The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
imaguywithemail

SM465 to Saginaw 4 speed swap

So the shifter in my SM465 went out in my 1970 c10 stepside, so i decided to go with a saginaw 4 speed i had lying around. the swap's been going great so far, except for the driveshaft part. From what I've measured I need a 59" driveshaft from yoke to yoke. I'd like to do this without having to cut anything out. Good news is I'm good friends with the owners of the local junkyard so I can get stuff without a hassle. What cars or trucks have a driveshaft that would fit the bill? I really need to get this thing up and running soon. Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

imaguywithemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
imaguywithemail

Re: SM465 to Saginaw 4 speed swap

Thought I'd throw up a few more pics. I did a whole frame swap on the truck. Converted it from manual steering and brakes to power steering and power disc brakes, has a new 3.73 locking rear end, the springs are all lowered about 2 inches, and put the new transmission in.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
69GMCLonghorn

I realize it's a moot point since you are already doing the swap, but I would fixed the SM465. You don't gain any top gear with the Saginaw and the 465 will be even more bullet proof than the other one. Plus, the granny gear is just fun to horse around with.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
57larry

take a tape measure with you to the junk yard. I've good luck using S-10's driveshafts
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
imaguywithemail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57larry View Post
take a tape measure with you to the junk yard. I've good luck using S-10's driveshafts
Well I got it figured out. The guy who works at the junkyard has his own '72 swb fleetside and just installed a saginaw 3 speed so I just had him order the same driveshaft he got. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
redneck6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguywithemail View Post
Well I got it figured out. The guy who works at the junkyard has his own '72 swb fleetside and just installed a saginaw 3 speed so I just had him order the same driveshaft he got. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

any news on this swap how did it turn out what did ya use for a shifter for the 441 sag ? i am making the same swap , ps sorry for dragging up a old tread got to love google searches .
redneck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
imaguywithemail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck6 View Post
any news on this swap how did it turn out what did ya use for a shifter for the 441 sag ? i am making the same swap , ps sorry for dragging up a old tread got to love google searches .
Well the driveshaft was the wrong length and they didn't have any other ones, actually. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm going to either have one made if I can't find one lying around soon or go with a 8" th350 slip yoke. It's a really easy conversion to make, the saggy will bolt right up to your sm465 bellhousing, which is nice. I just went to kragen/o'reilleys and ordered a universal saginaw shifter for our truck. It was like $110 and came in like 2 days, bolted up easily. One thing I'm also having to figure out is the speedo cable. The shifter linkage runs right in front of where the cable is supposed to hook up, so i think i'm going to have to modify the linkage. If you have a shortbed c10 w/ sbc you'll need a 56" driveshaft also, which is the pain in the ass part to be honest. Well good luck to ya hope this info helps. It's easy to convert over if you can find the parts. oh and you'll have to cut a new hole in your floor for the shifter as well, which i haven't done yet but it's simple enough. Let me know how yours works out.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

not even that so much you can buy conversion u joints from like 1310-1330 or 1350 and such. A short tail th350 is the same length as the saginaw 4 speed if that helps in case somebody might have one that's a th350 short 6 inch tail and not the 9 inch one.

I forget what ours is but we had a 76 c10 2wd short bed with a saginaw 3 speed and it was a 1 piece and worked with a saginaw 4 speed ot th350 short tail and we just bought one to fit old mans 84 c10 with a short tail th350 from the junkyard.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
redneck6

my issues on the swap so far are , one i put a 454 in a 64 c10 swb , a sag 441 , the drive shaft i used was from a 78 c10 swb i had it shortend a 1 1/2 ''
the shifter i got is a hurst and i had to make my own linkege , also were the bell crank or z bar goes for the clutch linkage will not bolt up as headers are in the way they are for a chevelle or camaro or some **** so i got to go hydro clutch or swap headers around . o ya motor mounts are out of the same 78 swb too . ugggh the shifter and clutch are giving me fits . other then that i am sure it will run good for a while .
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Let me know if you decide to go with a hydraulic clutch, I can set you up with what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck6 View Post
my issues on the swap so far are , one i put a 454 in a 64 c10 swb , a sag 441 , the drive shaft i used was from a 78 c10 swb i had it shortend a 1 1/2 ''
the shifter i got is a hurst and i had to make my own linkege , also were the bell crank or z bar goes for the clutch linkage will not bolt up as headers are in the way they are for a chevelle or camaro or some **** so i got to go hydro clutch or swap headers around . o ya motor mounts are out of the same 78 swb too . ugggh the shifter and clutch are giving me fits . other then that i am sure it will run good for a while .
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
redneck6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Let me know if you decide to go with a hydraulic clutch, I can set you up with what you need.

ya pm me a price and what all is needed if ya can , i pice part here and part tere and didnt like to bill so for now as i like toutring my self i am going th400 and finish collecting parts for the 441 swap at a later date . while i am here does any one know what the yoke is on the sm465 that was in ther ie ujoint size , and what the yoke is on a th400 out of a truck ie ujoint size hoping to reuse stock drive shaft all thought i am sure it will need shortened .