The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
mrhino
Account Suspended

Trouble with windshield install. Question

Im installing my new windshield today. I read on the fourm how easy it is and how it just slides right in. I even followed GMCPauls instructions. my question is: After getting the windshield in (so I think) the bottom keeps poping out when pressure is released. I can get the rubber to go over the flange all the way around, but then it will pop back out. Iv tried 8-10 times dry and with lube. Any ideas as to why it wont seat all the way and stay? Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by mrhino; 01-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Trouble with windshield install. Question

I don't know if this is your case or not. But heard some of the windshields made by some overseas manufactures are made incorrectly. Some are too flat and the windshields will not allow the wipers to touch it correctly to wipe the entire windshield or slightly bowed wrong in a corner. Quality of the seal also makes a big difference and personally have ran into that preventing a windshield install too. Good Luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
matthew20061
69' Chevy Stepside

Did you try wrapping the rope around the windshield and pulling the seal in with that?
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan, Full Frame off Restoration done myself - 6.0L with T56 six speed
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan - Nearly rust free AK car, Project in the waiting
-2003' Chevy Silverado SS AWD 6.0L! - Daily Driver
matthew20061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
71 super

What type of seal do you have? How did you prep before the install (ie Heat to soften rubber). Finally do you have the chrome insert? Precision seals are hit and miss, I have had three, two fit well, one fit like crap. I have found that if you get a seal with chrome trim, it is easier to install the 67-70 than the 71-72 due to the deep the lip of the chrome extends, 67-70 goes in rubber and stays put much better than the other. The key to the install is the softness and pliability of the rubber. Leave it out in the sun or I have actually laid them next to the stove for several hours to soften the rubber. Install the rubber on the glass, then install the trim. Once you get this far it goes quick, with two people it is not a big deal. Lube the inner seal very well- I personally cake the vasiline onto the seal (it helps to hold the rope in place as well). Get a 3/8" cord string etc. and place into the seal groove. Leave roughly a 12 " loop hanging out of the top and leave the loose ends meeting at the center and roughly under the upper loop. Set the glass carefully in the opening be sure to center the glass! Start the install by pulling one of the loose ends to within 2" of the top corner- the person inside must lift up HARD to easy the seal over the lip while the person on the outside using the palm of their hand is pushing in on the glass- you may have to bump it with the heel of your hand pretty good but dont hit it too hard! Do the same for the other side- again lift up hard as you pull on the cord. Now starting at the loop pull down HARD while pushing from the outside (same process as the lower). This is the same process as the factory recommended through their service manual(s). Hope this helps- remember quality parts, must be soft and warm good help and good cord with lube- no more wind in the face.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
mrhino
Account Suspended

the windshield is a PGW not sure on the quality, but online research shows it to be a the same company that make newer car windows. the seal I got from classic Chevy truck parts. i have lubed the piss out of it. using the cord started at the bottom and the top with the same result. I have not tried heating up the seal. my garage was about 70 and iv had the glass and the seal in the house for about a week so they should have been about the same. I feel Im so close to getting it in.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
matthew20061
69' Chevy Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
the windshield is a PGW not sure on the quality, but online research shows it to be a the same company that make newer car windows. the seal I got from classic Chevy truck parts. i have lubed the piss out of it. using the cord started at the bottom and the top with the same result. I have not tried heating up the seal. my garage was about 70 and iv had the glass and the seal in the house for about a week so they should have been about the same. I feel Im so close to getting it in.
I had a glass expert guy show me how to install mine, what he did lubbed the seal with ATF and started by putting the top of the windsheild in first and working around each side until reaching the bottom. There was quite a bit of pounding on the glass and seam with fists on the outside while pulling it in with the cord on the inside. Hope that helps.
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan, Full Frame off Restoration done myself - 6.0L with T56 six speed
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan - Nearly rust free AK car, Project in the waiting
-2003' Chevy Silverado SS AWD 6.0L! - Daily Driver
matthew20061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
rustyrodknocker

you can usually tell the quality of rubber by how it fits the windshield out of the truck. to sloppy will be a pain. to much rubber between the window and the truck. so tight that you can barely get it on the glass is a pain. constantly tries to roll off the glass. mine was so sloppy on my 68 I could not keep it on the glass long enough to get started, so i put it on the truck and pulled it in with a string while pushing down on the window to keep pressure on the rubber. by myself. went well, maybe 15 minutes. two strings. one for the top and one for the sides and bottom. suspect your rubber first. I just bought two for my 66. the lmc was 2 1/2" longer than the winshield. and the steele was so tight that two men could barely pull it on the glass. took an hour and some dam sore fingers.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
bigsnookmaster

I used to install auto glass for a living. I would never use Vaseline or ATF for a lube, it's way too messy. I use dishsoap diluted a bit, or silicone. Also, use a 3/16" sash cord, 3/8ths is too big. I've always started the cord at the bottom, put it in the pinchweld groove all the way around, and put 1 twist where they come together, and tuck it ih the groove with the tail sticking out. Now put the dishsoap solution around the rubber, put the windshield in the hole, and start pulling the cord one side at a time till you get to each bottom corner, gently slapping the windshield with the palm of your hand, NOT YOUR FIST! And don't get ahead of the cord with the slapping. Work your way up the sides, and take one corner at a time. A cotter pin remover tool comes in very hand to assist getting the corners in.You might have to take the tool and reach under the seal at the base and pull the rubber a little, pushing it firmly down over the bottom pinchweld, then actually pull down a bit on ther top of the windshield, and finish roping it in. A few slaps here and there , and it should fit like a glove. I live in the Tampa Bay area, and if anyone near would like a free windshield install, I would be more than happy to do it, if you would video tape it, so we can post for others to see!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
william-theglassman

bigsnook . you hit it .thats pretty much the way i install them . the chrome does make a little harder . i would use pilkington glass .they seem to be the best ones for the old trucks right now. since ppg glass was sold and is now pgw its just not the same .i had a 67 and i have a couple of squares .have put glass in all of them . the pilkington looks and fits the best.
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
mrhino
Account Suspended

I am using a 3/16 cord. It seam like iv done everything the way everybody has described. I dont believe the seal is to loose or to tight. obvislously im not doing something right, or it would go in. I know I haven't tried slapping the glass behind the rope. Iv been slapping it randomly around the glass. could that be the little thing im missing?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
william-theglassman

helps to have someone pushing the glass in where you are pulling the rope.when doing it by myself i have a suction cup ,pulling it in from the inside.if the glass has the wrong curve it might not ever be right.some gaskets also have a double lip . i also pull the rubber down over the pinchweld as i pull the rope too. hope that helps. next time i do an old truck i will take some pics.
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
TugOwar

definitely a two man job
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugOwar View Post
definitely a two man job
Amen to that and sometimes it helps to have a third.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
c1069

check this
c1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
mrhino
Account Suspended

Good news! Me and my wife got it in. it took another 4-5 tries today but we got it. A Big Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. THANK YOU

Old 01-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
bigsnookmaster

Good video!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
71 super

Good job! Glad you got it in, not so intimidating now is it? Local guy quoted $200 to do mine and asked if it had the trim, if trim it would be more!???? WTF I got out the service manual read over the steps and 30 minutes later had a new windshield in with trim. Great job, not on to bigger and better things
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
Cyclone44
Step Brother

Some great info here!!
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #19
ebfabman

Lay something on the body to protect the paint, NOT like those guys in the video!!!
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
bajaracing

nice looking truck!
bajaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #21
CEE1NG_RED

GREAT VID!! Wish there were more how to's vids or write ups to restore these trucks for a novice!
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #22
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracing View Post
nice looking truck!
Thanks
If you click the link in my signiture it will take you through the complete frame up build.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
RCbowtie69

great tips & great video
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

Don't mean to hijack...This thread really helped me install my windshield. I did it solo with the help of a glass suction cup. I had the deluxe trim. Thanks for all the help.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
big_al_71

Thats great info on there....exactly how we did both front and rear glasses on my bucket.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote