The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
71/454
Turbo Guy

Anyone install a powertrax lock-right?

I don't have the knowledge or special tools to set up a ring gear so I thought I would try one of those lunchbox lockers as they call them that just replaces the spider gears. I installed it but if I put it into a burnout for a bit it will unlock the one side with a hard clunk after a few turns. Additionally if I sidestep the clutch at around 4000 it will spin both and then unlock one side the same as in a burnout. The guy at richmond said to replace the thrust washers, but they were fine on the install, and another guy at the local gear centre said I have too much power for that kind of locker.
Anyone else use one?

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Anyone install a powertrax lock-right?

I have a lock right in my 67 Camaro with a 10 bolt rear and I have no problems other than the annoying clicking in the turns and that back end shimmy/wobble I get when I take my foot off the gas. I have read this is normal. However, what you describe is highly unusual. Too much power for that locker is not the correct answer. It should be able to take the power and I have about 400 HP going to mine and its a 8.2 inch 10 bolt with stock axles. My Lock Right has made my rear end a lot stronger than it was before. However, it does not really hook up, so that could be the reason why the 10 bolt still lives. It could be that your tires are not exactly the same diameter, check the tire pressures. This will make the Lock Right act funny and possibly unlock. Also, if the old cross shaft is worn, that will cause the problems you describe. Check it for wear.

Last edited by mclairmo; 08-05-2009 at 07:00 PM.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

I have one as well with no problems. I'm running a ZZ383 and an auto. It burns both tires very nice!!

1968 Chevy SWB
ZZ383 W/700R4
Gen-II Compact Vintage Air System
PPG paint, Mandarin Copper and Vanilla Shake.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/fastom

Stupid should hurt and eventually become fatal!
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
kgt

I have one i installed in my 68 c-10...468 ci, world product heads...roller etc...so far so good...
kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Jurassic-1

If you want to install a factory type posi you can usually get them from 75.00-125.00 and if you install the carrier you usually do not have to install shims or a crush sleeve if you pull out you'r axles and just remove the carrier keeping any shims with the proper sides they came from and switch carriers and torque bearing caps reinstall axles and c-clips and the pin. Do not forget the posi additive and good to go. I have installed 3-4 used units and had good luck with them.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
71/454
Turbo Guy

Thanks for the replies guys. I just changed the thrust washers but its been raining for 3 days here so I have to wait for some dry ground to try it. I am happy to hear that the rest of you report no problems. I barely notice the clicking around turns so I will be very happy if the thrust washers fix it.

12 bolt diff
Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
If you want to install a factory type posi you can usually get them from 75.00-125.00 and if you install the carrier you usually do not have to install shims or a crush sleeve if you pull out you'r axles and just remove the carrier keeping any shims with the proper sides they came from and switch carriers and torque bearing caps reinstall axles and c-clips and the pin. Do not forget the posi additive and good to go. I have installed 3-4 used units and had good luck with them.
We just had this conversation in another post. It is not that easy. The chances of one carrier being machined to the exact specification as another are astronomical. That is why the shims are even there, to make up for manufacturing differences. It is a good place to start, but don't expect it to stay that way. Used gears have to be re-fit exactly where they were, this is not some "new gear" specification, you need to measure the backlash before you take the old carrier out. It does not matter what the actual number is, it has to go back to that number, even it that is "too loose".

BTW, a crush sleeve has nothing to do with a carrier swap at all. That is on the pinion, which you have no reason to touch in a carrier swap. Gettin into the pinion is a completely different story. That involves a lot more work, measuring and patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
If you want to install a factory type posi you can usually get them from 75.00-125.00...
Could you hook me up with one of these? I see them going for $200 or more on this forum and eBay as well as local c-list
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 08-24-2012 at 07:54 AM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
71/454
Turbo Guy

Ok I tried it again last night and same thing. I didn't try a burnout but I did dump the clutch and it burns both for a second and makes a clunk and spins just the right tire.
The cross shaft is new as are the thrust washers. I did make sure the tire pressure was the same.
When I took it apart to change the thrust washers the oil was a bit metallic and I could see some corners worn off the drivers and couplers. I gained about 4 thou by replacing the thrust washers, but it did not help. I'm waiting for a call back from Richmond to see if they are going to warranty it.

12 bolt diff
Old 08-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
mclairmo

Sounds like a defective unit. Have them replace it. Good luck.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
71/454
Turbo Guy

I talked to the tech support guy at Richmond. He gave me another measurement to take, so it comes apart again! There is the cup that goes on the driver to cover the c clip, he said to measure the distance between that and the cross shaft with the driver and cup installed and the cross pin in. It's supposed to be 8 thou or less. He said if it is more or extremely unequal from side to side this would cause unequal pressure on the lock right and cause it to always unlock.
They seem very adverse to saying it needs to be warrantied. I should have gone with an auburn!

12 bolt diff
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
53burb

any updates??
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
turp mcspray

I run lock-rites in my blazer. At the time I didn't know a lot about them. I ruined the rear once. If I had to do it over I would spend the money on Detriot for the rear. The front doesn't take nearly as much abuse so a "lesser" locker there is fine. Knowing how they work and how much play is in them so that they do work, I don't think I would ever use one with a stick that you plan on dumping the clutch on. They hit the corners of the drivers and couplers pretty hard before the teeth drop into each other. Once the corners are worn...It's done for. I'm thinking that this is what happened. What ever the warranty was, mine was like 3 weeks beyond. I called lock-rite to see if I could purchase 1 driver and coupler. They had me send it in and they sent me a complete new locker, even though it was out of warranty. So I have to say they treated me good! Good luck to you!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Ford Assassin

Digging up an old thread....

What ended up happening with your Lock-Rite?

Thx!!

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote