The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
My72Cheyenne
"Work in Progress"

Question Windshield chrome trim removal

Ok, what's the trick for removing the chrome trim on the windshield on a 72? I'm going to pull the windshield in preperation for paint, and want to save the trim, of course. Any tricks that will hopefully save me from damaging the trim? I also have to remove the trim from the back window. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Bend, OR
My72Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

If you remove the windshield and the back window with the chrome still installed you can save the chrome. The seals have a groove in them, so removing the chrome before hand is difficult
because of the "fishook" shape of the part of the chrome that fits into the groove.

Once you get the windows out, you can carefully pull the seal off of the windshield/back window. Once the seals are off, you can work the chrome out of the seal by opening up the groove as you go. We spray simple green on as a lubricant which helps.

We never take the windshield out if the glass is good leaving that to the glass shop. The back window removal usually goes pretty easily with two people if you lube the seal and work it out. All glass shops don't understand the chrome so you may want to ask before having someone work on it. We are lucky because our local shop is excellent.

Some guys cut the seals to remove the windows and that works, but if the seals are good, we reuse them.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
My72Cheyenne
"Work in Progress"

Thanks Jim for the reply. I mayhave the glass shop do the windshield, as I don't really want to risk breaking it. The rear window will be replaced, so I can attempt that one. Anyway, thanks.
Tom
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

The rear windows are usually pretty easy. Soap the seal down on both sides and pull the lips away from the body because they will stick. Work you soap down into the area under the lips. I use a
dull screwdriver that has all the sharp edges removed and smoothed to help get the seal lip away from the body. Once you pull it out in an area, you can get your finger onto the lip and go around the whole window making sure the seal is not stuck.

Although you can probably pull it yourself, it is a lot easier with one person inside pushing and the other person on the outside pulling. I start in one of the upper corners and once you get the corner pushed/pulled through you can work your way around the top and sides. Then it is a matter of tipping the bottom out. Keep the seal lubed with soap and it should go easy.

I have never broken one, but the glass can pop if it breaks so you may want to wear some eye protection.

Good luck!

JIm
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote