The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
ianb3

AC Delco CB Radio

So I just got an AC Delco ETR radio with a built in CB radio. I'm hoping to replace the Kenwood stereo/equalizer setup I have now with the delco. However I haven't taken apart my dashboard before and I'm pretty sure the previous owner decided to cut the GM harness and make his own. If anyone has a wiring diagram for a 1986 C30 for the AC Delco ETR radio that would help a lot. Also I need help opening up the dash. I've read a lot of threads on replacing dash lights, however none of them ever show where the lights are, or where they go. Just turned 16, this is my first car and I want to get it all back to original. If only I got better mileage, I can see that I'm probably going to have to sell my crew cab in the near future...

ianb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Rogue_Alphonse

Re: AC Delco CB Radio

A couple tricks to removing the header panel [or whatever they call it...bezel...whatever], make sure the rubber ring around the steering column is pulled way up, and instead of fighting out the headlight switch knob, just turn them all the way on and, being VERY gentle, bend it so that it'll pop through the hole in the header.

Also, if it's an automatic, put the shifter all the way down in 1st before you do anything else, if you can. It'll be out of your way of screws as well as when you pull back on it. Another thing that helps is to pull forward on your dash skin, releasing it from the clips, then carefully moving it up a little so it'll clear the pocket or A/C duct attached to the bezel.

As for wiring, I'd have to look under the dash of my GMC to see what's what. I know with newer radios like my HD head unit I added, I had to add a fulltime powered memory wire. Otherwise I used all the existing wires for the speakers, ignition power, and ground.

I can't remember much about what colors are what though. I KNOW that the left rear speaker is yellow and brown/yellow because I was running my 3rd brake light wires through that corner of the cab today
1991 Mustang GT Vert, T-5 w/ Pro 5.0, Trick Flow upper & lower, BBK cold air intake, 3:73, BAMA chip, etc.
1988 K5 Blazer, [coming soon] TBI 400, SM465/NP208, 12 bolt rear, 3:08's, looks like a 1980.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 fully loaded daily driver!
Where there's a will, there's a rig!
Rogue_Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote