The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
qksilver

hydro clutch swap questions

I am converting a 78 1/2 burb I just bought to a 3/4 ton. I was given a freshly wrecked 87 3/4 pick up. I checked things out and pretty much everything will be easy to swap.

My question is I want to replace the turbo 350 with the granny gear 4 speed from the 87. The actual parts swap except for the clutch master cylinder and manual pedal set up.

Will the manual pedal set up from the 87 bolt in place of the 78 auto?

How to mount the clutch master cylinder to the firewall? From what I can tell with out unbolting things is that the firewalls are different.

Anybody done this? any tips or advice?

Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
D13

Re: hydro clutch swap questions

TTT

I do know the later firewalls have dimples for the clutch cylinder.

I too would like to know if the pedals interchange on the mounting bracket.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
78customdeluxe

This is going back 5 or 6 years since ive done this, but its fairly easy, even easier since you have the hydro truck cab with you. I dont know if the pedals will switch into the saddle, but I switched the whole assembly out. The holes are a little different size since the 78 was standard and the 80's were metric iirc, but i had to drill some either way. That saddle will have bolts going both ways through the firewall if you go that route and at least most of the bolts will also go though your brake booster mounting bolts. Just take measurements on where the master is bolted in relationship to the mounting bolts to the brake booster and you should be right there. If your going through all the work of changing this over, I would HIGHLY reccomend getting a new master and slave cylinder unless yours are in about mint shape. The last thing I would want is to get everything switched and bled only to have one go out a week later. By the way when you bleed it I dont do it with the whole thing in the truck, I put the master in the vice and pump it by hand because there are so many places for air to get trapped in the system. You'll know you have it when you cant move the rod on the master anymore, and trust me, you can get it in there all together, its the only way i'll bleed a hydraulic clutch on an older chevy.
1970 CST10(parting out and partial donor for the '70 C30)
2000 GMC 1500 ext cab sb, z71, 5.3 loaded auto
78customdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
bikes&bowties

I dont know if i am reading it all correctly but yes the clutch/brake pedal and hanger will bolt into where the brake pedal and hanger are right now
bikes&bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
scruffre

I used a 87 set up in my 78 Blazer when I went from auto to standard. just had to pop the three holes in the firewall for the clutch cylinder
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
qksilver

Cool,
Thanks guys,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote