The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
miket

Shift indicator backlight bulb change?

Can someone tell me how to change the bulb for the backlight on an auto trans stadnard steering column? It is the fiber optic piece that glows behind the lettered acrylic indicator with P-R-N-D-L2-L1.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Jason71k10
ready for reassembly

yup, it uses a fiber-optic cable. I think it plugs in near the bottom of the steering column, but I can't remember right now??? The guy who owned the truck before me cut the cable, because he didn't know that's what it was. I was s*&t outta luck, cuz you can't exactly splice a fibre-optic cable back togther So now at night, I just squint really hard and then I can see!haha:p

Jason71k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Jason71k10
ready for reassembly

oops, sorry about that miket.....I thought you said "is it"....not "it is"........guess I need to learn how to read better!! haha:p :p :p
Jason71k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
GMC Jim

I substituted the fiber optic cable. Used a small lamp called a grain of wheat and wired to 12 volt source that is "on" when the lights are on... Model railroad hobby shops have these lamps and I beleive Radio Shack also....( about 50 cents each as I recall!). If you have problems locating a source for these lamps; there are mail order outlets..........
Old 02-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
jhow66

I used a bulb out of a plastic toggle switch and soldered it to some flexble wire and tied it into the dash lights. It fits in the groove just right. I also repainted the lens after cleaning with Krylon Flo. orange. Works great.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:27 PM   #6
miket

Actually, I found several answers to my question. The fiber optic cable can't do anything without a light source (I.E. bulb). After looking at longhorn's picture of this item for sale on the parts board I realized the optic cable is connected to a bulb socket on the back of the instrument panel.

After looking I found it and noticed the bulb had blackened severly. I drove to the store without the bulb in the socket and realized my left turn signal was out....didn't make much sense when you figure the fiber optic cable should be on when your instrument lights are on....

Long story short, the optic cable connects to a bulb socket (white on mine) which is installed in the instrument cluster. Someone mistakenly put this bulb socket in the turn signal circuit...I put a new bulb in, place it in the speedo light circuit and it works!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:31 PM   #7
miket

JHOW66,

Thanks for the reply. By the way, I just noticed that you list your 71 as having a 502 HO. I have a 71 Cheyenne myself and am upgrading to the ZZ502 and 700R4.

What 502 did you use? Was it a crate motor? What all did you have to do to get everything to work? What kind of tranny and rear end did you use?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
jhow66

Miket,
My engine is a 502HO (450Hp-550ft.Ib. TQ). Purchased mine from Pace Parts in Niles, Ohio. My engine was a drop in as it was a factory 402 with turbo 400-factory rear gear (3.07) with added Eaton Posi.-had to because it just blew away the one tire--he he. The only gripe is the oil usage--1 qt. every 350-400 miles--does not smoke anytime,no leaks , plus look perfect. Has done this since day one. ( about 5500 miles now. I used Hedman headers with 2" tubes into 3" collector. (part #69130)(had them coated after I got them). They fit like glove. Feel free to ask more ?'s if you like.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #9
miket

Thanks JHOW66,

I am breaking mine up into phases at this point. The first Phase is replacing the Turbo 350 with a 700R4. I found a reputable shop locally who has quite a bit of experience doing this and will build my tranny to withstand the ZZ502.

I believe the ZZ will require an electric fuel pump...did yours? Thanks for the info on the headers...I will have have all new exhaust done as well.

Second Phase will be getting the motor and installing it.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
Old 02-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #10
jhow66

All GenVI BB Gm engines (502's) do not have fuel pump boss. I added an electric pump (Malloy -street pump) below tank on frame rail. Good luck on your project.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:18 AM   #11
casey

I hope I didn't do something stupid to that fiber optic cable on the back of my instrument panel when I re&re'd the cluster, didn't know what that cable was, have to check at first light, you sure learn alot here. jhow66 did they say your oil consuption was normal for that 502, seems exccesive, doesn't it.

Last edited by casey; 02-18-2003 at 11:00 AM.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:12 PM   #12
jhow66

Hey Casey that should have read--"plugs" look perfect-can't type
with one finger. Pace kept telling me that it is normal for this engine to use oil as they are assembled with low tension oil rings because it is a marine engine. Go figure. I am retired so it is no big deal for me to add oil as it does not get driven everyday. Still it ticks me to think that I paid this much for a motor and it do this. I bought it 2 years ago and they may have fixed it by now. Didn't know you was going to have to read a book to get a answer did you. lol
Old 02-18-2003, 01:35 PM   #13
miket

Guys,

For what it's worth...I have a 2001 'Burb with the 8.1 Litre 496. It continually drinks a quart every 1000 miles. As well there is a noise (Piston slap) that occurs during start up. After doing quite abit of investigating it seems most of GM's newer motors are having variations of these problems. They may or may not be mechnically related but it does make me a little uncomfortable.

There are several posts all of over the place about this and you can find them just by searching.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
Old 02-19-2003, 01:16 AM   #14
casey

Yeh whats up with that piston slap, I'd like to slap someone down there at GM, This was never a issue, I know at least a half dozen guys that had to get motors rebuild in their mid to late 90's trucks, I would be so pissed, if I payed that kind of money and that happened to me, no wonder a guy I know wanted to trade me straight up his 97 4x4 for my 71 chev4x4.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote