The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Funny thing happened to me today...

I have my truck listed locally for sale, and a guy called me yesterday asking to come have a look at it.

He met me at work today after work to look at it and some of the things he was saying about my truck were just damn funny.

I know that my truck is has it's rust problems, but not as bad as most, and he was saying that my floors were totally gone, my fenders and inner wheel wells were gone, etc, etc, and everything else was just totally rusted through.

I thought this was the funniest thing. I think that he is expecting to find a truck that has no rust on it for less than $2000, and is in perfect drivable condition. That was the impression that I got from it all though.

I know my truck isn't in the greatest shape but it's not a piece of crap either like this guy was making it out to be.

A picture of the floor when I got it.

This isn't a listing or promotion to sell my truck I just wanted to tell the story.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Funny thing happened to me today...

some people just dont appreciate a lil truck cancer ) it seems like he wanted for you to give it to him and appreciate that he was willing to take it off your hands.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
redbaron69

he could have just said...thanks but not interested or i think i will pass or good luck with the sale. i cant stand it when somebody beats what you have down thinking it gonna make you sale it cheaper.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
hugger6933

Don't you just love the ones that know your stuff better than you do? I love it when guys come into my shop telling me how to do this or that I've been doing it a long time, I try to listen to all it is hard sometimes but once in a while I pickup usefull help.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
70chevytruck

Mine is the same way.....Everything works, rebuilt motor, I try to drive it everyday....bought it for $800....should be worth $2000 easy I would think.

Name:  Truck5.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  67.0 KB

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Shyguy

Doesn't look that bad to me. Sounds like the guy was trying to talk you down in price.

My '67 was lot worse than that and we have repaired most of it by either using pre made patch panels or making our own.

My son and his family rebuilt one that looked to be beyond repair, it was his wife's grandpa's.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
shawno72
C/10 junkie

When he comes back to buy it tell him the price went up BECAUSE of the rust.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
BMERDOC

Yeah, I think its in the buyers best interest to point out the bad stuff so that the price comes down. But you can't offend a person when buying, it shuts a seller down and they won't budge on the price. And if he didn't know what he was looking at thats not your problem!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
lil hoodlum

Yeah sounds like he was trying to brow beat you into lowering your price or something. I mean seriously, what does he expect for a 40 year old truck? To be rust free and free of any mechanical issues?

Sounds to me that you had a great attitude! It probably pissed the guy off even more!! He was probably thinking, " What the heck is this guy smiling at?"

Good luck with your sale!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
black_sheep454

If it's a running driving 4x4 it's worth $2000. Don't let him beat you down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
mr48chev

The only guy who didn't nitpick what i had for sale lately was a scrapper who paid cash on the barrel head for an 88 Cad Deville I had and was shocked when I fired it up an drove it up on his tow dolly for him before pulling the battery out.

My 71 has almost as much rust as your truck plus 58 holes drilled in various places by my uncle plus a broken windshield and I wouldn't let it go for 2k. If it will run, drive, pass inspection and do a days work it is well worth 2k.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Sounds like to me he was hoping to steal it from you and tried the rust issue first. If it wasn't that it probably would have been something else. Good thing he met you at work so he can't bother you at home.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron69 View Post
he could have just said...thanks but not interested or i think i will pass or good luck with the sale. i cant stand it when somebody beats what you have down thinking it gonna make you sale it cheaper.
That's what I was thinking too. Though I think he might have got the wrong impression when I told him that there is only a little bit of rust. In my eyes there is only a little. He should see my '51. There's a lot more rust in the floors of that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
some people just dont appreciate a lil truck cancer ) it seems like he wanted for you to give it to him and appreciate that he was willing to take it off your hands.
I was glad that he didn't want it after he was done looking at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
Doesn't look that bad to me. Sounds like the guy was trying to talk you down in price.

My '67 was lot worse than that and we have repaired most of it by either using pre made patch panels or making our own.

My son and his family rebuilt one that looked to be beyond repair, it was his wife's grandpa's.
If he was trying to talk me down he was going about it all wrong

I know. I've seen lots of our trucks in a lot worse condition that people have fixed up better than new. There are a bunch of great examples of it here on our board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Don't you just love the ones that know your stuff better than you do? I love it when guys come into my shop telling me how to do this or that I've been doing it a long time, I try to listen to all it is hard sometimes but once in a while I pickup usefull help.
I do. That's kinda what made the whole thing funny. Him telling me how my truck shouldn't even be driving in the condition it was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevytruck View Post
Mine is the same way.....Everything works, rebuilt motor, I try to drive it everyday....bought it for $800....should be worth $2000 easy I would think.

Attachment 834733
I'd drive it everyday, but we all know how the MPG is on these old rigs. At 64 miles round trip it'd almost be cheaper for me not to go to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
When he comes back to buy it tell him the price went up BECAUSE of the rust.
I was planning on doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_sheep454 View Post
If it's a running driving 4x4 it's worth $2000. Don't let him beat you down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I'm thinking. The only thing on my truck that doesn't work are the back-up lights. I just haven't got around to changing out the switch on it yet is all. Maybe that's why he didn't want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Yeah, I think its in the buyers best interest to point out the bad stuff so that the price comes down. But you can't offend a person when buying, it shuts a seller down and they won't budge on the price. And if he didn't know what he was looking at thats not your problem!
I agree with you on that, but when he's just nit-pickin on every little thing and telling me how the truck is pretty much gone; WTF?!?! I don't think that he knew what he was looking at or something. The only thing he saw was rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Yeah sounds like he was trying to brow beat you into lowering your price or something. I mean seriously, what does he expect for a 40 year old truck? To be rust free and free of any mechanical issues?

Sounds to me that you had a great attitude! It probably pissed the guy off even more!! He was probably thinking, " What the heck is this guy smiling at?"

Good luck with your sale!

Keith
After his first couple sentences I wasn't about to lower the price at all. I'm sure he can find a 'rust free' 40+yo truck for the price he wants to pay, but just the body.

I was having a hard time not laughing when he was telling me what was wrong with it.

Yeah he seemed pretty upset when he was getting into his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The only guy who didn't nitpick what i had for sale lately was a scrapper who paid cash on the barrel head for an 88 Cad Deville I had and was shocked when I fired it up an drove it up on his tow dolly for him before pulling the battery out.

My 71 has almost as much rust as your truck plus 58 holes drilled in various places by my uncle plus a broken windshield and I wouldn't let it go for 2k. If it will run, drive, pass inspection and do a days work it is well worth 2k.
That's what I'm thinking. I don't know what he's smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Sounds like to me he was hoping to steal it from you and tried the rust issue first. If it wasn't that it probably would have been something else. Good thing he met you at work so he can't bother you at home.
Yeah I'm hoping that he doesn't start harassing me or something at work. I do know a few Sheriff detectives though

Had;
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Im getting ready to put my K20 up for sale and its threads like this that just make me dread the process...Thanks a lot Nick (heh)
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
nbrfd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp51chevy View Post
I have my truck listed locally for sale, and a guy called me yesterday asking to come have a look at it.

He met me at work today after work to look at it and some of the things he was saying about my truck were just damn funny.

I know that my truck is has it's rust problems, but not as bad as most, and he was saying that my floors were totally gone, my fenders and inner wheel wells were gone, etc, etc, and everything else was just totally rusted through.

I thought this was the funniest thing. I think that he is expecting to find a truck that has no rust on it for less than $2000, and is in perfect drivable condition. That was the impression that I got from it all though.

I know my truck isn't in the greatest shape but it's not a piece of crap either like this guy was making it out to be.

A picture of the floor when I got it.

This isn't a listing or promotion to sell my truck I just wanted to tell the story.
Rust like that is standard equipment on 67-72, I think it is listed on the SPID RU-72. 4 wheel drive? that a bargin, wish you where closer.
Tim
nbrfd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Sorry about that CG. You could just give it to me I'll take that rusty old pile of junk off your hands for free

I think that we should start listing them for twice what they're worth.
That'll teach 'em.

Had;
Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
fine69

Before they get too far into the "it needs this and that" crap i just throw my hand up and say STOP.
Its 40 years old. If you want a new truck go buy one. It is used, expect some not perfect things.
If you want to deal make an offer, otherwise get in your car and go home.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Before they get too far into the "it needs this and that" crap i just throw my hand up and say STOP.
Its 40 years old. If you want a new truck go buy one. It is used, expect some not perfect things.
I fly along these lines with sellers...

Sure he says it's a rusty pile, but then when he goes to brag about it or sell it it's all superficial (while selling it for double what he paid for it).
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrfd007 View Post
Rust like that is standard equipment on 67-72, I think it is listed on the SPID RU-72. 4 wheel drive? that a bargin, wish you where closer.
Tim
If it doesn't sell I'm gonna drag it with me out that way to SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
He said that he wanted a project for him and his son. I dont know what kinda project he's looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
Forget that clown, and stick to your guns. Your truck will sell.
I'm kinda hoping it wont

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I fly along these lines with sellers...

Sure he says it's a rusty pile, but then when he goes to brag about it or sell it it's all superficial (while selling it for double what he paid for it).
Exactly, but with a new coat of paint.

Had;
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Rob H.

[QUOTE=nickp51chevy;5036410]If it doesn't sell I'm gonna drag it with me out that way to SC.

Well on your way to SC, just drop it off here in KY LOL, it'll fit right in and actually looks better than my rust buckets!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #21
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford66 View Post
Some people out there act like YOU should pay THEM to take your stuff! I have dealt with these types before and i send them packing....QUICKLEY! You will find the right buyer. You know what they say, "there's an a$$ for every seat" Good luck with your sale. Joseph
I'm starting to think that mine is fitting quite well in that seat now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
I hate that. Look dude: It's 40 years old, it's for sale, and this is the price. Buy it, make me an offer, or leave. Those are your options. If I needed your "expert" opinion, I'd be paying you a GD consulting fee.
Well I'm glad he didn't charge me for his services then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Hmm... couple a local Washington boys sellin' 4X4's...

I just happen to be lookin' for a 4X4...

Gary
Ah you don't want my truck it's a pile of rust that shouldn't even be on the road driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57larry View Post
did he make an offer?
No. And if he did I would have told him 2k firm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob H. View Post
Well on your way to SC, just drop it off here in KY LOL, it'll fit right in and actually looks better than my rust buckets!

If I drag it that far I might as well drag it the rest of the way and fix finish the body work on it then sell her for $10k

Had;
Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Forget that clown, and stick to your guns. Your truck will sell.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
BMERDOC

The buying/selling process is hard. I am trying to buy a truck right now. I don't have the money that he wants for it but I'm getting it together. He is a coupla hundred smackers higher than I'd like to be at but I haven't beat him up over the condition of the truck because of it. Its coming down to the value v. what I can spend. If we can find common ground he will be minus one and I'll be plus one.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #24
sanford66

Some people out there act like YOU should pay THEM to take your stuff! I have dealt with these types before and i send them packing....QUICKLEY! You will find the right buyer. You know what they say, "there's an a$$ for every seat" Good luck with your sale. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #25
domeier

I hate that. Look dude: It's 40 years old, it's for sale, and this is the price. Buy it, make me an offer, or leave. Those are your options. If I needed your "expert" opinion, I'd be paying you a GD consulting fee.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote