The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Looking for rear stoppers

I'm looking for a complete rear brake "kit" for my hooptey. It's got a '71 rear end in it... I need drums, shoes, springs, etc... everything needed to revitalize the now metal-to-metal stoppers that are on there. Any suggestions on who has a complete set of parts available? I tried the parts board but nothing stood out. I checked a couple of the regular vendors' sites but only saw disc brake stuff.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
smbrouss70

Re: Looking for rear stoppers

ECE can probably hook you up, I know they have their Big Brake kits for the rear that comes with everything including backing plates. They even have a 10% off special till New Years. Of course there's always the local parts house too. They should be able to get it all.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:10 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Local parts house, or try http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
$3xx + shipping for their setup. I think I'll pass since I don't actually drive this truck hard (inline 6/1-bbl, drags ground, etc.).
Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Hey, is this drum supposed to have a 1/4" lip on it

And I thought the shoes were supposed to have some kind of abrasive material on them. I think I've been robbed!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Hey, is this drum supposed to have a 1/4" lip on it

And I thought the shoes were supposed to have some kind of abrasive material on them. I think I've been robbed!
Here in Illinois, we have a slogan for that......"you got your money's worth out of that set"! The last set on my truck looked like that when I got it, so i guess you could say that I did not get my money's worth L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn
Here in Illinois, we have a slogan for that......"you got your money's worth out of that set"!
Yeah, but I spent $1800 on tennis shoes during that same period

Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
$3xx + shipping for their setup. I think I'll pass since I don't actually drive this truck hard (inline 6/1-bbl, drags ground, etc.).
I totally agree with you, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Parts store parts works good enough for me.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Just go to a local parts store. Get the shoes, mounting hdwr and adjuster kits.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
crazy longhorn

What Andy said......those parts are cheap & also very available through your local parts houses. the drums fit 71-87? , as do the rest of the brake pcs on the 12 bolt rears. On my truck, new drums were $34 a pop, around $30 for a complete hardware kit, wheel cyls 10-15 ea, & shoes 25 or so. unless you want to upgrade to the wider brakes, you shouldnt have any trouble finding all the pcs locally......... L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn
What Andy said......those parts are cheap & also very available through your local parts houses. the drums fit 71-87?
Thanks all. I didn't think about the fitment being for so many years so figured I'd have to hunt. I'm calling Praise just to see what their pitch is (I've read about them before). If the price is reasonable (nothing listed for '71+ on the site), I may go that route. Otherwise, I'll hit up a local parts house.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

I got all the parts from my local auto store. Got drums, shoes, and a rebuild kit that included all the springs and little misc. pieces. Total cost was about $60 or 70 bucks.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
XXL
Seņor Member

Picked up a couple of drums, a set of shoes, and new hardware kit at AAP for ~ $75 (using several $5/25 coupons from their web site ). Wheel cylinders seemed to be OK when I gave them a look the other day... so I don't plan to swap them unless, when I start actually working on them, they turn out to be less than good.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
XXL
Seņor Member

Brakes are on. Question for your brake experts... I had to run the adjusters ALL THE WAY in and the shoes are still very tight. I drove it around the block and the driver's side drum was smoking like a chimney. While there are lots of parts on drums, it's pretty idiot resistant... and the drum wouldn't go on if they were waaaaay out of whack. Any ideas? Is this just the way it is for a while? Or???

Also, I don't have ebrake at the moment (cable's not hooked up in the cab yet). Is there any other way to get the adjusters to kick in... as if they needed any outward adjustment at the moment??? Oh, and drums don't have the access hole in them.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

That lack of an access hole always p!ssed me off about the replacement drums. You'll need to do something, becouse one day you won't be able to get the drum off. I used a drill and a die grinder to make holes in my replacement drums on the old GMC. At least they were cheap huh?

Something isn't sitting right. Either the brake cylinders are not relaxing and letting the shoes all the way back down (bad master or pinched line or most likely rotted hose, they go from the inside out so you can't see the problem) or something isn't hooked up correctly as in the springs that pull them to the relaxed position.

As for the e-brake cable, it shouldn't matter as far as the adjusters go. If I remember correctly, they are seperate all together.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
crazy longhorn

Check the spreader bar for the Ebrakes, to see if it seated properly on the shoes......also you might look at the wear pattern on the shoes. If its wearing them top & bottom only, the arc may be a little off on the shoes. You can scuff em with some stiff sandpaper to rearc, or just have the drums "skinned" a little & let the shoes wear in. Good luck..... L
Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
That lack of an access hole always p!ssed me off about the replacement drums...
Thanks for the pic! The only difference I see is the spring on the ebrake spreader... the little tab thingie is on the back side on mine, but that should be meaningless (and that's where they were when I pulled them). I may just have to bust out the Dremel as suggested. Either that or find someone locally who wants to make a few $$ to get it fixed up for me (I work too many hours! ).