The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
renagadebee34

engine smoke!

i finally got my engine to run and it starts up great but will not run off choke!! and it smoke really bad! some poeple have told me it might be that i have to change the jets in the carb! its a edelbrock 750 double pumper! any help? i just wanna drive it down the road once haha
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: engine smoke!

Renegade, what color is the smoke? Black is to much fuel, blue is oil and white is water. If you need to keep her choked it would suggest the carb is lean OR, you have a huge vacuum leak. Look everything over again. Did you replace the intake?Are all the vac lines attached? Specifically the brake booster or is the booster bad? Is the timing right? How is the float level? Eliminate potential problems 1 at a time befor you go and try to rejet the carb. Keep us posted, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

What color is the smoke? Black would be too rich on the carb. White would be water/coolent. Blueish would be oil...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

What model of Edelbrock and if it is a "Squarebody" carb, is it mounted on an intake with a spreadbore design? This could be your problem.

A 750 Edelbrock is a lot of carb for a standard 350 Small Block, if that is what you are working on.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
renagadebee34

thanks guys, yeah everyone has told me that it is to much carb for my 350 and it is blackish smoke and it makes ur eyes water in about 2 seconds! i have checked. ill go through and check all of my vacuum lined today after work
Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Damn ya that would be too rich if its just black smoke. Defiantly a big carb for a 350 SB. Probably going to have to mess around and get it adjusted in just right to get it to run good. I would eliminate all your vacuum lines too.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
renagadebee34

how do i elimate my vacuum lines? how do i adjust my carb? i know i sound stupid but im really not that bad haha
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
66truckin

Quote:
Originally Posted by renagadebee34 View Post
how do i elimate my vacuum lines? how do i adjust my carb? i know i sound stupid but im really not that bad haha
do you really have to run this carb? You are just way overcarb'd. Get a 600 cfm carb or better yet a stock quadrajet.
66truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I agree on "to BIG of a carb for a street driven truck. The air flow in that intake will be poor with that big unit, uhless you can keep the RPMs up above 2500. The smaller carb (600 or 650) will give a better air signal and air mix of the fuel. The higher velocity of the air will also give the truck a better low end torque indication and also keep the additives from plating out on the intake valves. Once you have a smaller carb installed, you may want to change jets or needles, as necessary, to get the performance set.

Adjusting the carb can be done different ways. The idle screw is set to maintain the engine in an idle condition (In Drive) at about 650 to 750 RPM---however, you can set it just a little higher if you want.

The vacuum is BEST set with the use of a vacuum gauge, but you can do it by ear and listen for idle changes as you move the screws in and out. Most carbs are usually set around 2 to 2 1/4 turns out on each screw. I use the vacuum gage method, myself. This is done by connecting a plain vacuum gauge to the intake manifold---Now with the idle set at about 700 RPM turn either one of the air mixture screws inward to the seat and watch the vacuum signal on the gauge. As you turn that screw out, you will notice the vacuum reading increase. Once you reach a point that turning the screw any further the reading does not change, then turn the screw back to the point where the increase stopped. Do the other screw the exact same way. Once you have adjusted the screws to get a setting NOW do them one more time to fine tune the setting of the screws. The final thing is to turn each of the air mix screws inward an 1/8th of a turn--you are done.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
Corts60
Just here to tinker

What most people don't realize is Q-jets came from the factory with 750 and 800 cfm ratings. The only reason square bore 750's and spread bore 750's run different on the primary circuit is because of the size of the bore (larger bore, larger jets). Yes a square bore 750 is too much carb for stock 350 but a spread bore 750 is factory. Q-jets have huge secondaries and that is where it makes up the rest of the cfm.

So in closing an edlebrock 600 is a lot smaller than your factory Q-jet, although it is pretty much maintenence free and not temperamental like the venerable Q-jet...

Just my .02.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Albatrossian
Georgia Boy

I'm running a 780cfm QJet with a stage 1 kit and that thing is like a lightswitch. Nice and crisp, doesn't run lean or rich and doesn't bog. I ought to take it off and have it bronzed for prosperity..
Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

You're right on Albatrossian: Q-jets aren't that bad, just misunderstood. Understand the circuits, get it running and it will hit.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
renagadebee34

man thanks for all your help guys? can i find any used ones or reconditioned that are cheaper than sale price?