The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Leroy1

Timing Issues

Hey all,

I'm new in this forum and have already noticed quite a bit of great advice. I just bought an 83 GMC Sierra a few months ago and am slowly trying to get her all restored and in good working order. I had to remove the distributor because I replaced the old intake with a new aluminum intake manifold and now I am having a heck of a time getting it timed. I have tried many different things to get it timed and have had no luck. I have triple checked the placement of my plug wires, I have removed the distributor and turned it completely around (the engine wouldn't even start then, and because there are only one of two positions in which it will go in I'm sure it is in the right way). I removed the vacuum line from the distributor vac and plugged it off. Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated and helpful.
Leroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: Timing Issues

are you sure you are on TDC? If you are, have a buddy crank it over and check the timing with a light. What does it read. Is it starting at all?
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I believe this may help you out.

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/disremov.htm

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Leroy1

Thanks for all the info, that link will come in handy. It starts but the problem is when I check it with a light the TDC line on the Crank pulley never shows up in the flashing light for me to be able to adjust it. No matter how far I turn the distributor cap either way the line doesn't show doesn't show. I do have it marked with white paint so I should be able to see it there if it showing.

Kalan
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Nolowrider

Maybe 180 out. Try putting the timing light on the #8 wire and see what happends. Just my 2 cents.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
Leroy1

This may sound stupid, but if it is 180 out what is the process to getting corrected?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

you pull the dist. out and turn the contact 180 deg. (to the opposite side) and then put it back in. how far are you turning it when you get it riunning. It doesnt take much movment. You should be able to point the timing light at diffrent parts of the balancer and find the mark. it much easier to make your adjustments if you know what way to turn it.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
Leroy1

Thanks I will do it. This has been a lot of help. Thank you all. I was just working on it and with the light I couldn't see the mark anywhere when using the #1 plug. When I moved it the the #2 plug the line comes right up. I will pull the dist. out and rotate the contact and see where I get. Thanks again.

Kalan