The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
jorgensensc

Guide me please. Sound deadener?

Okay so I have done a search, and am still confused. I even read the very good article that one man tested all the different types of sound deadeners, but that is now dated material. So here is my question. What are you using. I think I have narrowed it down to FAt Mat Rattle trap, and Fat Mat Mega Mat, or Second Skin Dampener. I still don't completely understand the Whole BUtyl thing vs mixed asphalt/Butyl thing. This will be going in the wifes burb with dual dynomax mufflers and a 402 BB. She needs to be able to drive it and conduct business (conference calls and such) and be able to actually hear on the phone. This will eventually be her daily driver so it needs to be similar creature comfort wise to a newer vehicle. I already have A.C. etc, so now we need to get the sounds under control. Right now the carpet isn't in yet and almost have all the door seals installed, but it is an echo chamber for the exhaust and almost gives you a headache when driving around. What are you guys using? How much would I need for a suburban. I figure the whole floor, the roof (under the headliner) the door panels as well as the cargo wall areas. I know this is semi an audio question, but not completely. So moderators if you must move this please feel free to do so, but I would prefer it in this section.
Thanks all!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Guide me please. Sound deadener?

i'm a bid fan of the sprayon or brush on ceramic stuff i've had great results wity lizzard skin i bought mine at speedway motors but now alot of places now sell it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
SactoJim

Me too......used Lizard Skin (sound deadoner) throughout mine. They make both a sound deadoner product and a ceramic product that helps with sound and keeps heat transfer to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'm a bid fan of the sprayon or brush on ceramic stuff i've had great results wity lizzard skin i bought mine at speedway motors but now alot of places now sell it
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
hotrodhomi

very happy with my second skin damplifier
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

http://central.sounddomain.com/sd/fe...sories_cat.htm has alot of good advise and pointers.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...?CategoryID=50 here is some sheet applications.

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

I just bought Dynamat and will be installing it in a week or two. I've heard it's the best. It's pretty dang expensive so it better do something!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
8mpg

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I would go with Raam Mat...my buddy used it and loves it. Another option is homemade lizard skin. Basically it is any home exterior latex paint (could use an acrylic), and microspheres you can buy from any aircraft place.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I would go with Raam Mat...my buddy used it and loves it. Another option is homemade lizard skin. Basically it is any home exterior latex paint (could use an acrylic), and microspheres you can buy from any aircraft place.

That is the the article I was referring to. Unfortunately it is outdated. Fat Mat isn't on his list, as are a few other newer ones. I'm especially confused about the butyl vs asphalt/butyl mix dilemma. The lizard skin sounds good, but could potentially be very messy. Is it really as good as laying down a preformed substance with definitive thickness? I don't know, that is why I ask. It seems like the lizard skin would be hard to get a uniform thickness, especially on the inside of the doors. Am I wrong?
SHawn

Last edited by jorgensensc; 11-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Painter D

I'm using Dynamat , so far I am pleased with it. It is a little pricey though.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
8mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
That is the the article I was referring to. Unfortunately it is outdated. Fat Mat isn't on his list, as are a few other newer ones. I'm especially confused about the butyl vs asphalt/butyl mix dilemma. The lizard skin sounds good, but could potentially be very messy. Is it really as good as laying down a preformed substance with definitive thickness? I don't know, that is why I ask. It seems like the lizard skin would be hard to get a uniform thickness, especially on the inside of the doors. Am I wrong?
SHawn

I forgot where I was reading but Fat Mat got some poor ratings on another board that I read. I believe it was a link off of HAMB. The homemade lizard skin was on hotrodders.

I personally will go with raam mat or this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

It had some really positive responses on a couple boards. The guy sells it at a lot of swap meets and people buy the hell out of it. It is WAY cheaper than raam mat or dynamat.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Texasduffer

Anybody tried the Smittymats yet?

He's plastered his stuff all over ebay as of late for about $2 per sf if I remember correctly. I'd be interested to know...
Texasduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
I forgot where I was reading but Fat Mat got some poor ratings on another board that I read. I believe it was a link off of HAMB. The homemade lizard skin was on hotrodders.

I personally will go with raam mat or this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

It had some really positive responses on a couple boards. The guy sells it at a lot of swap meets and people buy the hell out of it. It is WAY cheaper than raam mat or dynamat.
I was wondering about this stuff...there is a guy that sells the hell out of it at the Pomona swap meet too. I was going to pick some up last time I was there, but was hesitant because it was priced so low compared to Dynamat.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
acl

I also vote Raam mat. Installed it over a weekend with wifes help and went really well. (completing it with the wife speaks volumes for its ease of application) I have heard others and Raam mat to me is just as good at 1/2 the price. Bought it direct off the Raam mat website, shipped quick and had questions answered quickly and complete. Gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
big_al_71

I used something called "Cool It thermotec" my truck is very quiet inside and I was very surprised, I also used something called "Jute" which we use in our interior shop.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
jorgensensc

