The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
ekacpuc

Stickshift options

I've got a 1977 C10 that's getting a 4 link rear with a posi and a 454 that's built for torque. The cam I'm getting is 1400-5200 rpm, plan on running 3.73s but could change that if needed. Should be around 400ish hp and hope to get 500 tq.

I'm looking at a TKO-600 (don't like the 500s low 1st) or maybe a muncie M22. I love the way the rockcrushers sound. Speed limit in Alaska is 55mph but plan on one day taking it south for a cruise. So it almost seems silly to buy a OD.

Anyone put a muncie into thier C10? What do I have to worry about? I'm a dummie so please put it into dummie terms. I'm starting from scratch. Use to be an automatic, so wondering how reverse lights work and drive shaft stuff too.. I saw someone here has a M21 and that sucker seems to clear the bench seat nicely.

Some things I'm wondering about, car vs truck bellhousings what's the difference? I think my block is a LS5.

Can I just get a clutch to match the 10 spline input shaft?

Has anyone used a hyd clutch linkage with the M22s? I saw a kit somewhere but I think it was for the TKOs

Anyways I really should put a auto back into it to keep it simple but that wouldn't be me and I really don't enjoy driving autos... I'd be a bit concerned with the muncie's shifting.. IIRC they where kinda difficult to shift, not as smooth as todays sticks but heck that makes it even cooler

Basicly I need all the info that someone is willing to spend the time typing out for me. Any tips tricks or things they would have done differently. Maybe a good site for info on converting my truck to a stick. I'm getting a tree (pedal assembly) for free from a friend of mine, don't know what it's out of though but its worth a look.

Greg
ekacpuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
ekacpuc

Re: Stickshift options

Oh yeah.. I should clear up and add a few things.

I'm interested in running a hyd linkage

There are no junkyards here, there also isn't a road to any either.. I live on a remote island in Alaska. So I need to be able to get the parts new online or used off ebay.

I have a bench seat and am unwilling to give it up.

Greg
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
dccarpenter

I swapped my turbo 400 to a sm465. It wasn't too bad, driveshafts worked out, the pedal assembly required some modding but bolted in. I used mechanical clutch, kept it simple. Buy a new clutch kit to go with the transmission and it'll have the spring and everything with it.

Tranmission ran horrible at first because it'd been sitting for a few years outside but now after 3 weeks or of running with a bunch of Lucas additive in it it's going smoother.

It does drive like a dump truck but won't ever break or so I've been told.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
blazer2007

I ran a 4+1 rich. 5 speed,was lots of fun and has a nice whine from the gears
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
1LowToy

If it were mine I'd need a steel blow-proof bell housing. I'm a little wild on clutches, as I've had three pucker the floor. That was back in the day before they had rev limiters.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

You won't be speed shifting a SM465 granny 4 speed. It has a long throw and you really don't build up any speed until 4th gear. It is a work truck transmission. Not the greatest for stop and go traffic. I like mine, but a modern automatic is more practical and shifts a lot smoother. First gear is never used, so it is really a 3 speed, unless you are stuck in mud or snow, then first gear might help some - or maybe pulling your boat out of a boat ramp.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
ekacpuc

No I wouldn't throw a granny tranny ;-) in there. So I'll find some pedals and make em work. I'd worried about the bellcrank clearing my long tube headers in a mech linkage. Read alot of posts about that happening. Though my block does appear to be drilled and tapped for it.

I saw the richmond 4 + 1 street but I've never heard of em. I'm a HUGE muncie fan and would really like to stick the M22 in there with a hydraulic clutch.

I'm a fan of those "explosion proof" bellhousings too. Honestly I'd stick whatever fits on though really. I'm not gonna run huge HP and TQ #s, just a nice 454.

I see the pretty much all the hyd clutch stuff in LMC truck. What does the hyd master cyl bolt to? I've never looked at one in a pickup.. Does bolt and run into the bellhousing? Or is there a mount or something to use the arm for the mech linkage?

Greg

Last edited by ekacpuc; 03-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
Straightshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekacpuc View Post

I'm a fan of those "explosion proof" bellhousings too. Honestly I'd stick whatever fits on though really. I'm not gonna run huge HP and TQ #s, just a nice 454.

I see the pretty much all the hyd clutch stuff in LMC truck. What does the hyd master cyl bolt to? I've never looked at one in a pickup.. Does bolt and run into the bellhousing? Or is there a mount or something to use the arm for the mech linkage?

Greg
Greg, I have a 87 Ton bellhousing, it's pretty heavy, probably cast or forged steel.
It has the hyd. slave cylinder mount forged into it.
You may find 1 on e-bay ?
If not, you can buy a scattershield and and get the slave mount from Novak, they have the entire system, and can steer you in the right direction on bellhousings, stock or aftermarket, they fit both.
I think the only problem your going to have is finding the pedals.
Good luck, and give Novak a call. Take care.
Jon
Straightshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
philthethrillohio

ill be puttinga 5 speed camaro tranny in my 87 tbi. any ideas on a cheap place to get a pedal assembly . ive had no luck in the bone yards and onlne im not finding much. i have the tranny bell housing shifter and clutch just trying to get the rest
philthethrillohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Straightshot

I have the same problem.
I have the 87 Hyd. Bellhousing. throwout brg., arm, master, & slave, I just have to figure out the pedals, like finding them ?
Also which year changed from mechanical to hyd, are they the same pedals ?? I'm not finding much info on any of this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightshot View Post
I have the same problem.
I have the 87 Hyd. Bellhousing. throwout brg., arm, master, & slave, I just have to figure out the pedals, like finding them ?
Also which year changed from mechanical to hyd, are they the same pedals ?? I'm not finding much info on any of this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
They changed the CK trucks over in 1985. 85 & 86 CK and the 87 to 91 RV square bodies with factory manual trannys have them.
They are not the same pedals. The hydraulic pedals have at least 1 support rod for the clutch master cylinder and the hydraulic push pin is in a different location on the clutch pedal arm.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Straightshot

Thanks guy's, I really appreciate the info. Sounds like 85 & newer. They aren't real easy to find, atleast here in Oregon.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 AM   #13
my4by2

My trucks getting a GM NV4500 5-speed, but it's more heavy duty & not so much the one for "performance" driving... We had to get an 85 1-ton truck to pull the pedal assembly from since my stock one was all mechanical. The firewall had to be modified a bit, but nothing severe. These may work for you for whatever you end up running.
D60 + 14-bolt FF w/ Eaton posi + disc brakes
Skyjacker 2.5" full spring lift w/ Nitro shocks
Custom paint + interior
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=435722
my4by2 is offline   Reply With Quote