The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
westie 666

Gauge restore

Hi all
I have spent the last few days restoring my dash cluster, I am down to painting the pointer needles in the gauges.

Can anyone tell me what paint to use? so far I have had no luck in finding any thing close to it.

Thanks in advance

Bob
Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
RuralRoute C-30

Re: Gauge restore

I recall just picking up a small can of GM red spray paint at NAPA. There are a few versions of 'red' but take your pick.

I did learn by doing that those needles are fragile when my first thought was to remove the needles to paint...I was wrong.

Was lucky to have a spare set of gauges to replace the one needle I broke when trying to remove it and left the rest alone. Took some advice from here to just slice paper and slide behind the needles to mask the gauge face when painting the needles.

Just another lesson in learning to watch paint dry between coats! Hope it helps.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
I recall just picking up a small can of GM red spray paint at NAPA. There are a few versions of 'red' but take your pick.

I did learn by doing that those needles are fragile when my first thought was to remove the needles to paint...I was wrong.

Was lucky to have a spare set of gauges to replace the one needle I broke when trying to remove it and left the rest alone. Took some advice from here to just slice paper and slide behind the needles to mask the gauge face when painting the needles.

Just another lesson in learning to watch paint dry between coats! Hope it helps.

Mark
You know... all my gauges decided to stop working.. i have an 84... same cluster set-up as you.... the Speedo squeeks and wobbles like heck... need to change that for sure.... but the fuel gauge only reads to quarter tank when full.... does the printed circuit board behind the cluster have anything to do with them not working? dont know if i should go head and get all new gauges, or start with the circuit board first... thanks in advance

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The speedometer runs off a cable alone, the gas gauge does rely on the printed circuit, but faulty gas indicator is usually a different issue. If all other gauges are working, I'd trouble shoot it a bit further first. Chances are the trouble is inside the fuel tank, at least in my experience.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude76 View Post
You know... all my gauges decided to stop working.. i have an 84... same cluster set-up as you.... the Speedo squeeks and wobbles like heck... need to change that for sure.... but the fuel gauge only reads to quarter tank when full.... does the printed circuit board behind the cluster have anything to do with them not working? dont know if i should go head and get all new gauges, or start with the circuit board first... thanks in advance
Not an expert on this but I have been there and done it. Might start at the source and inspect the grounds first and then the circuit board behind the gauges. (actually to say it is a 'board' is inaccurate when it essentially is a film of plastic)...but if you get that far you'll see this:

or in my case before I fixed it...this:

Bought this truck that once must have been a mouse house at some time in its lifetime. Always learning!

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
Not an expert on this but I have been there and done it. Might start at the source and inspect the grounds first and then the circuit board behind the gauges. (actually to say it is a 'board' is inaccurate when it essentially is a film of plastic)...but if you get that far you'll see this:

or in my case before I fixed it...this:

Bought this truck that once must have been a mouse house at some time in its lifetime. Always learning!

Mark
Right on! Thanks.. I see those circuit dealios in my ClassicParts, and LMC Catalogs.. might just go head and pick one up... how do you remove and replace those? Do they just peel off?

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The lamp sockets and such hold them in place.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I used an orange paint pen sort of thing from a craft store. There were lots of colors...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I always used Testors orange, for model cars, you know those little bottles? As long as they are all the same color, it looks perfect.

I need to dig in and see if a white panel is better, or the chrome/silver is better. I'm seeing both on here, surely one is better than the other. I'd really think white would get a brighter cleaner light reflected.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
westie 666

Thanks guys, I ended up using Tamiya flourescent red, comes in a spray can but I brushed it on, had to give them 6 coats but it has covered well. I also painted the rear reflector area with high gloss white, it has turned out very good and i can now see the gauges at night, I did replace all the sockets and bulbs even though all were working, at 2$ each it is cheap enough.