The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Radiator Question

I have a quick question. I recently purchased the electric fans and fan shroud from GMC Pauls. My radiator has two vertical metal straps that go around the radiator. These straps are in the way of the installing the shround. Are the straps there for structure support of the radiator? and will removing them have any effect on the structure of the radiator?

I was going to attach pictures, but can not, once I find out why I will post a picture.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Rack Man

Re: Radiator Question

We talked about this awhile ago and it was kind of a split decision.....Some guys have indeed removed them with no problem....

I actually called the place I bought mine and they said that they should remain on there as they are on there to keep the radiator from expanding/contracting...the guy told me that I would void the warranty if I removed them.....who knows??

RM

Last edited by Rack Man; 10-15-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
We talked about this awhile ago and it was kind of a split decision.....Some guys have indeed removed them with no problem....

I actually called the place I bought mine and they said that they should remain on there as they are on there to keep the radiator from contracting...the guy told me that I would void the warranty if I removed them.....who knows??

RM
I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the info. Well since I spent all that $$ on the shroud and fans, I guess I will be cutting the straps and taking my chances. I think I bought my rad a few years ago and an sure the warranty expired.

I found out why I can post pictures, but what and where are the "sticky" found?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

we have an in house radiator shot where I work, and I have been working out of that shop more than the truck shop the last few years.
When I asked about these bands, they are installed when the core is being built. They help hold it all together at that time. Once the top and bottom rails and the two tanks are installed on the core, the straps are no longer needed, and the better companies remove them, the low end companies leave them there instead of paying the labor to cut them off.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote