The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Tune up (or what?) Suggestions...

Okay, so I posted a starting problem on Friday. I got home that afternoon and managed to get the truck started, but there is definitely something going on. She's running rough (even stalling at lights) and the exhaust is black and smelling rich. This even happens with the engine hot - choke is open. At driving speeds, she seems to run fine.

So, I'm gonna start with a long overdue tune-up (plugs, wires, filters, etc.) and see how she performs then.

My question is - - are there any particular things I should be looking at? Does it sound like anything specific? I realize the symptoms could probably be anything, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Tune up (or what?) Suggestions...

After putting my truck together had the same problem tuned out at idle i was a little low on carb adjustment and i had the truck to retarted. After tuneing and doing some disributor turning she runs great. Dont know if it would help to fix your but that what i did.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 03-18-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Gotta love our trucks...

Went to my local parts store for the basic tune-up parts and spent a total of $112.20 plus taxes (remember this is in Canadian $$$).

Dist. cap and rotor kit: $30.99
Ignition wires (Bosch): 39.19 (onsale - regular price 48.99)
Plugs (NGK) 4 x 6.99: 27.96
Air filter: 5.85
Fuel filter: 2.27
Air breather: 2.99
PCV valve: 2.95

So, I'll get it all installed and see if she runs any better. If not, at least I know I've done "the basics" and at least I didn't have to spend huge $$$.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
bowtiecb

sound like the carb loading up but i hope the tune up works. You only bought 4 plugs y
bowtiecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiecb View Post
sound like the carb loading up but i hope the tune up works. You only bought 4 plugs y
Ah yes - - plugs were 6.99/pair.

When you say "...carb is loading up..." what exactly does that mean? Running rich? Is that just a carb adjustment?

I am still planning to replace the tune-up parts, so I have a "newer" engine to work with, but if it is carb issues, I'll likely need more input.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

If you've got black exhaust there is no question that the carb is way rich.If it's definitely not the choke,then the next thing to check is the float and the needle valve that it controls. I'd say that is 95% chance of fixing it. NOT a difficult procedure at all.
>>Of course if you are running with a totally loaded up air-cleaner you may get the same black smoke.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 03-20-2007 at 03:29 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
If you've got black exhaust there is no question that the carb is way rich.If it's definitely not the choke,then the next thing to check is the float and the needle valve that it controls. I'd say that is 95% chance of fixing it. NOT a difficult procedure at all.
>>Of course if you are running with a totally loaded up air-cleaner you may get the same black smoke.
Thanks Man - I'm curious to see what will happen when I replace the easy stuff first.

How tough is a carb rebuild project on these trucks? It's been about 20+ years since I did a carb rebuild on my 77 Chrysler (318). Ran great after. I assume this baby would be a similar amout of work?

I actually have the original Chevy Factory Service Manuals (incl. a component repair manual) for the truck, so I should have good reference, but there's nothing like personal exprience/advice.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
WorkinLonghorn

It's a piece off cake really. A big plus though is having an air-compressor with the rubber tipped hand nozzle thing for blowing out all the little passageways.Detailed instructions usually come with the kit. In your case,if time is tight,or you just want to go the easy route,just take off the carb top (without dropping the little front screws into the manifold!) and check/replace the float,clean out the bowl,check/replace the needle and seat and be done with it without even having to remove it.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks Man - maybe I'll give that a try.