The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
jay741

85 chevy wont start

hi guys ive come upon this site a little while ago (great site) but never posted before. i have a problem with my 85 chevy truck not starting. at first we thought it was a frozen fuel line but after putting some stuff in the gas cant remember name and today was above freezing i tried to start itup but nothing i could smell the gas under the hood so its getting to the carbreter and the engine turns over but no spark is getting to the plugs i took one off. the truck is an 85 2 wheel drive with a 305 4 barrel carb th-350 tranny and a 10 bolt rear end it was made in july of 85 if that helps any. any help would be appricated thanks
jay741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
wheels67

Re: 85 chevy wont start

For fuel unplug the line that goes into the carb and put the line into a cup. Unplug the main plug coil wire and have someone crank the motor breifly while you see if fuel comes out. If it does then make sure the filter in the carb inlet is clean.

As for spark...coil may be bad. or check for 12volt signal on dist and coil. Pull cap and see if cap terminals are clean and no cracks in cap.
wheels67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
raws67

If you have a timing light hook it up and have someone crank it while you pull the trigger if it flashes you are getting power to the plugs. If you are getting power then pull your plugs and make sure they are not all gummed up with crap and then pour about a half cup of gas down the throat of the carb and try and start it. If it starts then you know its from the carb back. Also when an HEI module goes it usually keeps it from starting.

Last edited by raws67; 02-22-2010 at 10:59 PM.
raws67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Welcome to the site. Replace the ignition module. The ignition module is a common failure for our HEI distributor trucks.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
po_bird

Find you a old spark plug. Take the no.1 wire off the no.1 spark plug. Put a old plug that works in the wire you just took off. Have some one turn the key while you put the plug on a good ground spot that your wire can reach. Make sure you dont touch the body of the truck when you do this. You should see a little bright blue spark. Oh, hold the wire and plug with pliers. Not a great way to see if your plug wires leak.
75 EL CAMINO SS
po_bird is offline   Reply With Quote