The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
bryanw1968

AC question.......

I posted this under the motor section and haven't heard anything so I am posting here also. If I wasn't supposed to since it's a question about my '90 and not my '68 sorry but it's getting HOT here in central Texas!

I keep charging my system up and it has been leaking out. So, I've replaced the schrader valves and the orings on the back of the compressor(manifold hose fitting). I pulled a vacuum on it and it held. So I charged it back up and added oil and it blew cold. The low pressure control switch initially didn't work until I tapped on it. Then on the way into work this morning it blew cold but the compressor was cycling about every 2-3 seconds and eventually the compressor just stopped coming on.

My question; Did the freon leak out again or could the low pressure control switch make the system cycle like that. I really don't think I have another leak but I guess it's possible.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: AC question.......

usually when the compressor is cycling that often its because theres to much or not enough refridgerant, for your case id say it was proboly to low. you can buy a cheap set of a/c gauges to see how much prssure the system has. it should be from 80-100psi without the compressor running, both on the high and low sides.

once you figure that out, add dye to the system, its a cheap and usually pretty easy way to find the leak. you'll just need a black light and glasses and it will easy to spot especially if its leaking within a day or two
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote