The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Proper way to tap into a wire

I was working on my front disk swap which I had to have oral surgery due to broken tooth!. Now, I am off of any mild to heavy work for 2 weeks per my oral surgen!. God D.. it hurts!! (pocket and gums!!). Any way, since I can not sit still I thought do some electrical work.This might be very simple for most of you but I have not done this before. I need to tap into some wires without cutting them. Is it just like removing the cover from the original wire then twist the new one along it (solder it preferably) or is there any kind of connection or tool for it?
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
QKENUF4U

Re: Proper way to tap into a wire

good luck with the tooth. guess ive been lucky cause ive had no pain from any of my oral operations (wisdom teeth,broken cheek bone etc.)
anyways, they do make a small blue connection that clamps down on both wires at the same time. it has a metal insert that cuts into the sire and feeds power to whatever wire you need power on. i dont like them personally.
you could strip the wire and solder the other wire to it then cover it with liuqid black tape or just black tape it.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
Old 04-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
Karl Hoh
A little east of nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U
good luck with the tooth. guess ive been lucky cause ive had no pain from any of my oral operations (wisdom teeth,broken cheek bone etc.)
anyways, they do make a small blue connection that clamps down on both wires at the same time. it has a metal insert that cuts into the sire and feeds power to whatever wire you need power on. i dont like them personally.
you could strip the wire and solder the other wire to it then cover it with liuqid black tape or just black tape it.
I feel your pain ( was off work once for 3weeks cuz of an impacted, infected wisdom ) If your wires are inside the cab, I'd use the blue suitcase connectors. Anywhere outside I'd do the solder & liquid tape.
80 K10 350 4spd
76 C60 366 5spd school bus

"THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN BREAK THAT SOMEONE CAN'T BE PAID TO REPAIR"
Karl Hoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

is the broken tooth a result of the brake swap?

http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.com/Scotchloks.htm

I use those, in particular the t-taps.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
sdkid

In or out, here's my method. Cut the wire. Find a butt or splice connector that is appropriate size. Cut the insulation from it. Crimp it to one wire, and slide heat shrink over it. Crimp the two remaining wires into the other end of the splice. Solder the wires into the splice. Slide the heat shrink into place and shrink it. It may be overkill, but I like it. No worries about it being a good connection. Takes a little longer, but in my opinion it worth it.

Help somebody...If you can....VanZant

We're not wrong, we're not sorry, and its probably gonna happen again. That's the truth about men.
Tracy Byrd

Member# 13924
'70 c10, 350/350
'68 c10 250/4spd
'68 c10 no eng/trans fac ps/pb/ac/at
(future father/sons project)
'48 Chevy Loadmaster
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
djracer

I strongly recomend the Ttaps also! The trick to them is to make sure you have the Ttap for the right gauge wire! They are color coded!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
bigjimzlll

I will not use the 3m style T tap connectors. After years in the electrical field I have seen these fail many times. They actually nick/cut the wire. When you add in vibration and/or moisture you are asking for heat in the termination. The "proper" way would be to strip and twist then solder. I have done the butt connector way too. I usually end up using a termination block...because it seems there is usually more than one connection

If you use them...check them from time to time. I found one that was on my tail lights that had been there for years...it was still good, found one on the radio..only a couple of years old...and the insulation was melted.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
sdmahr

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR SOLDER !

Sorry, didn't mean to yell !

As said before, solder and shrink wrap is your best option. But, when simply tapping a wire, I take 1/4" or so of insulation off, wrap the new wire in, solder, and tape it real well. Without solder, eventually your connection will begin to degrade, leading to a failure.

I too have seen these "quick-taps" fail over and over again. This is especially true if used outside the vehicle.

Good luck !
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimzlll
I will not use the 3m style T tap connectors. After years in the electrical field I have seen these fail many times. They actually nick/cut the wire. When you add in vibration and/or moisture you are asking for heat in the termination. The "proper" way would be to strip and twist then solder. I have done the butt connector way too. I usually end up using a termination block...because it seems there is usually more than one connection

If you use them...check them from time to time. I found one that was on my tail lights that had been there for years...it was still good, found one on the radio..only a couple of years old...and the insulation was melted.
I CAN'T STAND USING THOSE ALSO... A FEW YEARS BACK I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE "MICRO TORCHES", & LET ME TELL YOU THEY ARE THE CATS @SS FOR SOLDERING WIRES TOGETHER OR LIGHTING YOUR CIGAR. THEY ARE SMALL & EASY TO USE. JUST STRIP THE WIRES, TWIST EM TOGETHER, MELT A LITTLE SOLDER ON & IN THE CONNECTION, & COVER WITH SHRINK TUBING. IT'S PERMANENT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
dennislbrooks

The 3M UB2A scotchlocs (if you can find them) work fine on 18 ga or smaller wire- moisture sealed. If larger, I agree it is hard to beat solder and shrink. Mechanical crimp would be my next choice if you cannot solder it, then shrink.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

They also make a crimp style that resembels 3 eylet connectors riveted together. These work well and are pretty quick to install!
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #13
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I cut the insulation off of the existing wire. Seperate the wires so there is a gap to slip your new wire into. With the new wire inserted into the gap, make a fork at the end of your new wire. Bring the wires back aroung the original wires and twist them together. Solder the whole mess, and cover with black tape or shrink tape.

This is how some of the newer cars splice wires. Hasn't ever failed me. Splice clips on the other hand are prone to failure.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #14
70 longbed

I know you said you didn't want to cut, but there is a connector out there that is easy to use, solders and seals all in one and makes a water tight connection. Cut, one wire one end, two wires the other end, heat and you are done; melts the solder for the wires and the glue in the sleeve. I will look and see if I can get a manufacturer. Go out to WAYTEK wire and look around, they have alot of stuff.

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I go with solder.
Shifty: broken tooth was not the result of the brake. Thank God!. It was suppose to be simple procedure which turn to extraction and extraction turn to a mess!!. It was not the Dr's fault since I know I have crappy teeth. Anyways, thanks for sympathies too.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #16
chevyboy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 longbed
I know you said you didn't want to cut, but there is a connector out there that is easy to use, solders and seals all in one and makes a water tight connection. Cut, one wire one end, two wires the other end, heat and you are done; melts the solder for the wires and the glue in the sleeve. I will look and see if I can get a manufacturer. Go out to WAYTEK wire and look around, they have alot of stuff.
Please tell me more about these!
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
70 longbed

Check out waytekwire.com and or electerm.com. It is probably recommended these are crimped as well (I know I would and do) but the solder and adhesive in the sleeve will hold them together.

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote