The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
ricks71pu

ok, dumb question

i have replaced my distributor to an HEI. the smaller (yello)wire is no longer needed, right? Can i use this wire to power my electric choke?
ricks71pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: ok, dumb question

no you cant because it only was powered for a brief moment when starting

you do know about running a new power wire also as the original doent provide 12v
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

I am going to attempt to not hijack and stay on topic, what does the yellow wire off the distributor do? My 454 is HEI and when I got it, there was a problem starting unless the yellow wire was connected when I rewire trying to figure out what it does.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
cdowns

with points ignition the main feed wire is a resistor wire and only provides 8-9volts to the system when running// the yellow wire is a jumper that provides 12v when the starter is engaged to give extra pop for starting

if you are still using the original feed wire to an hei it's running on the reduced voltage and will burn up the hei as well as mystery symptoms in the ignition circuit
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Quackaddict
"Hooked on Quack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if you are still using the original feed wire to an hei it's running on the reduced voltage and will burn up the hei as well as mystery symptoms in the ignition circuit
I just bought this truck a month ago and am rebuilding it one of the things I noticed is when ever the battery was connected that there was constant power, meaning I could not turn the truck off, my solution was to unhook the yellow wire and it would kill it. Now I never drove the truck heck I only ran it for short periods of time, the PO mentioned on the phone he had done somthing with the wires to get it to run. It must have had something to do with that.

I have purchased an entirely new Wiring harness for the whole truck from EZ-Wire.

My question would be when I rewire my system what is the correct way to wire the HEI.

I appologize to the OP but clowns seems to have the answer hopefully this will help you out as well.
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackaddict View Post
I just bought this truck a month ago and am rebuilding it one of the things I noticed is when ever the battery was connected that there was constant power, meaning I could not turn the truck off, my solution was to unhook the yellow wire and it would kill it. Now I never drove the truck heck I only ran it for short periods of time, the PO mentioned on the phone he had done somthing with the wires to get it to run. It must have had something to do with that.

I have purchased an entirely new Wiring harness for the whole truck from EZ-Wire.

My question would be when I rewire my system what is the correct way to wire the HEI.

I appologize to the OP but clowns seems to have the answer hopefully this will help you out as well.
You want to run at least a 10Ga wire from the "Unfused Ignition" blade/slot on your fuse box to the "Bat/Battery" blade/slot on your HEI. This way the dizzy only receives power when the key is on.

Make sure to hook to the right blade on the dizzy, they should be labeled. The other slot is for your tach, if you are running one.

Hope this helps.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"

Last edited by Leviticus; 05-10-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote