The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
71/454
Turbo Guy

pilot bearing install

I've done a search and did not find anything for exact instructions on installing a pilot bearing. My 454 has a brass bushing installed in it now even though it came out of an automatic, but it does show signs of use. To be on the safe side I bought a new one and the parts store guy gave me a bearing instead of a bushing. My only question is, the bushing in there now appears to be pressed in all the way to the bottom. The parts store guy said to drive the bearing in flush. What is the correct way to install the pilot bearing? Thanks

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Re: pilot bearing install

I have always installed mine bottomed out no problems my .02

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
OhioDan

I've always found a bolt or rod just big enough to fit the center hole.(loosely) Fill the hole and behind it with grease. Place the bolt or rod into the center hole and hit with hammer. It will hydaulic the old one out. Might have to refill a couple times to get it out all the way? Once it's out, clean out grease. Place new pilot bearing into hole. Beveled side out. Prefer to use a driver here. Tap new bearing into place. Careful not to peen the inside hole.(makes trans installation very difficult if you do)

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

What OD said.I use a brass drift.That way it wont mar the bearing at all.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
71/454
Turbo Guy

So bottom out the pilot bearing? not install it flush?

12 bolt diff
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

For removing the above mentioned will work sometimes, if not then split it with a chisel.

Install, I use a wooden dowel rod like in a closet and flush the bearing to the outer edge of crank.
P.S. look close at the inner of the bearing or bushing some are tapered so the pilot shaft will align better so make sure it points out.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakysnake View Post
For removing the above mentioned will work sometimes, if not then split it with a chisel.

Install, I use a wooden dowel rod like in a closet and flush the bearing to the outer edge of crank.
P.S. look close at the inner of the bearing or bushing some are tapered so the pilot shaft will align better so make sure it points out.
I run a tap in mine, & use a BB Olds balancer bolt to push it out.....dont remember the thread size for sure, but I think it was 9/16 NA fine. this will push that old bushing out nicely. as far as how deep.....to the bottom works fine, but flush with the 1st step will give a little more coverage on the bearing.....either way should run you fine tillthe next clutch change L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

The bearing is supposed to be flush. The load on the main shaft is lower.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
slomotion
Old Duffer

If at all possible, measure the distance from the face of the bell housing to the deepest part of the crank where the bushing lives. Then measure the distance from the face of the trans to the end of the clutch splines where they taper to the bushing surface. Compare these two dimensions to determine where the bushing wants to go.

The only reason I mention this is because in my case I had to drive the bushing in another 3/8" beyond flush because the tapered end of the splines bottomed out on the bushing, not allowing the trans to "seat" properly.

Just my .02 Good Luck!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Makin me think again??? Like I stated before I have always bottomed mine out with no problems even in my race applications (circle track) but, that was because that was the way I was told to do it not meaning it was right. I have looked in a few of my books here at the house and none of them actualy say one way or the other. hmmmm. Also just to add I always go with the roller replacement bearing instead of the bushing only a couple more$$. Does anyone have some real tech on how it should be positioned flush or bottomed out. Seems like slomotion has it right IMO though.

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 03-06-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
71/454
Turbo Guy

Thanks guys for all your input. I think I will play it safe and try to measure like was suggested. I'm glad I asked, Thanks again.

12 bolt diff
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
manimal

To remove the bushing,use a course tap.Tap it until it comes out-DONE! I have used a piece of PVC and or a wooden dowel to install new ones,you wont have to worry about 'peening' it.Just a thought.
-Lance
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
70rs/ss

I like the bushing alot more than the bearing. Let it soak overnight in a lightweight engine oil 0w20 if you can get it. the bushing will never come apart like the bearing will (they always do). My trans guy (building em for over 45 years) swears by the bushing. As if you weren't already confused with all the other advice, sorry.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

70rs/ss ya have apoint there in less is more. Less moveable parts means less to fail, but I have never had one come apart on me. I don't have much experiance in higher milage street applications my is on track stuff being replaced at shorter intervals with no failures.

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!