The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
kev63rod

alt wiring ?

have a few ?s on my altenator wiring on the 64 chevy. not sure what motor is in it but its a v8. i enjoy doing wiring but admit i know nothing about how to wire up the old voltage regulator type. the alt is an old style with a 2 wire plug plus the stud on the back. there is no plug for the alt, the po shoved female spades on the terminals. it is labled on the alt as 1 and 2. the 1 has an R under it. the stud says BAT. the voltage reg has also been replaced and had 3 terminals and a ground. they are labled as BAT, ARM, and FLD. according to my 64 book, the original reg had 4 terminals but does not specify what is what. so on mine 1 ran to ARM which has a small red (18ga?) wire coming off and goes into the firewall plug on the drivers side. did not chase it any farther, 2 ran to FLD, and the stud ran to the ground on the reg. this did not seem right so i undid it all when i started it. the BAT terminal had 3 wires on it. one from the battery, one to the fuse box, and the other goes to the horn relay which also seems to been replaced. the book shows 6 wires on the relay, mine has 3. one comes off the BAT terminal as stated, it also has a wire that runs to the drives side firewall plug. didnt chase it but figured it has to go the horn switch. the other wire is a plug. (the horn is not on the truck). so my understanding is that the ampmeter is supposed to be hooked into that somehow. just trying to get this all figured out so i can get it on the road cause i really need a 4x4, plus the chicks dig it ;]
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
ChevySixty6

Re: alt wiring ?

I'd post this over in the electrical area. They'll chime in with a quick answer.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
kev63rod

Re: alt wiring ?

thanks will try