The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
xs-style

Mission dang near impossible

This was my truck for a while.

I had it about 2 years before the orriginal motor tossed a rod at 135k. Not to shabby. Also not a bad deal for the 2k I had in it considering that truck got used for just about everything. Over the last few months Ive been collecting parts to put the engine back together and bring it up to todays standards. The one cosmetic mod I wanted while the truck was being repaired was a stepsides bed. Ive just always liked their looks. Anyhow, stopped in at a parts yard last week and ended up having a whole new parts truck follow me home lol.

Looks like my 78 will be getting its rusty fenders and doors replaced along the way too. Somehow I have a feeling this project has just grown legs. Guess Ill be updating this as I go along. Seems like Ive got all the parts sitting around for a nice little build.

One question before I go. My 78 cab has all the normal rust in the cab corners and rockers. Surprisingly I found that the floorboards were in great shape. On the other hand, the parts truck cab has had the rockers and cab corners replaced, but the floorboard is scrap. It also had a few random rust spots that would need touched up. Which would be the easiest repair route for this?
xs-style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: Mission dang near impossible

the one with the solid floors would be easier to repair.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
xs-style

10-4 on that. Are there any places to download assembly manuals for these trucks? Im about to get down to nuts and bolts and I wanna be sure they all get back in the right places lol
Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

first off let me welcome you to the board.. i dont know about the download of manuals but you can use a haynes and or chilton manual and the shop manuals from the dealer and youll have everything covered,,, i agree with the other fellows about therepair to the truck with the best floors and we have several site vendors who sell the repair panels cheap ... lol you may wind up with two trucks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
seanconnery

Dude, I got my factory service manual from ebay for $8. The dang thing's like 2,000 pages and details everything. I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

RIP Jerry Reed "The Snowman"
seanconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
xs-style

Thanks for that Rusty & Sean. I picked up a haynes manual when I first got the truck. I try to do that for whatever I drive. Im just glad to know I can grab a service manual too. I end up going to the assembly manual for my c3 all the time lol