The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
corn

Ken (N2TRUX)

Looking at your latest pic I decided I have to open my big mouth & give my 2cents on your valve cover ideas. I dont think the chrome covers fit your truck style at all. I really like the painted black ones. What do you think of a center stripe through them matching the red of your interior or the yellow/gold color in your side trim. I think either color would look pretty cool with your black & silver color scheme. Like I said, just my 2cents...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Ken (N2TRUX)

I was wondering when someone would have to speak out. n2billet has been wanting me to open my thread since I posted it. I decided to keep this one closed for a while and write it more like an article since most of the work is already done.

In response to your concern I will say this. The chrome valve covers are what came with the motor. I do like chrome, but I am not a big fan of adding anything with a bowtie. I think everyone knows it a Chevy without having to advertise it.

Like I said in the post, those were being test fit to see how they look. There will be other changes along the way that will make a huge difference in the final appearence.

For those of you that haven't seen the article that Corn is reffering to look here- 77 Cheyenne meets Ramjet 350 by N2TRUX

I really appreciate your input. Keep the cards and letters coming...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I think your project is lookin sick mang!! Good job thus far. Cant wait to see it complete!!

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
f.monroe

I think Ken is holding back on the pics . I think I remember seeing a picture of the engine with the smoothed and coated exhaust manifolds on it . In that picture it had a real nice smooth set of silver valve covers that looked perfect on that engine . I might be wrong but I did seem to remember a nicer picture . Frank
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Ric83

Those black ones do look sick on that engine.

I do have a question for you though Ken. Why the maroon color sample?? Just because of the interior or...??

BTW, I like the fact that you do have it closed. That way when done, it is a lot easier to go thru the whole thing and see the progress w/o having to sort thru other posts.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
f.monroe

Here is the link to the picture I am talking about . Ken posted it in November .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=179918

It looks real nice in this picture . Frank
Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric83
I do have a question for you though Ken. Why the maroon color sample?? Just because of the interior or...??
We were considering all options. Since it has an "Oxblood" or maroon (?) interior that is being considered as an accent color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe
...It looks real nice in this picture . Frank
Good eye Frank. That is a newer pic than the ones I have posted in the article. The question is, will that be the final version or is that just another test?

Stay tuned....

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-14-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Izzy
Trucker.

Will it be ready for Dustoff?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Izzy I hope to have it by then. Stoked Out has been pretty busy getting cars ready for Dallas Auto-Rama. Now that they are done with that they should be able to get back on my 77.

What's the date for Dust Off this year?

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
bigarmzz

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

ken, once again, you da man brotha

i'd like to have "just" the money ya got in that motor...i could build an addition onto my house
Old 02-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Ken (N2TRUX)

Ken,

Are you gonna run thoes ram horn man's??

I think that Eng. would be happier with a set of free flowing headers bolted to it.

Isn't that the Ramjet that was going into the Blazer?

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
...i'd like to have "just" the money ya got in that motor...i could build an addition onto my house
BigZ if I had your money, I would burn mine. As tight as you are, I know you have a mattress full somewhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER
Are you gonna run thoes ram horn man's??
I think that Eng. would be happier with a set of free flowing headers bolted to it. Isn't that the Ramjet that was going into the Blazer?
Yes, I am going to run the Ram Horns. Between buying a used set, replacing them with a new set, having the new set polished and coated I have a small fortune in them. You gotta believe I'm gonna run em. Yes the motor might be happier with long tube headers, dual exhaust with 3" after pipes. Unfortunately I would not. Actually the 2.5" ramhorns flow as well as most shorty headers do.
No the Ramjet was never intended to go in the Blazer. The Blazer already has an LS1 in it...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Jebb1978

I have got to open my mouth too just because I can't help it (everyone else is doing it). Before you started this current project your truck had only the upgrades that I would have wanted to do to mine. I perfer a truck that is mostly stock but I am a sucker for big wheels and I have always felt that the lower you can get them the better they look. Usually when a truck goes much further than that it starts to look like too much to me. I had never seen a truck that walked the stocker line without going too far as well as yours. When I first saw your plans I honestly thought you were going to ruin it for me. This has not been the case thus far, I have enjoyed all your pics and dare I say maybe my narrow minded views are starting to broaden a bit. You have a good eye for detail and a great sense of style. Keep up the good work as you have renewed my faith.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
..... I had never seen a truck that walked the stocker line without going too far as well as yours. When I first saw your plans I honestly thought you were going to ruin it for me. This has not been the case thus far, I have enjoyed all your pics and dare I say maybe my narrow minded views are starting to broaden a bit. You have a good eye for detail and a great sense of style. Keep up the good work as you have renewed my faith.
Trust me, I had the very same apprehensions about doing this as you. I think no matter what direction you go with a custom truck you have to decide on a theme and stick with it. I liked the look that had been created, and was very much against smoothing everything out and going away from the stock look. Roger and Keith persueded me to trust them. To say I was reluctant is being polite. They had to drag me screaming and kicking all the way to get where we are now. When it's done the end result should be a tasteful merging of old and new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99
Ken (N2TRUX),... I am watching your build also. Just wondered why your "sticky" was locked now? I was enjoying the thread!
It was locked from the beginning. I wanted to write the article before I unlocked it.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 AM   #15
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Your 'tape-delayed' write-up (and, of course, your build-up) is coming along nicely.
I'm with you on the logos, but I came across some retro scripted valve covers that look cool. They do cost a couple of 'fully-polished pennies' though. (No centerbolt offerings.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
... dare I say maybe my narrow minded views are starting to broaden a bit. ...
Be careful, exposing your mind with all that attention to detail and 'subtle' mods will certainly broaden it. Don't ask me how I know.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Ken (N2TRUX),... I am watching your build also. Just wondered why your "sticky" was locked now? I was enjoying the thread!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

WOW! boxrodz those are killer reproductions of the early script valve covers. Trust me I consider those as well as many other "ribbed" style valve covers. I still have a set of original LT-1 valve covers that I had on the other motor too. They make adapters to use the rim bolt style on center bolt heads, so they would work.

Stay tuned to see which way we go with this...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #18
bigblock73
yeller

Ken, do you need baffle or oil fill holes on your valve covers? If so, I am curious as to how you will make them work should you go with a cover like boxrodz posted.

Those covers do look sweet, and I considered them for my big block.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Jeff,
Yes you need some sort of breather and a oil fill opening as well. I had considered the curved bolt on style.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #20
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Jeff,
Yes you need some sort of breather and a oil fill opening as well. I had considered the curved bolt on style.
That might be cool since it looks a bit like the pod you had made for your suspension switches.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

IT LIVES!!! I just got of the phone with Keith and the Ramjet is alive. There have been a couple of issues with the starter and they got that solved today. They fired it up and she rumbles quite nicely. More details to come...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #22
bigblock73
yeller

Sweet Ken! I am surprised you weren't there to hear them fire it for the first time...that is something I just love!

Can't wait to see it all buttoned up.

BTW - you getting new wheels too? If so, care to share?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Sweet Ken! I am surprised you weren't there to hear them fire it for the first time...that is something I just love...BTW - you getting new wheels too? If so, care to share?
Yeah I wish I had been there Jeff. Keith put my motor on the phone so I could listen but it just wasn't the same as hearing it in person.

They actually took it outside under it's own power for the first time in over a year. It threw some error codes that they fixed then set the timing on it. He said it sounds really strong, and pulls very hard.

I'm still undecided on what to do about wheels. I really want something chrome so I don't have to polish billet. Unfortunately everything that comes in chrome doesn't have the correct backspace or if it does I don't think the style would look good on my truck. I'm still looking...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #24
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Congratulations, N2.
I won't be long 'til it's out on the streets. Looking forward to seeing (and hearing?) more details.

I, too, thought that you were getting new shoes. I've heard some go with a clear powder coat on billet wheels. But, I don't know how they look. You've probably already considered that option. I wish there was more vintage/retro-looking wheels out there.

BTW, I think I saw the shop guys was opening 'er up outside of Rockwall without the hood and front completely buttoned up.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #25
f.monroe

Ken, I think I mentioned to you once before that I would like to own the wheels you have so if you decide to sell , I would like a chance to buy them . If you decide to sell the valve covers , I am interested there too since I do want to change mine out . The wheels would be nice because I am in driving distance .
On another topic . What are you using for a stereo in that 77 ? I noticed the factory in several pictures but wondered if something else was in it now .Frank