someone help me out there.

Also, I am interested in getting the $20 version. Can I get it in the CAD format, so I can print it out any size I want, will that be an option, and if so how much?

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #20
Alexis
Member since 2000

I think it's a great idea. Dispite what many say here it could be different in another market.

Put one on ebay and watch what happens. You'll have a greater market watching it.

I remember the first time i saw the wiring diagram for our trucks, many years ago. I felt lost and confused. I looked at yours and it lays it out real nice to someone who doesn't know how to read a wiring diagram and to those who have a hard time seeing the line crossing back and forth.

I did custome audio so now I'm a wiz at wiring.

goodluck
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #21
Rakort

hey there longbed, I'm not sure why you can't see the pictures, but possibly it is because my webserver was down a little while ago, but it is back up and running now so give it a try and let me know.

I'm sorry, but I won't be able to share the electronic copies of the file as much as I would like to. I have put a lot of hours into this project and the value of this effort lies within the CAD files. Once I share the CAD files the value is gone. I hope you understand. It would be like sharing the dies to make the GMC grill or the source code for a software package, or well you see what I mean..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 longbed
I am unable to see the pics in the first post, all I see are little red x's. Can someone help me out there.

Also, I am interested in getting the $20 version. Can I get it in the CAD format, so I can print it out any size I want, will that be an option, and if so how much?

Old 06-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #22
Olden Days
Living In The Past

put me down for one with the upgrades when you get it done. Do you take pay pal?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #23
Rakort

Hi, I now have the schematic with the HEI / Alt upgrades now. If interested I've settled on $22 shipped for the larger color format.

Thanks
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 longbed

Old 06-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #24
Olden Days
Living In The Past

money order is in the mail!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:42 PM   #25
GloryHound
Working on a Nova.

I don't like laminated wiring diagrams. I'm and electrical engineer and like schematics that I can write notes on and make alterations to so it can be Unit or in this case truck specific. I would seriously look into buying one of your diagrams if you could make it an PDF or something like one of those E-books. That way I could save an origional mark the heck out of one printout alter a second printout for a final version of my truck then have a clean origional for the start of my next project. Instead of getting one copy that becomes a complete mess. That could be a whole new complete market. Custom wiring diagrams. You send a customer a copy of an origional wiring diagram for say $20 then they write any changes they need made on the drawing mail it back to you and for say $25 you make them a custom wiring diagram. In the drawing specifics box usually in the lower right hand side you could list the trucks VIN/Year/Project name (Copper Head)/The owners or mechanics name who made the changes/Your own name/and year of drawing.
GloryHound is offline   Reply With Quote