The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
joekewl_chevyfreak

88-98 V6 Core Plugs?

One of my buddies just bought an 88 and my Step dad has a 95 both with 4.3's. My buddie got his truck for 300 bucks cause the owner thought the motor was blown, turned out to be core/freeze plugs. Thursday we drove out to my grannys for Christmas and as we brought gifts in, antifreeze pooled under his engine, with turned out to be a core plug. What is up with these engines >_< is this a common issue or is it just bad luck?

'87 Dodge D150, 318 auto stock; D.D.

God meant for rubber to be burnt, not for an ear of corn

Myspace
joekewl_chevyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Z16

Re: 88-98 V6 Core Plugs?

We rebuild a lot of these engines for the oil patch in our shop. Very rarely do we see an issue with the expansion plugs. We always put Loctite's Aviation Form-A-Gasket or high temp silicone on them. If the antifreeze hasn't been changed regularly, or the plug has been leaking for a long time the edge of the opening may be rotted away, and you may have to replace the block if its bad enuff. Try some block sealer like Irontite. It may fix the problem if its not too bad.
98 GMC Sierra Ex Cab, cowl hood, Euro LED lights, 30 bar billet, Whipple Supercharged 350 Vortec: Forged flattops, E-Tec aluminum heads, Comp Cam, Scat crank and rods, Granatelli Mass air flow, Headers, Flowmaster exhaust , Complete MSD Ignition, Custom Tuning, intake spacer , ported throttle body, AC Delco port injection upgrade, Roller Rockers, Power Pulleys. Gear Vendors Overdrive. Soon to hit a dyno. 2/4 drop(for now).

95 Chevy S-10 Ex Cab 4.3 5 Speed 2/3 drop, Euro lights, billet grill, More to come. The Daily Driver
Z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
joekewl_chevyfreak

Thanks, good news though, it turned out to only be the head. Guess i should have looked more thoroughly instead of headin in for ham!

'87 Dodge D150, 318 auto stock; D.D.

God meant for rubber to be burnt, not for an ear of corn

Myspace
joekewl_chevyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I was talking with a guy on Wednesday, who raced circle tracks with 4.3's. He said GM had a lower recall rate with the 4.3's that they did with any other engine. But, in racing them, he did a little engineering stuff, working on the exhaust system, heads and rods. He found out that the 229 heads and rods, with some re-sizing machine work, were the best combination for their usage.

So, has anyone else ever raced them?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote