The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
corymcrae

engine wont fire

so after i put my new headers on i started my pickup up just fine and let it ran. when i got back to it a few days later it wouldn't start. i discovered my distributor had gotten loose somehow and moved itself all the way to the right, after timing it by just cranking the engine it still wouldn't fire. i traced the plug wires back and everything is where it would be. it pops when i crank it but nothing promising and only on the passenger side of the engine like it wants to start and a couple times it did start but only for around 10 seconds. so i take the plugs out and find a few that were saturated with gas. on the drivers side nothing happens but the plugs get wet. its getting fuel so what could be the problem? do i need a new ballast resistor or coil or possibly a new distributor?
corymcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: engine wont fire

If it were me I'd start over. Pull the distributor, crank the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke, reinstall the distributor with the rotor pointing to number 1 cylinder, etc., and then work on setting the timing. Also check that the distributor cap and rotor aren't damaged, and make sure the wire(s) coming from the distributor didn't get torn or damaged during the errant rotation.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
corymcrae

is there a way i could test the distributor while its on the engine, like if i put a spark plug tester on the wire running from the distributor to the coil?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Russ65C10

Do you have a timing light? Get some one to crank it while you use the timing light to see how far off you are....
Russ65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
11echo

Before you start ripping everything out you need the check the two basics …gas & electrical!
Look down the carb and pump it, you "should" see gas squirting down into the throat. Next up pull one of the spark plug wires, hold the end about 1/2" from the end of the spark plug ...have someone crank the starter (with the key ON "if" you do it remotely). There "should" be a good spark that jumps from the wire to the plug. "IF" you’re missing any one (or both) start looking in those directions.
...FYI my first guess would be gas. Good Luck!
11echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
corymcrae

i unhooked my wires to the ballast resistor and hooked them directly and it fired but it is really rough and there is a few loud pops every once in a while and it wont stay at idle. if i put an ohm meter on the coil how many ohms should i read?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
motiveauto

make sure you have the plug wires in the correct order 18436572. Ive got it tattoo'd on my wrist so Ill never make that mistake again.
Softail Deluxe
Softail Chopper
motiveauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
McC_65_91

hey motiveauto, where on LI are you from?
McC_65_91 is offline   Reply With Quote