The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Roper

Wiw?

I just bought a 87 on Friday. Paid $5000. Its a two wheel drive in mint condition and has been stored inside all its life. I mean its truly MINT.Never seen a gravel road or a rainy day in its life. Has 80,000 miles. The owner claimed he justused it on sunny days to put some miles on it so the seals wouldnt start leaking.
The guy was the original owner. Its 350 fuel injected, 700R4,373 gears.
I have no use for it but it was way to good of a deal to pass up. Since Friday I have two buyers who got my number from the guy I bought it from calling me and wanting to buy it. So far ive been offered $6000 and they know what I paid for it. See I just showed up before them with the cash and got it before they had chance.
Anyway the truck is all original, well except for running boards and mud flaps. Paint is original and in perfect condition. I went all over it with a magnet and there is no body fill anywhere. Even under the truck everything(Paint) is perfect. There just isnt any rust or wear anywhere on this truck that I can find.
Anyway the truck was really taken care of and really well maintained.
2 wheel drive isnt much good around here. I really have no use for it except the wife could use it as a daily driver in the summer.
Im wondering what I should do with it?
#1 Drive it in the summer? All gravel roads.
#2 Sell it?
#3 Park it and forget about it?
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
crews
It just doesn't matter

Re: Wiw?

My 2 cents? If you "really don't have any use for it"... I would take the 6K and smile.

You never know when something else you may have more use for will pop up for sale....

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Thealien

An 87 what?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

i dont now really id say sell it cause if in that great of shape it should stay the same care and use so it last forever. i say do what crews says take the 6 grand and be done with it or you can start a bidding between the two see which one trully wants the truck. Flip a coin.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Roper

Well im kind of thinking before I would sell it for 6 I might as well let the wife drive it to work. Example she travels an hour and a half each day. She is starting to get some miles on her Jeep. If she keeps using the jeep everyday its going to be time to replace it in a few years and then thats going to cost a few bucks.
If she uses the truck in the summer the jeep is going to last quite a few more years so for $6000 I might as well keep the truck.
Another advantage is if something breaks on either ride she has a spare set of wheels in the driveway to use.
The way it is now when something goes on that jeep she needs it fixed right away so that means taking it to a garage. With her having the other vehicle this would give me time to shade tree fix the other vehicle in the driveway.
Im thinking for $6000 I might as well keep it and let her use it.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Roper

Still havnt driven or used this truck. Just parked it.
Was searching the classifieds this morning looking for other pre 87s and this was all I found.
1st one is an 87 thats not as nice as my truck for $11,000.

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...QAdIdZ23513228

Second one is a 72 SWB which is nice with a nice price as well.$25,000
http://grandeprairie.kijiji.ca/c-car...QAdIdZ19779756
Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Talking Re: Wiw?

Ok you cant post something like this and have no pic's so here it is............................

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Roper-Please keep in mind that you have to be a forum subscriber to offer a truck For Sale.

It "sounds" like you found a really nice truck. What you haven't done is show pics or give us details beyond it being a super clean 87 C-10, 350 fuel injected, 700R4, 373 gears.

If you need the truck as a spare and can afford to keep it, I think you should.

The value of clean 73-87's are sloooowly starting to climb so it is an investment that you can actually enjoy. The guy that's asking 11k for his truck is not a realistic asking price for a LWB 87.

You can't use a 67-72 truck as a comparison, as they are not the same generation of vehicle. Even though they have gone off the hook in value, they one you listed will never sell for 25k.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 10-05-2007 at 08:06 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
Roper

I have tried posting pics on here but the forum says the pics are to big. Im not very into computers and I have no idea how to make them smaller. Also im on dialup and it takes forever to do anything with pictures.
I know the 72 is a different truck and it has nothing to do with the value of my truck. I just posted it because I thoughtr it was a nice truck.
About the value of that 87 that I posted. I agree $11,000 sounds way high. However in the last 5 years in Alberta I have only seen or heard of two 87 or heck 73 to 87s that were clean, low mileage and for sale. The first one I bought and the second one I posted the link to.
So I guess what im saying is everybody for the most part on here seems to think a clean , low mileage 87 is only worth 3 or $4000. What im saying is I would like to know where I can buy them around here for that price. Also 4x4 3/4 ton or one tons go for way more around here than 2 wheel drive half tons.
Im not sure what im going to do with my 1/2 ton .Its not for sale. For now im going to park it. Been watching Powerblock TV and watching their S 10 build. Haha Gives me ideas! On the other hand it would be a nice truck to put a diesel in. Then sometimes I look at and think about converting it to 4wd. But I want to get my other truck finished before I do anything with this one so the plan is to just park it.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

Email me the pictures at ZieglerDigital(at)hotmail.com. Heck, if its a nice color combo, it might be cheaper for me to buy a truck like that and set it down on my 4x4 chassis than to get my bodywork done...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Roper

Well thats just it. Like I said on the other thread im looking at $8000 to get my one ton painted up. And the body on my one ton isnt in that bad of shape.Thats why I originally went to look at this half ton. I was thinking about putting it on my one ton. But then once I saw it I thought it was just to good of a truck to part out or to use as a body on my one ton.
Thanks Russ I will e mail you a pick.
PS There was a 78 1/2 ton stock but clean low mileage that was listed for $18,000 this summer in Calgary.
Also an 80s something crew cab in Calgary for around $5000 that didnt look to bad although im sure it was high milege and has been around. It also had a dana 44 front axle so im thinking the truck was rebuilt from many trucks, probable junkyard stuff.
In Edmonton their was a one ton 4x4 clean high mileage crew cab for sale for $15,000.
Sorry you have to take my word on these because I dont have links anymore to them. But like I said before whenever I see one of these old trucks for sale they dont sell cheap in Alberta.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

Looks like a very clean truck man. I'd personally take the running boards and mud flaps off, personally think they make it look older than it is.

I'd also look into painting a second color on to make it two tone. Make it look far fancier and make it an easier sell.

If I had any chance of affording it, I'd personally have a ton of interest in it, particularly with the body, interior, and the TBI engine + wiring.

Either way, I don't think I would daily drive it, particularly on gravel roads. I would either sell it right away, or park it inside for a couple more years and sell it later on when these trucks are worth even more.