The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Few questions

Ok, I have a few questions here

#1 How much can I notch the frame & still be strong enough to haul something around 3-4 thousand pounds ??? (I plan to plate the top / sides & box the inside, & use a piece of 4" 1/4" wall pipe) I just need to know how deep I can make it & still be safe

#2 At what point is it advantageous to flip over the trailing arm mounts ??? (I have a one piece drive shaft, so I don't have a carrier bearing to flip)

#3 What is the optimum angle for my shocks to run at (I am building new shock mounts)

#4 Last but not least, if you were building a long panhard bar to run from the frame to the passenger side trailing arm would you use rubber bushing syle ends or heim joints ???

Thanks, Matt

P.S. I do not want a step notch, just something I can build that is hopefully deeper than a bolt in notch

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 03-09-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: Few questions

ttt

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
SCOTI

Re: Few questions

Quote:
#1 How much can I notch the frame & still be strong enough to haul something around 3-4 thousand pounds ??? (I plan to plate the top / sides & box the inside, & use a piece of 4" 1/4" wall pipe) I just need to know how deep I can make it & still be safe
I wouldn't go more than 2/3 of the height of the frame (3" max).
Quote:
#2 At what point is it advantageous to flip over the trailing arm mounts ??? (I have a one piece drive shaft, so I don't have a carrier bearing to flip)
Necessary or advantageous? My 68 was dropped enough that the rear axle tube was inside the c-notch @ ride height. I never experienced drivetrain vibration or had u-joint related failure.
Quote:
#3 What is the optimum angle for my shocks to run at (I am building new shock mounts)
I fabricated new upper shock mounts @ just duplicated what the factory engineered as far as shock angles. I figure it worked for this long, it must be real close to optimum.
Quote:
#4 Last but not least, if you were building a long panhard bar to run from the frame to the passenger side trailing arm would you use rubber bushing syle ends or heim joints ???
Option 'C' . . ...... Urethane. The benefit of heims w/o the noise.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote