The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
AirSpeed

My heater sucks!

I recently bought a 72 GMC 4X4 and I cant get any heat out of the heater. the fan blows fine, the defrost/heat lever works fine, the temp lever works fine, water is flowing through the heater core, everything seems to be in order except I get lukewarm air only. My 69 puts out so much heat I have to roll down the windows, I cant figure out why I am getting no heat out of my 72. I have read other threads concerning heater problems and none of them seem to be the answer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
knsmodels
I make Models

Re: My heater sucks!

my 72 blows hot once it is warm the only time it doesnt is if the coolant level gets low....

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

Hmm that is funky, coolant level? Do a radiator flush? Because my heater blows hot enough to cook weenies on it
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I just replace my core and blower motor today. It was packed with leaves and dirt. once I cleaned out all the junk the blower was actually ok. Make sure the doors are working when you move the levers. Also make sure that the hoses are not clogged and restricting water flow.

As a note if you replace the core don't use a core from mexico. Its a PIA to get the brackets to go under the pipes. Advance Auto Parts sells the Mexico cores under the Ready-Aire brand.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
stevewhitmore

Second that on the heater core brackets, but I got my heater core from LMC and had the same problem with the brackets, had to force them into place and praying that I didn't damage the core pipes.
stevewhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Sounds like you might have a thermostat that is either frozen open or missing. You might check that.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
extd56

It sounds like the thermostat is missing, check to make sure that both of the heater hoses are hot once the motor warms up.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
gcsupraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I recently bought a 72 GMC 4X4 and I cant get any heat out of the heater. the fan blows fine, the defrost/heat lever works fine, the temp lever works fine, water is flowing through the heater core, everything seems to be in order except I get lukewarm air only. My 69 puts out so much heat I have to roll down the windows, I cant figure out why I am getting no heat out of my 72. I have read other threads concerning heater problems and none of them seem to be the answer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Where is your temp gauge at? Is it reading somewhere in the middle?

I installed a 180 degree thermostat and that killed the hot air - now it's just warm. Just curious if your truck is not warming up (themostat issue) or your truck is showing fully warm and there is another issue.

-Greg
gcsupraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Every thing mentioned above should get you going.

If you take your core off you can have it tested at a local radiator shop.
Mine is original and the radiator shop said as nice as it was my truck must be real nice.
I had spent lots of time getting little seeds out of the fins on the core. Just use compressed air and taped it until I thought i had it be best I could do.
I powder coated the hangers just so they would never rust.

Also get some foam to put around the heater core outlets to keep dirt & cold air from getting in. I see allot of people leave them off. A new firewall gasket from Classic Heartbeat will Finish the job. Be sure you use new butyl tape between the core and the box, just like factory!
If you really want it to look nice a bit of Gibbs oil will make the dry fiberglass

look new. And no, it does not collect dirt.
s/t
Attached Images

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 12-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I guess with out a before picture it hard to tell what the improvement was.
So here it is.
Attached Images

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote