The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
syntech

Exclamation dumb question

allright as you can tell from the the title, this is kind of a dumb question, but i just had to ask. why are my headers getting so hot? Im not talking about with a hour or for that fact 5 min's of running, they get to about 600 degrees in about a 30 seconds of running at ideal and i had a friend look at it and he said its was a blockage in the exhaust somewhere but im getting more than enought at the tailpipe, or the timing is way off, which it is off but not that much, but i have not seen an exhaust get that hot that quick from a timing problem, i just wanted to get some more input on it before i go ripping out my exhaust, and any help will allways help. thanks josh
syntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Re: dumb question

It sounds like the timing issue is correct. If you run too lean with the timing and air fuel mixture then you can be in trouble with the chamber being too hot and the exhaust is only going to be hotter. Time it correctly and adjust the air/fuel ratio. Use a vacuum gauge to help the ratio out.

If the exhaust was clogged somewhere it would back up into the engine and it would have a closer chance of it being dying on you.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've never timed how long it takes to get headers hot... but I've seen them over 1200 degrees after driving.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
syntech

well i dont really know thats why i had to ask, but the reason i ask is because, i keep burning through plug boots, so i was just wondering if the headers would heat up that quick normally. now i have taken care of the plug boot problem,(i.e. i hit it with a hammer) but like i said it was a dumb question that i just had to ask. and i did just adjust the timing and the air/fuel mixture, and it cooled off a little but not alot, so i kinda gather that it's just normal for them to get that hot. but thanks for the help.
syntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Believe me, headers do get hot. I have had them glow in the dark when I was running the engine on a "cold Idle" with the choke plate partially shut. The trick is to get the timing set and then work on your fuel mixtures. What have you done to this lately? Have you changed anything out, carb, distributor, or even air filter assembly? What is your timing set at and what are your idle screws set at now?

Last edited by piecesparts; 08-14-2006 at 04:39 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote