The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
Alvin
Never Done?

Question Hit a snag installing rear bags... help

So I was all set to get the rear bags installed on my 68 this weekend. But I have a couple problems. First, the mounting studs on top of my firestone 2600 bags are just far enough apart to make drilling holes in the frame a problem. Either one of them is too close to the inside of the frame (thus preventing turning a nut), or the other is half off the lower part of the c-notch. The other problem is that the studs on the airbag are much shorter than I would like. With having to go thru the c-notch plate, the lower part of the shock cross member, and the frame - I'll only be able to get the nuts threaded on half-way.

I know this may be confusing, but I'll get some pictures when I get home. Any help is appreciated.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Hit a snag installing rear bags... help

I am interested in this post as well. I am in the process of installing my C-notcehs from CPP and ran into the problem with the studs being too short this weekend too. I am almost ready to cut out most of the lower portion of the cross member& frame and bolting the bags straight to the c-notch itself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on this end too.

Last edited by Shane; 10-09-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
jimmydean

Not sure how the mounting is on the Firestone bags, but the Slam Specialties bags I am mounting are tight, but they fit. Hope this helps.

Here's a pic from MrShelley's install guide:

jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

Yeah ... I got all of that jimmydean ... except when you bolt in the 1/4" thick C-Notch, the studs are too short to get a washer and nut on.

That's where I am having problems.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Yeah ... I got all of that jimmydean ... except when you bolt in the 1/4" thick C-Notch, the studs are too short to get a washer and nut on.

That's where I am having problems.
I used nylon lock-nuts on them & eliminated the space taken up by the lock-washer.

IIRC, the newer generation bags are all tapped vs. having studs so you can use whatever length bolt required for each application.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I used nylon lock-nuts on them & eliminated the space taken up by the lock-washer.

IIRC, the newer generation bags are all tapped vs. having studs so you can use whatever length bolt required for each application.
Ahhhh.. I couldn't figure out why they were having problems. I was just like "use a longer bolt!". On my slams I just used a 3/8x1-1/2 grade 8 bolt, through the frame and c-notch right into the bag. I drilled holes lengthwise on the frame, not across like the picture.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
jimmydean

That sucks, I can't help you there. I haven't gotten to the rear yet since I am still working on the front (should be done tonight or tomorrow).
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Shane
Account Suspended

mine are drilled length wise too ... the firestone bags I have use studs ... and apparently they are pressed in from the back/inside portion of the top plate ... looks like I will be cutting a clearance hole in the shock crossmember and bolting the bags directly to the c-notch ... piss poor design, but other than buying 2 new bags, I don't know what else to do.

Last edited by Shane; 10-09-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
Alvin
Never Done?

Good to know I'm not the only one having this trouble; I hadn't seen it mentioned before. Guess I'll see if I can pull it off the same way you're trying to Shane. If not, it will probably come down to buying new bags.

Ethel has been sold.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
thekid54

Could you possibly mount the bags up-side down? I don't know if that would help at all. Other than that, I'd get new bags. Slam specialties are far superior to firestones IMHO.
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid54 View Post
Could you possibly mount the bags up-side down? I don't know if that would help at all. Other than that, I'd get new bags. Slam specialties are far superior to firestones IMHO.
Sure they can be mounted upside-down. Superior? Based on what factual criteria?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

nevermind ....

Last edited by Shane; 10-09-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
PBFAB.COM

Firestones are MY preferred choice. I'd rather have a bag that is designed to offer a quality ride vs. one that is designed to hold a zillion psi!!!

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

thank you SCOTI and porterbuilt ... now you may understand why I went back and deleted my last post and said nevermind.

i love how some folks offer answers but no explanation as to why.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #15
thekid54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
thank you SCOTI and porterbuilt ... now you may understand why I went back and deleted my last post and said nevermind.

i love how some folks offer answers but no explanation as to why.
It wasn't meant as an "answer" it is merely my opinion. That's why I said "IMHO"! It is simply that, an opinion, take it or leave it. The Slams I have are only rated for 200psi, not a zillion. Yes, some models are rated for much more, and I agree that is just stupid. Different strokes for different folks. Most of the people I talk to (about 80%) prefer Slams over Firestones. The Slams would also help you solve you installation problems since they don't have studs. Geez, I don't jump on you for stating your opinions, so don't jump on me!

