The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
1968GMC
love my truck

want to varnish my wood floor question

2 years ago I varnished my wood floor kit I bought with exterior varnish. Well it didnt last long. I had to plane the planks down and im in the procces of redooing it. What do you guys use on your wood? I want a shinny finish. I leave my truck outside most of the summer, so it gets rained on it. Also when I varnished it the first time I varnished the bear wood. Should of I aplied some sort of sealer first THEN varnish it???? What about using a marine varnish? Plz let me know.
1968GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Green Machine

Re: want to varnish my wood floor question

Well, I just finished 1 truck this summer, and I did not want something that would peel off. I used Penofin marine oil finish on Oak. Looks real good now, and the advantage is that if and when it gets thin, I can powerwash it, mask off the strips and just reapply, thats the theory anyway, just soaks in and provides UV protection and doesn't build a thick film like varnish.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
cdowns

people with yachts that have wood have found the best way to keepup a good varnish is with lots of upkeep,it's not unusal for them to be applying additional coats every 6-9 months they'd never be neglecting thier finish for a 2year span
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
subtle71
Granddad's Ol' Truck

1968GMC,
I will second Green Machine on the Penofin oil. My dad recommended it since he had used it on the deck and trim of his sail boat. A friend of his told him about how well it lasts. From my understanding of when I used it on my new bed wood kit this past winter, it soaks deep into the wood. I purchased some from a Hardwoods/Exotic woods shop that suggested many light or thin coats. I bought a gallon for $53. I applied 11 (eleven) thin coats. It usually took about 24 hours before I could apply the next coat. After the Penofin oil process was complete, I sealed mine with 3 (three) light coats of semi gloss Spar Varnish. I simply sprayed mine with my gravity feed sprayer. I did not want the aggrevation of brush strokes or fine lint. Other than fading, the problem that I had in the past with just semi gloss Spar Varnish is that it would allow the grain of the wood to separate. So far this Penofin oil looks beautiful.

I will be sure to get some pics up next week for you.

Dean

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 2wd

[I]1971 Chevrolet Custom 10 Deluxe lwb fleet-side
subtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
purple gas

well, I'm no expert,, but that never stopped me.... If it's outside it will be exposed to UV in sunlight which is hard on things,, also heat which will make things expand , and also standing water if it rains an gets a chance to sit there. I'd think a marine finish would be tougher than a regular varnish. I'd bet whatever you use if it's outside a lot with a finish over wood it won't last forever. especailly if you want a gloss finish. Also remember that wood will absorb moisture on all sides.. the bottom of the bed, the ends of the planks and anywhere there's a hole moisture can get in. If the wood gets moist , then is heated in sunlight, it's gonna likely blister or crack. I guess this didn't help much, but no one else had replied yet.. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Green Machine

Here's a pic of mine, put 3 coats on top botom and ends, wet sanded with penofin 2 more times on top only and installed. No additonal top coats on mine. I wanted something that would soak in and protect the wood and not just lay on top and peel off. Now maybe someone has THE secret for something that lasts forever, but mine is going to get driven in the summer and will b exposed to the elements. I figure to look nice anything will have to be redone, and I'm not going to get into sanding, stripping, or taking anything apart, so this is more like something you would put on a wood deck, it will not peel off, but when it gets thin, just clean and recoat, I will find out if I'm right in a few years ???
Attached Images

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0

Last edited by Green Machine; 11-16-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
bad68bowtie
On the college boy budget...

I just wrapped up peelin all the maskin tape off my truck earlier today. I was recommended this Bristol Finish marine varnish by a local boat store here in town. It costs a little more (bout $65 a quart) but it uses a catalyst so that you don't need to sand between coats. I have Georgia Yellow Pine in the bed of my truck that was put in by the previous owner, unfortunately I let it get in poor enough shape that its got a few splits and cracks in it now but this finish I just put on looks really good especially considerin the shape of the wood. I wasn't particularly concerned with the appearance since the truck sits outside all the time and is my daily driver but the outcome far exceeded my expectations. I was told when I bought the stuff that it's meant for boats that sit outside all the time and was perfectly suited for what I needed it for. My uncle who owns a Chris-craft boat recommended another marine varnish called Ephifanes but it entails a lot longer application process and a lot more sanding. I was told with the Bristol varnish that doin a little sandin and applyin a maintenance coat roughly every 18 months would be a good idea too.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I like oils,too.You may not get the shine,but that comes at a cost.Anything that forms a shell or skin can peel with flexing/expanding.Marine-grade is made for this,yet does require frequent upkeep.It`s called "High Maintainence".These days people call that a 'PITA".The cost of vanity.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

I used Spar Varathane oil based, semi gloss. Three coats on all sides. Wood is stained pine. Finished it last July so not sure what the longevity is, so far so good.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

We have been doing a running test of wood finishes. http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_ii.html We have some epoxies in the test that show promise of being durable. As was mentioned previously you can not just coat the wood and ignore it like metal parts. Regular checking and maintenance is required to maintain the finish, whether shiny coating or penetrating oil finish.

I have not updated the site yet but the GLISTEN product by POR15 is showing failure peeling after 4 month continuous exposure. The other products in the current test are doing very well. We did not include penetrating oil finishes in the test, but when we do it again, will probably include them. There seems to be no easy solution to the problem. Also, I could not find any independent comparative test information about various finishes and their durability. That is why we are doing the tests. If anyone knows of such a test and the published results, it would be very helpful for all of us.

Mar-Ktech
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
farside847

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAR-Ktech
We have been doing a running test of wood finishes. http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_ii.html We have some epoxies in the test that show promise of being durable. As was mentioned previously you can not just coat the wood and ignore it like metal parts. Regular checking and maintenance is required to maintain the finish, whether shiny coating or penetrating oil finish.

I have not updated the site yet but the GLISTEN product by POR15 is showing failure peeling after 4 month continuous exposure. The other products in the current test are doing very well. We did not include penetrating oil finishes in the test, but when we do it again, will probably include them. There seems to be no easy solution to the problem. Also, I could not find any independent comparative test information about various finishes and their durability. That is why we are doing the tests. If anyone knows of such a test and the published results, it would be very helpful for all of us.

Mar-Ktech

This write up is super cool, and I check it every month to see if you updated. As soon as you finish, this project will be on my todo list.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
fixerman

The wood bed kit I bought from Brothers recommended 3 or 4 coats of Spar Varathane. I bought it at Home Depot for $12.00 a quart. Be sure to sand between coats with 150grit and make sure the previous coat is dry. Coat all sides since they will be exposed to water.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I am using Teak for my bed, and I am currently in the process of vanishing it.
The varnish I am using is Interlux GoldSpar Clear. (was formerly known in the boating world as Clipper Clear). This is a top notch Clear Varnish with UV protection. In my high school years, I would spend the summers working on boats at the yatchclub where my dad boat was at, and when owners wanted their teak redone, I only used this stuff. It does last a long time 4 - 5 years, but only under optimal conditions (boat was covered by canvas or under carport style shelter, and wood was rinsed off with fresh water ocasionally. For my wood, I am coating it ten times, with the first two coats reduced with 333 brushing liquid. This helps the varnish penetrate the wood. My truck will be driven daily, and parked in a garage at night, so I am hoping to get 2-3 years inbetween coats, but more then likely I will do a light sand and recoat (1 coat) each year.
First two pictures are unfinished teak, last two are of the teak with 4 coats so far. (bottoms already have 10 coats)

Last edited by John Fabris; 11-17-2005 at 04:08 PM.
John Fabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #14
greenvilledave

somewhere i learned from either a old timer or a website that virgin boiled linseed oil was a good idea for this. so my son put about 7 coats on both sides of the boards for his new oak bed. great thing about any oil finish is that you can jusy clean it up and reaply and get the good look again.
greenvilledave is offline   Reply With Quote