The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Lightning

Transmission or Transfercase?

I have a 1976 Chevy blazer that i use for a plow truck and somthing locked up and i cant get it to move now.
I was plowin snow on saturday, and it was working fine, but i parked the truck and went in the house for awhile, when i went back out to finish up, i started the truck.. but it acted like it was under a load... just sitting there in park...
it was odd but not enough for me to care... so i went to put the truck back into high range.. and the lever would not move.. i put the truck into drive.. and it was acting like the parking brake was on... would not move at all.
so i shut it off, and then i was able to go from high range to low range in the transfer case.. and if i put the transfer case in neutral the truck will roll... but the motor is acting like its fighting something????

so what could have happened? i cant figure out why it would work fine.. then when i shut it off.. .and come back to it later and it flat out wont move....
Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Transmission or Transfercase?

That is a strange one... Normally when an auto tranny breaks, the engine just spins freely. Especially for it to be having problems in park yet.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Lightning

i know.. and usually they don't break from taken a break... i would have thought if soothing was gonna happen it would have happened while i was plowing... not between shut down and startup.....
Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
lurch115

odds are that the tranny crapped out.....i have seen several auto trannies finally crap out and stay in gear even when they are in park...which is why you probably weren't able to shift from low range back up to high range with the engine running....as for not wanting to move easily...that has me kinda stumped....i'd say pull the pumkin covers off and make sure that nothing is broke in the axles first....and then maybe try it in 2 wheel drive and if it acts like its always in gear the tranny is out...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Lightning

thanks for the input, i have to figure out how to get this thing in the garage now so i can rip into it...
Old 03-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Lightning

Well i got the truck in the garage and pulled the pan on the transmission...
i dont know much about auto transmissions... so i'm not sure what each part inside is.. . but there is a 1/4 sprocket that looks like it is the stop for each gear and there is a spring loaded roller that stops the sprocket.
but the sprocket is loose and the roller doesnt ride up and down the cogs... and i dont see anything that would hold that thing in place..
does anyone know what that is suppose to hold that?