The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Baby John

Frame Straightening

I installed some new hood hinges and bumpers on Tyler's truck this weekend and realized I have a problem that's probably going to require some body shop time.

The hood doesn't align with the fenders. On the driver's side there's a pretty tight joint but on the pass side the joint goes from tight at the fire wall to about a 3/4" to 1" gap at the grille.

Upon closer inspection I see that the front portion of the truck (fenders and the radiator support or crossmember or whatever it is) has been shifted to the passenger side.

The PO made no attempts to correct this other than shimming the drivers side fender just enough for the hood to close. If I were to remove the shims from the drivers side then both sides would be about 3/4" to 1" too far to the left to let the hood close.

So....I suspect the vehicle was hit fairly hard in the front on the drivers side at one point.

I'm expecting that the frame horns are both bent.

Do y'all think this is a trip to the body shop for frame alignment or is this something I might can do myself.

I have a welder and cutting torches and all that jazz. Is it possible I can maybe install a turnbuckle on an angle from the drivers side front frame horn and maybe tweek the frame and fenders and radiator support all in one piece?
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
hotroddinrebel

Re: Frame Straightening

I dont know much about straightening the frame, but I have a similar problem with my truck. Not long after my dad bought it from the original owner, the truck was hit by some stupid teenage girl running a redlight. He took it to a chevy dealership that screwed it up royally. now 18 years after the accident my buddy was noticing that when he drives behind me the rear wheels dont track straight. after some looking, the bed doesnt line up quite right either. So my question is the same as Baby John's: is there anything i can do other than a frame jig?
-307 V8(now an RHS built 350)
-TH400 and 12 Bolt with 2.73 gears
hotroddinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
airdale94

I use to work with a guy that straitened the frame on his Granada by wrapping a chain around his frame and a tree then reversing several times. Said he got it real close.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Dano69c10

I had the same type of problem.
I would move the radiator support to center the hood between the fenders and then start the shimming process.
If that doesn't help, then you might have bent frame issues.
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!

Last edited by Dano69c10; 08-27-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
I had the same type of problem.
I would move the radiator support to center the hood between the fenders and then start the shimming process.
If that doesn't help, then you might have bent frame issues.
Dano
That makes alot of sense.

So I could slot the holes in the radiator support so that in a sense I could shift the support and the fenders together.

I'm guessing there's a crossmember that attaches @ the ends of the frame rails.

I sure wish I had a factory service manual.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Dano69c10

You shouldn't have to slot the holes, at least on my trucks the holes are big enough to allow adjustment.
Dano

Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale94 View Post
I use to work with a guy that straitened the frame on his Granada by wrapping a chain around his frame and a tree then reversing several times. Said he got it real close.
Is that like a chiropractic adjustment?
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

you would be amazed what you can do with a large tree, a come-a-long, a porta power, and couple of chains.

You don't have anything to loose right?

If you can't get it straight (or straighter), then swap the frame for another. Replacing the frame would be way cheaper than having a bodyshop straighten it.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
you would be amazed what you can do with a large tree, a come-a-long, a porta power, and couple of chains.

You don't have anything to loose right?

If you can't get it straight (or straighter), then swap the frame for another. Replacing the frame would be way cheaper than having a bodyshop straighten it.

Well, it might for some people, but not for me. I don't want to get into all that. I'm just wanting a fairly clean old truck for my son to ride to school in. No frame off resto or anything like that. I don't want this thing in pieces for a year while I restore it. I want to drive it now and again and fix stuff on the weekends but be able to drive it again on Monday.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby John View Post
Well, it might for some people, but not for me. I don't want to get into all that. I'm just wanting a fairly clean old truck for my son to ride to school in. No frame off resto or anything like that. I don't want this thing in pieces for a year while I restore it. I want to drive it now and again and fix stuff on the weekends but be able to drive it again on Monday.
Well then John, excuse me...

These are your choices (as I see it, your milage and actual results may vary):

1. have your son keep driving it to school sideways
2. pay an outragious hourly charge to have it straightened
3. replace it

BEATERS ARE NEATER

Last edited by Bus Ted Knuckle; 08-27-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
Well then John, excuse me...

These are your choices (as I see it, your milage and actual results may vary):

1. have your son keep driving it to school sideways
2. pay an outragious hourly charge to have it straightened
3. replace it
Dang Bill...sounds like you may have taken offense to my post. I didn't intend to offend you so if I did, then well...sorry about that.

I guess I should have said, that I'm not up to the challenge of swapping the frame. Not mechanically inclined enough either. I'll take on a small project here or there as long as it doesn't require too much down time from the old truck, but the frame swap at least for me, would put me out of commission for too long. May even cause me to get frustrated with the old girl and want to pile it all up and throw it away.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

I had just a second to look at it yesterday afternoon and found that there appears to be two bolts through the radiator support and into the front crossmember and one of the nuts is missing. The rad support is just being held on with one bolt.

I'm thinking that maybe there should also be rubber bushings in that fit up as well.

This sound familiar?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Dano69c10

Yes thoseare the two bolts. There should also be ru bber bushings, maybe some can post a pic for ya.
Dano

Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
dan42

Shoot - can't stop on 666.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
Shoot - can't stop on 666.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #15
70rs/ss

It really sounds as though the rad support bushings may be gone? If the nut fell off at least one part of the bushing is gone. Buy the bushings and some bolts (2) and set up the front clip, by loosening all the fender to body bolts and move the clip till it lines up. If the frame is indeed bent, get it fixed it will not be safe. If you are not sure get an alignment shop to check the front end out. If it is straight you have a crooked body on a straight frame and that is easy to "fix" or align, by following the above suggestions. PICTS will help us help you, the more the better.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 08-28-2007 at 02:10 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
It really sounds as though the rad support bushings may be gone? If the nut fell off at least one part of the bushing is gone. Buy the bushings and some bolts (2) and set up the front clip, by loosening all the fender to body bolts and move the clip till it lines up. If the frame is indeed bent, get it fixed it will not be safe. If you are not sure get an alignment shop to check the front end out. If it is straight you have a crooked body on a straight frame and that is easy to "fix" or align, by following the above suggestions. PICTS will help us help you, the more the better.

Thanks a million guys. I understand fully what you're talking about.

I imagine that the truck needs new body mounts all around and it could even be that the cab is shifted some on the frame. (Right?)

You're right about the 1/2 the bushing missing too. There just a bolt sticking through from the top. The holes in the crossmember are really big.

Oh, and one other thing....earlier when I said I had 3/4" gap....I was exaggerating somewhat. I looked again and it's more like 1/4" to 3/8".

Not as big a problem as I'd suspected.

Thanks again fellas. Really really good website. Lots of really smart folks.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I have a buddy who straightened his frame using a bottle jack, and welding rod in the areas that the frame was already ok, and then spreading the bent areas with the bottle jack. I imagine it takes some finesse to do it that way, but can be done.

I am just about to replace the body mounts on my truck, and will take pics through the way, I can post them when I get them done. Hopefully I don't run out of daylight today!
|M|

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72

Last edited by Mordachai; 10-07-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
xshadow

I would start with aligning the front clip. It doesn't sound like it's on right. You need the rubber mounts for the radiator support. try to line it up like the other guy said. I don't think the front (radiator support) would have to be off by much to create that gap. especially if your missing the rubber mounts. You should have one rubber mount that the radiator support sits on and another under it with the nut holding it on. The front clip will not line up right without the mount. If the fenders are bolted to the cab and the front isn't sitting right the whole front clip will be shifted to cause the gap. Sounds like the front of the clip needs to be shifted over to the passenger side a bit. You will probably need a couple guys to help. Unbolt both front radiator support mounts and try to shift it over. It may not be easy. when we put my front clip on we had it sitting off a little. it took a bit of effort to get it lined up right. Try the cheap and easier fix first then think about the frame....you may not have a problem....also if your missing the rubber mounts and don't want to spend the money on all new mounts I'm sure one of the guys on here will sell you the mounts and bolt/nut for it. If you just replace some of the mounts with new ones my guess would be the new ones will be a little thicker (no wear) and may throw you off somewhere....but I could be wrong I see people on here selling parts all the time. I can tink of some that has whole parts trucks. I'm sure they have some extra rad. support mounts just pm them.

Last edited by xshadow; 10-07-2007 at 07:50 PM.
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
xshadow

Really that sounds like the root of all your problems. I wouldn't mess with the cab if this is a driver. who knows how long you have only had one bolt holding that radiator support. the front has shifted. get the new/used mounts and play with the clip untill it lines up...If your just driving it PM someone that has been selling lots of parts or parts trucks and see if they have what you need. I know billsbowtie has had alot of parts trucks on there as well as others. I could be wrong but you should make sure that they come from the correct year truck
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote