The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
justinburnett

Need electrical problem ideas

First of all, and the most important, I have a draw on the battery when the truck is off. I put in a switch on the battery to disconnect it when i'm not running but it's a pain and when I forget to disconnect it, I need a jump.

I was outside and connected it up and I heard a faint click. Started touching it on and off and there is a definite clicking sound somewhere about mid-lower firewall it sounds like, but I can't see anything there, so maybe on the inside of the cab? The fan and other stuff turns off with the key, but there is SOMETHING drawing power. Any ideas where to search are appreciated.

Next problem: If I have my left tank selected, and I turn off the ignition, the truck keeps running. Once again, the fan turns off with the ign, but the truck won't turn off. If I have it switched to the right tank, the truck turns off fine. In either position i still draw on the battery.

Next problem: I have no fuel gauges. Both read way over full all the time.

I'm not sure if my AMP, OIL, or TEMP gauges are accurate, but at least the oil and temp move and stay in acceptable ranges while driving so I'm hoping they're fine.

Radio does not work.

All lights work fine.

Any ideas to any of these problems, but especially the draw on the battery in the "off" position, because that causes me the most trouble.

Thank you guys. You've helped me successfully with a couple problems so far so I'm sure one of you knows!
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Need electrical problem ideas

Electrical >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=64
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
wheels67

year of vehicle? Electric pump or mechanical? If dual tanks then switch on dash may have a bare spot wire or loose.....whatever it is is meant to run constant which eliminates alot of things. Check tank switch wiring.
wheels67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
justinburnett

1973. I assumed only manual pump, but I'm not sure. I'll look again in the morning.
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote