The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
bodydropped69

Lowered Trucks and the Police

I Have just been pulled over for the 4th time for my truck being modified from original condition. I have many friends with lowered/bagged trucks and I seem to have the most issues with this. Today I was pulled over for my license plate being lower than 18 inches, I have also been pulled over for my license plate light being too bright, my wipers being shaved, I also have been pulled over for having a modified suspension . I live in a city where everyone and there mom has a lifted truck and I would assume from how many there are that they aren't getting hassled too much. One more thing is that I am a younger Hispanic gentleman with both arms sleeved (tattoos) I have never been a gangmember or arrested before. And today when I got pulled over for my truck being too low I get asked what Gang/set I claim and how much Time I have done in prison. I am kind of feeling like I should just get rid of the truck as it seems as I am "asking " to get pulled over , according to what the cop said. I just want to know if anyone else has gone through any of this and If Maybe I am just being too sensitive.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Lowered Trucks and the Police

i was under the impression that arizona had no ride height laws.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
theside00

Sounds like profiling take them to court and make some money for the truck.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
bodydropped69

Thats what I thought about the ride height issue too, but when I brought it up too the cop I was told I was arguing with him and making it worse. I am the last person to say it was a racial issue but after today I just feel like there is definitely some stuff going on. I have been driving that truck for the past three years and today was the first time the ride height issue was ever brought up. I really just want to be able to enjoy driving my truck but after today I feel like I dont even want to deal with this anymore.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydropped69 View Post
Thats what I thought about the ride height issue too, but when I brought it up too the cop I was told I was arguing with him and making it worse. I am the last person to say it was a racial issue but after today I just feel like there is definitely some stuff going on. I have been driving that truck for the past three years and today was the first time the ride height issue was ever brought up. I really just want to be able to enjoy driving my truck but after today I feel like I dont even want to deal with this anymore.
Go to your local precinct. Talk to the zone commander for your area and let him know what's going on. If you were a gang member, you obviously wouldn't be going to the station to talk to him. If nothing else, maybe this will save you some grief.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Most law enforcement officers wouldn't want to admit this...but for them while on patrol, it's all about "making contact". Any "potential" problem they can see regarding the vehicle or your driving...gives them a reason to pull you over. for a lot of folks the vehicle says a little something about the driver and thats what they go by.

Why? Just to see who you are, and what you are up to. Plain and simple. You act suspicious, and it gets even worse. Then they may want to take you and your vehicle apart. It's BS...but its the reality in todays world.

If you look like an "averge joe" while tooling along down the road...they have no reason to mess with you....simply because you don't fit into any of those "trouble" groups. Is it "profiling"? You bet.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
2bits

Yeah, Learned the hard way not to wave at a cop too. Whipped a U and pulled me over and harassed me for my exhaust. Blew my mind...
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
bryanw1968

IMHO the bottom line is this......
Every one of us on this forum have a unique vehicle. Some heavily modified and some bone stockers. They all get attention stock or not just because they're aren't many on the road and they stick out. Something for the police to consider is that someone who is trying to get away with something sneaky is NOT going to be driving around in an attention grabber?!?! Duh......

The problem is the stigma with driving something custom and going fast is associtated with the young irresponsible crowd. It's not always like that. I was at a local hot rod parking lot this w/e and 70% of the car owners were over 60. I thought that was awesome!!!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
powell72

Please try to take no offense, but as a tattooed Hispanic I believe you're being profiled because of how close your apearance might seem to a gang member's. Not fair to you and unfortunate the police have to do that, but I think it's just a fact of life. I think your truck is just the excuse they need to check you out. I'd hate to see you get rid of your truck because of it, but I would understand if you did.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
Old 09-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Relocate the plate.....But dont get rid of the truck . It dose sound like the guy is just in general being a jerk.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
outlawc

I would check the local laws, too many times I have been pulled over in the past for stuff like this but when I checked there were either no laws or the officer "interpreted" the law to justify pulling you over. Sounds like you are being targeted for being hispanic with tattoos, which is just wrong. I would keep the truck, ask some of the lifted/lowered suspension guys if they are being ticketed and if not, I would make an appointment with the Chief of Police as you are clearly being harrassed.

Last edited by outlawc; 09-03-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 AM   #12
BurnoutNova

thats bullsh*t take it as far as you can... and next time ask the cops straight up, are you hassling me becasue of my race, or personal apearance? and see what they say.

ive been pulled over for some crappy reasons and usually call them out on it... it works some of the time
Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
bb1979

Been pulled over 4 times in what time frame. For the last 3 years since I started modifying my truck I've been getting pulled over at least once a week. Being young, having a V8, and a vehicle which looks modified is a good enough reason for the police to pull you over here in Australia for a random roadworthy check or at least follow you for a while. I sometimes wonder why they have the right to do roadworthy checks especially with the officer walks up to me and says "the front of this f**d looks a little low son".

One priceless moment was one afternoon on the way home from work I got pulled over and the officer stated that my exhaust exceded the allowable dB's and i was causing noise pollution. I was then directed to an inspection station wear it was measured and it came in 5dB below the limit. The officer then demanded the test be done again and it still passed and I was free to go. Another one was getting a defect for having a B&M shifter because he couldn't find anything legitamently wrong with it, went to the inspection station and had it passed straight up and the inspector basically said the policeman was an idiot.

I've never had any traffic offences and my truck complies with the laws but still i get pulled over almost anytime a cop sees me, not every policeman just a few. Annoying as it is I won't stop driving my truck. I've been late for work countless times, watch police almost cause accidents in attempts to do u-turns to follow me. Gives me the s**ts but you gotta roll with the punches they have to give up eventually.............well thats what I hope anyway
Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #14
see ten
WTB this ad

See if you can discreetly record these incidents. Most newer cameras have a video mode on them. Even if you don't have the video the conversation is what your ammunition is going to be. I would present it to the chief of police as politely as possible and let him know my next step would be to present it to the mayor/city manager. I would also email links of the video to members of city council. Of course we can't forget the local paper as well as whatever local tv news works the area. I'm sure any newsgroup you approach with proof of being a victim of racial profiling is going to pick the story up and run with it! Be a fighter, not a quitter!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Just ask them to go ahead and give you the ticket.....after a few of these are thrown out of court, you have your evidence of harrassment. Also, if they are pulling your over for BS, they tell you to go on your way.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 09-03-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
72GMCburban

Yeah, being confrontational with police that wrongly pulled you over is a great idea, if you want to have to come up with bail. NO DICE. Face it lowrider, Hispanic, tattoos, congers up images of Colors (movie with sean penn) and cops love that movie lol maybe they are watching that movie in the squad car LOL seriously though are there large latino gangs in your city? You are paying the price for other latinos bad choices, I am sorry to hear that, here in Texas it is the African Americans that get the brunt of the racial profiling, but there again nearly 70% of our cities crime is done by that demographic, my neighbors have all had similar experiences and they are all well off middle class people, one guy got pulled over why? Black in a nice Cadillac. As a teacher it is sad for me to see such racism and ignorance still so alive. Here's a question to gnaw on Why don't Caucasians have kick butt gangs out of Prisons? Actually they do, biker gangs and as a rider I have been pulled over I think because of profiling what can we do? I don't want their job. I say find out the little laws they are jacking you with and fix them all, then if u still get pulled over you will have a strong case in court for profiling. For now you just broke the law and they wanted to be an as$ about it, they could have warned you instead, but they have quotas too. I think it's like any other profession there are good and bad cops, good and bad mechanics, good and bad lawyers, etc.. IMHO Don't let the bad ones hold you down, wait I mean hold you up LOL (lowrider joke) anyone?

Last edited by 72GMCburban; 09-03-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #17
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

with see ten. Try and have some evidence on your side. Don't sell your truck due to a local jerk profiling you. Use your cell phone to record what the officer says during his stop. Raise your license plate and see what happens after that.

Wish you the best!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
xshadow

I would try to get some evidence. record the stop on your cell phone. Don't say much to the officer that pulled you over, you would just be asking for trouble. I would get the officer's information. Call his boss and let that person know that you have been recording everytime you'er pulled over and will be giving the information to your lawyer. Let them know that your documenting every time you're pulled over and that you will sue them if it continues.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
roughedup72

I wouldnt even call his boss due to the fact that he is going to be on the officers side,Just video all of it and get all of the issues fixed to there liking, which by the way you probably wont be able to do because they are going to find some lame excuse to stop you, like you swerved or the cop was tailing you and you farted causing him to smell it,then your'e polluting.But if you bring it to the cheifs attn you will be stopped every time you go out.I hope you have alot of patience and persaverience to get through this situation. good luck.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #20
Simonstrucker
Big Block Short Bed Stepside

Ok all this is just wrong on their part but it must be done. My suggestion is to go and get the state statutes from on line, the library, or the communities collage if they have a legal course. Get the book read it find the laws pertaining to your truck that might be a violation get them fixed. I would not record any officer that pulls you over as if he does not know or want you to can get you in even deeper as if he does not know that is a felony in any state. Video will be tuff too as you can’t record them with sound in some cases also a felony. I do agree that after you fix the truck to request the ticket. Look it up see if it is good and if not use to your advantage and contact the sargent to let him know what is up if that does not work go up the chain of command.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
bodydropped69

Thanks for all the replies and support. I am trying to find the statutes and see what exactly it says. And after I will contact the dept. about what happened. As far as confronting the cop when he pulled me over, as soon as I mentioned that the truck was aired up/raised when I was actually driving on the main roadway and not slammed like when he first saw me in the neighborhood street he told me I was arguing with him and making it worse for myself and that he could write me up for a bunch of other things. After that I just shut my mouth and let him tell me about how nice he is that he didn't give me any tickets. The city I live in (Gilbert) has no major gang problem at all so I dont know why he asked me all the things he did.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #22
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydropped69 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and support. As far as confronting the cop when he pulled me over, as soon as I mentioned that the truck was aired up/raised when I was actually driving on the main roadway and not slammed like when he first saw me in the neighborhood street he told me I was arguing with him and making it worse for myself and that he could write me up for a bunch of other things.
Your problem could also be envy. Years ago I had a nice 76 Capri (probably a few of you are not sure what that is. LOL) with the V6 built, turbo mufflers, cam headers, etc and later on a 260Z built also. 9 out of 10 times when I got pulled over it was because they wanted to check out the car. I was told they pulled me over because the car was too low. I even heard my fog lights were too close to the ground. They would open my hood look under the car.
Then they asked how could I afford it? They feel (some police) if they cant afford it on what they make how can you? Next time your pulled over, when he says your truck is too low tell them your making adjustments on your ride height. You know how these old projects are im working two jobs, etc etc.
Just talk to him like you know he has one at home or had one before.
Again its unfortunate that you need to do it that way but you being young they really hate to see a youngster with more than what they have.
Trust me being in Los Angeles and africian american I have had my share also.
You either learn how to avoid there crap or take it to the next level and report how many times your harassed. But you have to be willing to take it all the way to the top and find someone who will listen to you.
And DONT get rid of your truck.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
BCOWANWHEELS

appearence and first impressions carrie alot of weight. tatoos reflect your stated of mind and what you want to reflect. GOD tells us all to treat your body as a temple. when we all stray from that it has consiquenses that follows .everyone has the right to do as you please but the price you,ll pay for the wrong decisions are very costly and painful as a rule. i,d pray about the issue and let the LORD ADVIVE you as what to do . you cant be a friend to the world and a friend to GOD at the same time. one is temporay the other is for eternity . i,ve noticed in my life if i present myself clean cut and have a nice smile when i meet-greet somebody it sure seems to carry alot of weight as opposed to the other ways. just my opinion
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
Old 09-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
Shane
Account Suspended

be very careful recording conversations without the other party knowing it is being recorded ...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
Misled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
be very careful recording conversations without the other party knowing it is being recorded ...
You would need to research some local case law and laws, but GENERALLY, any person who is a party to a conversation, may record it. Also, generally, a person may videotape what they are legally viewing (a person walking on the sidewalk may videotape a pretty girl also walking on the sidewalk, but that same person cannot trespass onto that pretty girl's property to make a tape......)

bodydropped69, You should also ask the officer if he has an in-car camera and if he is recording the stop (could be used against you or for you). An officer who is doing his job correctly should have no problem with your recording, as long as that recording doesn't impede the performance of his/her duties.

Misled
Closed Thread