The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Dynomutt

New addition to the family

Thought you guys, and gals, might like to see the latest addition to the family.

1972 C30 Tow Truck, numbers matching big block, TH400, PS, PB, AC and bought REALLY CHEAP. Was going to use it for parts originally but when I saw it, I just didn't have it in me to part it.

Here is the one picture that I have handy, it's the worst side...
Attached Images

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
truckster

Re: New addition to the family

From the picture, it definitely looks too nice to part out.

Thanks for saving another classic.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
big_al_71

i like it...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
70cst

Dynomutt ... I like it---very neat truck!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
yuccales

I like it just the way it is!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Dynomutt

Thanks all. The truck will stay basically like it is with a few needed items here and there. It was not running when I bought it. It was last registered in 1990 and was sitting in the corner of the guys yard with a broken driver side window and someone had stolen the carb at some point. It had vines growing everywhere, even all the way up the boom. My dad and I spent 2 days getting it running and it runs like a dream. The transmission shifts perfectly, the power steering works great and the AC compressor even works but the system needs a charge at best. The seat is in very good shape for having been exposed to the eliments (no tears but some minor stains) but unfortunately the Tan vinyl floor mat was trash. It does have some rust in the rockers and floor but everything else is in pretty good shape. All of the tires are dry rotted but only one won't hold air so even they will stay on the truck for a while.

We're gonna take it to the Goodguys show at the Texas Motor Speedway next weekend so if you're there and get the chance, stop by and take a closer look. It really is a pretty cool old truck.

Build Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomutt View Post
Thanks all. The truck will stay basically like it is with a few needed items here and there. It was not running when I bought it. It was last registered in 1990 and was sitting in the corner of the guys yard with a broken driver side window and someone had stolen the carb at some point. It had vines growing everywhere, even all the way up the boom. My dad and I spent 2 days getting it running and it runs like a dream. The transmission shifts perfectly, the power steering works great and the AC compressor even works but the system needs a charge at best. The seat is in very good shape for having been exposed to the eliments (no tears but some minor stains) but unfortunately the Tan vinyl floor mat was trash. It does have some rust in the rockers and floor but everything else is in pretty good shape. All of the tires are dry rotted but only one won't hold air so even they will stay on the truck for a while.

We're gonna take it to the Goodguys show at the Texas Motor Speedway next weekend so if you're there and get the chance, stop by and take a closer look. It really is a pretty cool old truck.
I wonder why the previous owner took the truck off of the road.

I often wonder why some people don't fix things and get their vehicle back on the road. I don't know, maybe they did try and quickly gave up, or maybe they believed the problem was more serious and required a major repair $$$.

Nice save!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Dynomutt

I think the guy that owned it must have just not had ANY money to do anything with it. The guy I bought it from was not actually the guy that owned it. He got it because the guy that owned it owed him back rent on an apartment. I'm trying to get the owners # so I can get a little more history on the truck.

The guy I bought it from told me everything worked when it was parked and he even thought the winch worked but wasn't real sure. Of course when we got it home we had no idea what it would take to get it running. Oil was full and clean, trans fluid was clean and appeared to be full, master cylinder was dry, PS pump was dry and the radiator was pretty low. We pulled the plugs to take a look and all was good. We turned the motor by hand and all was good. We put power to the starter and spun it over and all was good. We installed a carb, dist cap, rotor, wires, cut the gas line loose so we could get fuel from a gas can, filled the radiator, installed a battery, installed an ignition because there was no key with the truck, poured some fuel in the carb and gave it a whirl. Started pretty quick and would run as long as there was fuel in the carb. It took a while for the fuel pump to pick up but once it did it ran really well. I put it in gear, nothing. Reved it up and it showed signs of movement (the truck is still on the trailer and strapped down at this point since there are no brakes yet). We put on new calipers, pads, hoses, cleaned the master cylinder and poured in fluid. Bled the brakes and they worked great (fronts only, still haven't done the rear). Installed and plumbed another gas tank and sending unit and made sure all of that worked. Unloaded the truck from the trailer, checked the trans fuild, added 3 qts of fluid and it works like new. Changed the oil and filter, put some power steering fluid in and took it for a spin around the block. Pure joy...
Inside and outside was cleaned and the DS window was replaced.
Gonna get the lights all working today (as many as we have parts for anyway) and cruise it at the Goodguys show just like it is.
Almost all of the parts have come from our "stock" so I still have under $1000 in this truck. Amazing, it probably would have gone to the crusher...

Build Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomutt View Post
I think the guy that owned it must have just not had ANY money to do anything with it. The guy I bought it from was not actually the guy that owned it. He got it because the guy that owned it owed him back rent on an apartment. I'm trying to get the owners # so I can get a little more history on the truck.

The guy I bought it from told me everything worked when it was parked and he even thought the winch worked but wasn't real sure. Of course when we got it home we had no idea what it would take to get it running. Oil was full and clean, trans fluid was clean and appeared to be full, master cylinder was dry, PS pump was dry and the radiator was pretty low. We pulled the plugs to take a look and all was good. We turned the motor by hand and all was good. We put power to the starter and spun it over and all was good. We installed a carb, dist cap, rotor, wires, cut the gas line loose so we could get fuel from a gas can, filled the radiator, installed a battery, installed an ignition because there was no key with the truck, poured some fuel in the carb and gave it a whirl. Started pretty quick and would run as long as there was fuel in the carb. It took a while for the fuel pump to pick up but once it did it ran really well. I put it in gear, nothing. Reved it up and it showed signs of movement (the truck is still on the trailer and strapped down at this point since there are no brakes yet). We put on new calipers, pads, hoses, cleaned the master cylinder and poured in fluid. Bled the brakes and they worked great (fronts only, still haven't done the rear). Installed and plumbed another gas tank and sending unit and made sure all of that worked. Unloaded the truck from the trailer, checked the trans fuild, added 3 qts of fluid and it works like new. Changed the oil and filter, put some power steering fluid in and took it for a spin around the block. Pure joy...
Inside and outside was cleaned and the DS window was replaced.
Gonna get the lights all working today (as many as we have parts for anyway) and cruise it at the Goodguys show just like it is.
Almost all of the parts have come from our "stock" so I still have under $1000 in this truck. Amazing, it probably would have gone to the crusher...
Dang, did you do all of this in one day? If you did, you need to slow down, you are making some of us look bad by getting so much work done.

I'll definitely be looking for you at Goodguys.

Good job.

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Shyguy

Great looking truck, sure would like to have one some day. I finally convinced my son to start stocking back up on misc parts for these old trucks.

A while back he sold a truck to a guy and gave him darn near all our spare parts in the deal because my son thought he was done working on these old trucks for a while. As it turns out he has got interested in building some more, but now we will have to look around for some parts trucks.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Big Block
Big Block

Nice score. What are your plans for it. You can never have too many 67-72 trucks!!!
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Matt67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block View Post
Nice score. What are your plans for it. You can never have too many 67-72 trucks!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
slikside

Cool story! Thanks for saving it, AND posting it for the rest of us to enjoy.

Have fun at the show....you may even get your first tow out of it!!
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Dynomutt

Shyguy, thanks. We have 5 of these trucks now and lots of parts. Cool thing about this truck is, you can just pull an old, imperfect part off of something or off of the shelf and put it on this one. It's an old truck that needs to look like an old truck. Good luck in you searches.

lilhoolum, We've had the truck for a week now and all of the work has been done in the afternoons and evenings of each day, except yesterday. We went to the races in Ennis. No telling where we might end up at Goodguys but we sure won't be hiding with this thing. Stop by anytime, we might even share a beverage.

Big Block, thanks. No big plans, it will stay mostly like it is, we just want to make everything work on it more or less, and it's almost there now.

Build Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #16
Dynomutt

Got all of the lights working today but need a cab marker lense. I ordered some new ones but I'd like to find an old one if I can. Probably leave it broken for the show.

Gonna take it and have some exhaust work done tomorrow. I was going to leave it as is, but it's just a little too bad for that. Need to tune on it a little after that but almost done for now.

Build Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
Hubscrub
Cruzin

very cool glad ya saved it.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Thumbs up Re: New addition to the family

Welcome to the wrecker club! I'm also a member.

Thank you for not parting it out! I commend you for that.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Yep, welcome to the club! These are some of the most unique classic trucks out there, and a big block too! Congrats.
Mine is a 67 c20 slant back.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
mgkgmc

If it was mine I would paint the wheels it would make it stand out a lil more. Cool truck
mgkgmc is offline   Reply With Quote