As far as factual data, go compare for yourself. For starters, the Slams give you more lift than a comparable Firestone bag without as much "balloning" as a Firestone, and that's an important factor to me. Firestones may give you everything you've ever dreamed of and more, but they haven't really worked for me. I have had threaded inserts come out of Firestone sleeve bags before, which to say the least, didn't really impress me!

Last edited by thekid54; 10-10-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
PBFAB.COM

Kid-
Didn't realize I was "jumping" on anyone... don't take offense to my OPINION either.

If we all liked the same thing life would be pretty boring.

Slam's bags definitely have their advantages... just depends on your application. They're a good product... just not my first pick.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:29 AM   #17
thekid54

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
Kid-
Didn't realize I was "jumping" on anyone... don't take offense to my OPINION either.

If we all liked the same thing life would be pretty boring.

Slam's bags definitely have their advantages... just depends on your application. They're a good product... just not my first pick.
No offense taken. I wasn't jumping on you either. Sorry for the confusion, but I wasn't referring to you when I made the "jumping" comment. Yes, you are right, it all depends on your application. In my application I need a lot of lift, Firestones just wouldn't work for me.

BTW I love your dropmember, if I hadn't all ready Z'd my frame I probably would have gone that route!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid54 View Post
..... Sorry for the confusion, but I wasn't referring to you when I made the "jumping" comment.
All I asked is for you to offer factual data that supported your opinion so I hope that comment wasn't aimed toward me either.

I personally have only used Firestones but I'm open to options if I have good, accurate info . . ......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-10-2006, 03:25 AM   #19
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

Dont forget the builtin bumpstops on slams so you can drive aired out without destroying them. I have also heard not done myself just heard they ride just as good with or without shocks.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #20
Alvin
Never Done?

So I looked it over last night, and I think I'm going to try it the same way Shane is planning on doing it. I'll drill two 3/8" holes through the c-notch and the frame/shock crossmember, then remove the c-notch and drill out the frame/shock crossmember with my step-bit large enough so the washer/nut for the air bag studs will fit. I think this is the easiest way to retain as much strength in the area as possible.

I also like the idea of all 4 airbags on my truck being the same. So if I want to have a spare on hand for a road trip, I only (technically) need one bag. Oh, and I already have the Firestones... I don't wanna lose money on re-selling them and then have to buy more expensive slams bags.

Ethel has been sold.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
Inthuwind
Straight jacket required

[QUOTE=Alvin;1824160] I'll drill two 3/8" holes through the c-notch and the frame/shock crossmember, then remove the c-notch and drill out the frame/shock crossmember with my step-bit large enough so the washer/nut for the air bag studs will fit. QUOTE]

You beat me to it!! I was going to suggest the step bit. I have the actual weld in "C"notch and drilled my holes length ways in the frame. Make sure you drill the air fitting large enough to be able to thread it in from within the frame. It's a bear. I too, have the 2600 Firestone bags. Just put them in last night and came upon your thread. Good luck with the install and give us pics!!
3/5 static/ 12bolt rear 3:73
1979 Pontiac Trans Am
10th Anniversary/455/4spd
2011 H-D Street Glide - CAMMED n lowered
Dad always said,"Son, if you can't be good...be good at it."
Inthuwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
jimmydean

I ran Slams because of the bump stops. Also, the reviews I read said they didn't baloon like some others, but there is plenty of room on our trucks that it isn't much of an issue anyway.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #23
Shane
Account Suspended

It was aimed at me, but whatever.

I already own Firestone bags, as does Alvin, so suggesting for either of us to buy some other brand as a solution to our problems is a moot point.

The original post did not ask which bag one prefers, but how to mount a certain type. That being the Firestone. Slam Specialties is probably good stuff ... I don't know ... I don't care (nothing personal to the SS guys) ... I, along with Alvin, was curious about installs of Firestone bags.

Ok ... now that we're all friends again, let's get the post back on topic.

Last edited by Shane; 10-10-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #24
jimmydean

So can you not mount the Firestone bags sideways? Guess that's where I'm lost.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #25
Alvin
Never Done?

Apparently you can mount them sideways. I had just never seen it done that way. Figured I'd poke around here and see if anybody had some ingenius way to fix the problem, and I always feel better knowing I'm not the only one with the problem. When I looked at the possibility of mounting them sideways, I still had the problem of the studs not being long enough, but I can work around that now. I'll post pics whenever I get to work on the truck again. Dealing with some identity theft right now, who knows how much time that'll eat up!

Ethel has been sold.