The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Wonderin' what to do.....

I've owned my truck for seven years, now...or is it eight? Anyway, I've been saying I'm gonna get it painted, etc., for several years. Now, I'm down to cutting bait or going fishing. Money is ready. Truck is, too. Or is it? I don't want to throw good money after bad. Basically, it's solid. There is one place under the hood where the wiring tray sits, on the driver's side, that has a little bit of flakiness. It doesn't have rust-through, just a little bit of a flaky metal. If there is hidden damage, I don't want to embark on a wasted effort.

So, I've considered looking for a decent project that doesn't need paint or bodywork. It's for sure that there are trucks out there that are in better shape than mine for less money than I have in mine.

So, what do you consider your options to be when you're faced with fixing up what you have or getting something different that (hopefully) needs less than what you currently have?

If only I could find a nice A-Model but it has less interior room than my '69.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
chvtrkman

Re: Wonderin' what to do.....

Hmmmm, interesting question. One I've pondered many times. My truck isn't in the best condition,but........I've had it 10 yrs. I pretty much know what all needed to be done to it and have tackled enough of it to make it reliable as a daily driver.So, do I sell it and find something a little nicer? What if I find a decent truck that turns out to be not as good as I thought it was?
I guess a lot has to do with your budget, what you can/can't afford to invest.
Then there is the time factor. Do you have time to work on something to bring it up to your standards? If not, can you afford to pay a shop to do minor work, or major work, if needed?

There are so many variables, and each person's circumstances can be different. For me, because I don't have the cash, and I'm at my credit limit, and I already invested too much in my truck to try to re-coop some of what I've spent....I will be content to just fine tuning things to my satisfaction and keep my DD a few more years. Then if my financial condition improves I may decide to upgrade.
That's my $.02
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I've been down this road several times myself. I have a '71 Cheyenne SWB fleet and a '70 C/10 SWB fleet that I was going build one or the other. They both solid trucks, and both would take much to get mobile. After taking into consideration they both needed an engine, tranny and lots of little nickel and dime stuff, and of course paint and body work, I decided it was best for me to buy a decent running and driving that needed a lot less work. The truck in my avatar is the truck I decided to buy. It is not perfect, and it needs 2 small dents fixed and paint to be perfect, but it's mechanically perfect. If your truck runs and drives like you want it to, I'd just do the bodywork and paint it. Even if you buy one painted, you never really know what's under the paint if the body man did a good job of hiding it. If your truck has just the few rust issues you said it did, I realistically doubt one you buy will be any better than your's before it was restored, unless it a SW truck.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
70cstjr

my father and i 70cst are actually going through this right now, our truck has sat for 7 years and this fall/winter its actually going in to get an exteme makeover truck edition..its never to late...but if u cant find the time i would let someone else have her who would..i just hate to see em rot away
Old 10-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Good comments, all. After I posted this question, I went to eBay and was perusing the 67-72 C-10's. What I like.....I can't afford. What I think might be nice, may not be. I'm one of those people who has to see it before I buy it, and looking at pictures on-line ain't what I call "seeing" before I buy. I don't want to take away anything from anyone who may be using eBay to sell their truck, but I can put whatever date I want on whatever picture I take and post it. It may be a late date and be convincing to someone else when it really isn't what it is said to be. Call me untrusting, if you want.

But for my truck, which still has the original engine/transmission, and which runs very well (all things considered), although with some blow-by and some piston slap when cold. Starts every time. Stops every time. Drives like you want it to. Rides waaaaaaaay better than my '96 SWB GMC.

It needs paint (body is decent - no dents....only blister is on the lower part of the right door)....new floor pans, rockers and kick panels. New cab mounts. Needs a windshield. Needs holes fixed in cowl plenums (haven't seen them....but they have to be there). Bottom line is that it has come down to puttin' up or shuttin' up. Money is available with my dad's passing and leaving a little to six kids. I'm done helping our five kids, so it's gotta be my turn for something (Geeze, this sounds like one of my kids whining, doesn't it?). I should do it for Dad, right? I'm gonna have more money in it that I can get out of it and Dad had no connection with it. I didn't buy it new and don't know who did. I'm gonna be turning it over to a 24-yr old "kid" who is self-taught and very, very good with metals and his hands. I have seen his work and he WANTS to work on my truck....a plus, in my own mind.

Anyone who gets worked up over a vehicle has got to be (Barry McGuire, here) "Car Crazy".

Still crazy after all these years......

Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
70cst

ChevLoRay....
I think you are talking yourself into keeping and fixng your truck. I agree...Keep it. As 70cstjr says...we have had our truck in storage for about 7 years and I finally have decided to do the ole "Truck Makeover." I am not doing this for someone else...I am doing it for me...and 70cstjr. Otherwise I am not planning on selling the truck but will hand it over to my son someday. I will likely get moe money into it than I could sell it for but thats ok. I know what I have so I know what I am working with. Good luck and keep us updated.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

You are right about perfect trucks being too expensive. I would have loved to have bought a finished truck, but with a new baby at home, it wasn't in cards. I got a great deal on my '69, and at this point (before I do anything to it) I could put it on Ebay, and actually make money, but that's not why I bought it. I say if the guy you found is good and inspired to work on it, let him have at it.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

Don you already have the suspension done, wheels and tires on it and have a running driving truck. It's a 69. Most any model A you find will have more rust issues than yours unless it has all new metal on it. Parts for the 69 are more readily available than a model A. The truck is more practical for all around use. If the little flacky area on the cowl is the only bad area the truck has you don't have a problem.
Think how good it will look with new paint on it and it will surely be worth much more with a nice paint job than in all primer.
If you are just tired of owning it then selling it and finding something else may be the right move for you.
I would like to have a fleet side to go with my step but do not have the time or money to put into another one. Afterall I haven't driven this one in 10 yrs. Still torn down in my shop and it's still way off from being finished. I work on it occasionally. Finally got my engine built this year. Went junkyarding last week for parts. Don't really need any more parts but I like to go to see if there is anything that I don't have or is nicer than what I have. I picked up the chrome molding that goes around the back of the cab. Real good shape for $6. After 10 yrs I'm certainly not tired of mine. I see all these guys trucks on here and it keeps me anxious and motivated to stay after mine. I will drive it again one day.
Whatever you decide my friend.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Yeah, Boog....I know. I am just having last-minute jitters about doing the right thing. After looking at a '69 CST in black on eBay this afternoon (after the post was done), I knew that I had to go ahead and make the move. It's hell being a perfectionist and a procrastinator in one lump.

10 years? I know you've said it before, but I should feel good that mine is on the road, although not very often. When I'm done with it, I gotta drive it and sell the late-model. I ain't gettin' any younger.

Thanks for the support, folks.