THanks for all of the responses so far guys. I really do appreciate it.
I have been reading up on Raam Mat and it looks to be pretty good stuff.
I also like the lizard skin idea, but It seems like it would be really messy. I could see it if the burb wasn't already painted, but it is and I would hate to get that stuff all over the place.
That stuff that guy is selling on ebay, is it mainly a heat insulator, or sound insulator? I'm looking for a good combo of both, with sound being priority since I can always lay some thermal protection over the top.
I am cautious of jute and open cell material due to the fact that the interiors always seem to leek in these trucks. I really don't want the moisture to be retained by the jute or open celled material. After awhile it starts to smell.
I think I have figured out that I need a true Butyl Material. Anyone else got any opinions?
Shawn

Old 11-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

I'm a cheap SOB, so I'm gonna try THIS

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
I'm a cheap SOB, so I'm gonna try THIS
THe only problem with that stuff is it is asphalt based. It will stink the truck up to high heaven for several months. And in the summer it will smell again. It becomes brittle in really cold weather and slides all over the place in really hot weather. I have been cautioned against it.
Shawn

Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
8mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
THanks for all of the responses so far guys. I really do appreciate it.
I have been reading up on Raam Mat and it looks to be pretty good stuff.
I also like the lizard skin idea, but It seems like it would be really messy. I could see it if the burb wasn't already painted, but it is and I would hate to get that stuff all over the place.
That stuff that guy is selling on ebay, is it mainly a heat insulator, or sound insulator? I'm looking for a good combo of both, with sound being priority since I can always lay some thermal protection over the top.
I am cautious of jute and open cell material due to the fact that the interiors always seem to leek in these trucks. I really don't want the moisture to be retained by the jute or open celled material. After awhile it starts to smell.
I think I have figured out that I need a true Butyl Material. Anyone else got any opinions?
Shawn
The ebay stuff is supposed to be a good combo of both sound and heat.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #19
shorty70

A buddy of mine did some testing with "homemade" heat and sound deadening stuff on his 63 chevy II. Here are his results:

Tested different types of insulation for heat reduction. Used an infrared themometer to measure temperature..

The following items were tested:
Metal (no insulation)
Home-Made Lizard Skin(HMLS)
Reflectix
Frost King (FK)
Peel & Seal (P&S)

Results:
Metal - 138 deg
P&S - 132 deg *
HMLS - 129 deg**
FK - 121 deg
FK, 2 layers - 113 deg
Reflectix - 112 deg
FK + HMLS - 108 deg
Reflectix + HMLS - 101 deg

*would not use this on roof, just wanted to see what it did
** only 3 coats, I probably should have done about 6, which I did on the trans tunnel.

There is a full write up and really good discussion on the HAMB (Tests start about page 5):

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51399

Last edited by shorty70; 11-05-2008 at 02:32 PM.
shorty70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #20
Kid

I used the Lizard skin all over the interior along with the Second Skin Audio (on floor board only) & am sold on both products. Getting the spray on Lizard skin onto the door skin inboard surfaces was impossible so I put the Second Skin Audio only in doors. Lizard Skin is messy so mask off everything (including shop floor) but is great as a heat blocker
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Remember, as Al 71 showed, the damperner products are mostly for sound damping, and are not that great for heat insulation, thus you may also want to use the jute or factory insulation for the heat side.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #22
70rs/ss

Get the best you can afford. The less asphalt, the less likeyly you are to smell it! Butyl 100% may be over kill, but no smell, so it may be worth it. My thoughts are that something is better than nothing, so fat mat will be OK, but I bought the Dyno mat for my Camaro as I plan to run a radical 383 in it and would like to hear myself think, but for the Blazer project, the fatmat will do.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
jorgensensc

I ended up going with the RAAMMAT. I spoke to the owner and he was very personable, and sounded honest. I found other message boards he was on and read real life reviews of his product. I even read where some had issues with a batch of his product and continued to read how he remedied the situation and with what type of customer service. Overall I was very impressed. It is the "cheapest", yet quality BUTYL deadener that I could find. I also ordered the closed cell foam to go over the top . I have only added the RAAMMAT to the back walls of the cargo area of the Suburban, but I have already noticed a very big difference. I liked the idea of Second Skin, and Anthony was very nice, (spoke to him more than once), but at the end of the day it was very expensive and I'm not building a competition sound system type vehicle. I also checked into the Butyl Fat Mat, but it was also very expensive, and they didn't offer any closed cell foam. I have some open cell heat insulation (Reflectix)that I'm going to install in the front of the burb area first, then the RAAMMAT, then the closed cell foam. THen of course the carpet. I hope all of this will keep the heat and noise down. We will see.
Shawn

Last edited by jorgensensc; 12-06-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #24
72zz4

I used fat mat in my 72 .i like it very much i used two layers over the floor, back of cab and one layer in the doors.
72zz4 is offline   Reply With Quote