The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Luvlegs

a smart man will ask those who know...

Merry Christmas all!

I have a couple questions (and 3 pics (one for each question)):

Info: I noticed this wetness at the base of the carb the other day. It seems to be coming from the next 2 gaskets up?... like in the middle of the carb body.. looks like it's been this way for a while but I never noticed it...

1) Are the two gaskets easily made from a sheet or do they have to be bought (complicated to cut out). Or is it just as easy to buy the kit and do them all? It's a monojet... ) I can't believe I'm even asking this...

Info: I notice a spark that seems to be jumping from the very end of the rubber boot, at the #5 spark plug, sideways to the block. The wire is "snapped" down on the tip of the plug, the plug is nice and clean, gapped and "snugged" tight in the block and the boot is down as far as it goes. It's like popping out from under the rubber of the boot and going sideways. The wires are about 3 years old and don't have 500 miles on them.

2) Would a bad plug not let the spark "go into the cylinder"? Other ideas?

Info: My timing light is toast (been stored a long time and the leads crumbled) (yeah, it's about 30 years old)... anywhoooo,
As I rotate the distributor counter clockwise, the rpms pick way up and I back off just as it's getting bad. If I leave it here, I'd have to adjust the idle way down. The exhaust has a random "putt" sometimes with a smoke ring like a pulling tractor (including a lot of exhaust "soot").
If I rotate it clockwise, the rpms drop way down and I again back off when it gets bad. It idles quietly and smoothly like this but gags a bit when I hit the accelerator. This way the exhaust does the random "putt" as well but with out hardly any soot.
I will get my hands on a timing light at some point but curious as to which way I should be going? Low idle or high idle (and then adjust it down)?

Bonus Question - can anyone give me 20 seconds of info on this dizzy - from early 70s nova - It doesn't have a coil or anything I can see "in it" or external to it. I gapped at .045 but is that too much if this is only an "electrical" ignition now as opposed to an "electronic" ignition system?

These all seem like rookie questions to me but I'm old enough now to feel I can say I suffer from CRS. Thanks all for your attentions.
Attached Images

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: a smart man will ask those who know...

I'd buy the kit.Exact thickness and fit of gaskets is crucial here.

No,at least I don't think so.Try switching a plug from another hole and see if the problem moves with it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Luvlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'd buy the kit.Exact thickness and fit of gaskets is crucial here.

I got to thinking the same thing.

No,at least I don't think so.Try switching a plug from another hole and see if the problem moves with it.
Ha, I didn't even think of that.. glad I asked now.

1972 C10 L6 3OTT
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

You might have a cracked boot letting the spark jump across to the block.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Luvlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by low'n slow View Post
You might have a cracked boot letting the spark jump across to the block.
hmmmmmm... another good one!

1972 C10 L6 3OTT
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Answer #1: If you go to the trouble of taking it apart you might as well buy a rebuild kit break it all the way down and clean everything.

Answer #2: Maybe try some of the silicone "plug grease" they sell in little tubes, it will help to insulate it better, as long as the boot isn't cracked.

Bonus Answer: That is a point style dizzy, follow the wire from the center of the cap and it will lead to the coil.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
geezer#99

Your dizzy is an external coil HEI. You have a pic of the coil in your second pic. Follow the centre wire on your dizzy right to it.
You can get your timing close by rotating the dizzy ccw till it runs better then back it off a bit. Then adjust your idle speed. Have you tried tightening the screws on the carb top to see if it quits leaking.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Your dizzy is an external coil HEI. You have a pic of the coil in your second pic. Follow the centre wire on your dizzy right to it.
You are right it is an HEI, I looked a little closer after I read your response. At first I just saw no internal coil and assumed points. Good catch!
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Luvlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post

Geesch... how did I miss that? I mean really... Thanks

You can get your timing close by rotating the dizzy ccw till it runs better then back it off a bit. Then adjust your idle speed. Have you tried tightening the screws on the carb top to see if it quits leaking.
I will rotate it until it runs strong, back it off a bit and then adjust the idle. Then, I need to rebuild that carb...

Thank you all.

1972 C10 L6 3OTT

Last edited by Luvlegs; 12-26-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Also a few other things I forgot to mention are a cracked plug could also cause the spark to arc out of insulator (white part of plug). If you want to set the timing by ear you should turn it toward the direction that it starts to increase the idle (ccw) until it has good throttle response and it will start without cranking hard (if too far advanced it will crank slowly and try kicking back). When you think you have it close take it for a cruise and do some varied driving. Make sure to lug the engine with the throttle wide open (up a steep hill or something) and listen for pinging/knocking. If it runs good and doesn't ping you are good to go. Each time you adjust the timing you have to readjust the idle setting too. Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
71gmcburb

my grandfather tought me a trick with these older engines you can use a glass of water to set the timing as well fill a clear plastic cup about 1/2 full with water place on intake or in your case a flat spot on the valve cover will work then you can adjust timing and mix till the water is still ive done this myself and then checked with a light and it works great

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Also, don't trust the timing mark on the balancer, they have been know to slip.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Luv...good to see ya around here every now and then...hope all is well....I got no help with these elementary questions!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

99.99 percent of the inline 6 cylinder harmonic balancers have slipped by now. They rely on the outer ring as the lower pulley, and over time, the rubber deteriorates and allows the outer ring/ pulley to slip in relationship to the inner hub.

That said, using a timing light on a 6 cylinder is likely going to be an exercise in frustration. It's usually easiest to set it by ear. Start with setting it where the engine idles the fastest/ smoothest. Set the idle back to normal if needed after adjusting. Now, while driving the truck listen for pinging. You'll hear it if it's doing it. If it pings, rotate the distributor a little bit clockwise and test drive again. Repeat as necessary, listening for pinging and adjusting clockwise until you alleviate any pinging. When you can drive the truck and load the engine and hear no pinging, you've found the sweet spot. Tighten distributor fully. After all this you might need to tweak your carb adjustment to make the engine idle properly.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Luvlegs

Gotcha Tx! I'm thinking I'll get the carb tightened up first so I'm not sucking air or leaking fuel and then get to finding the sweet spot. I'm going to do a little looky loo with the balancer while I'm at it.

Geoff - I'm thinking I need to get you and Deland over for a work weekend... t400 tranny install, tilt column, linkages, new inner fenders, much better grill surround. I figure you two could knock it out in a couple hours and I'll have all these parts out of my way!

Oh yeah... how come you don't list me in your "members met"?... tryin to dissasociate? hahahahahah

1972 C10 L6 3OTT

Last edited by Luvlegs; 12-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlegs View Post
Geoff - I'm thinking I need to get you and Deland over for a work weekend... t400 tranny install, tilt column, linkages, new inner fenders, much better grill surround. I figure you two could knock it out in a couple hours and I'll have all these parts out of my way!

Oh yeah... how come you don't list me in your "members met"?... tryin to dissasociate? hahahahahah
Oh yeah, I mean that is maybe a 2 hour deal....I assume you'll have refreshments and pizza?!?!

No way...I don't like to tell everyone that I met you...saw your pic in the post office the other day

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote