The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Power Mirror Info

Ok, lets talk about the power mirrors that were available in the last years of the square body suburbans, K5's and crew cabs. I know people on the forums here have done the swap, need to pick some brains.

Do these mirrors use the same mounting holes that the elephant mirrors used? Do the factory plugs go directly to the harness under the dash, or is the dash harness different as well? I know the wiring harness with power mirrors has two plugs once it appears through the hinge pillar and under the dash, but I don't want to tear in to my '87 R10 to see if the plugs are the same or not. I have the complete wiring harness, even under the dash, but know for a fact it will be different due to the electronic speedometer and such.

Just wondering how big of a deal it would be to swap my mirrors for the power ones, my main concern is their mounting location and the wiring. Thanks for any information!
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
trout

Re: Power Mirror Info

the mounting location is diffrent so(body work has to be done) u will have no problem with that lol and as far as the wiring harness it bassicly goes right in(i had to make mine couse some one had cut the mirror harness) i did this on my 87 also and love them so much now i have to finish body work around were i welded the holes up and stuff
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

So as long as you swap out the entire door wiring harness, it plugs right up under the dash as long as the truck had power windows/locks?

I was hoping they used the same holes in the door... as much as I'm hating the fight to keep the elephant ears in place (a short trip down the highway and you can watch the SOB's move in), I'm not sure I can convince myself to tear in to the fresh paint. Not just yet. I'm still recouping what all that truck cost me!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
as much as I'm hating the fight to keep the elephant ears in place (a short trip down the highway and you can watch the SOB's move in),
I think you can adjust the tension on those big mirrors; just take out the screw at the bottom of the mirror base cover and slip the cover up - you should find a single bolt that you can crank down on the mirror stem.

If that's your main complaint this might take care of it for you.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I've done that twice Keith, it'll work for a little bit but then they loosen up. I blame the repop mirrors. Next time I get mad enough about it I'll toss my old ones back and live with the dents in the chrome just to have mirrors that stay in place.

Thanks for the info all, saved me from 'trying' just to be disappointed with the mounting.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

My elephant mirrors would move every time I closed the doors. I did as Keith describes and they have stayed in place since. I would think some locktite would help if the screws keep backing out. However, if rust is involved then all bets are off - my AZ truck is rust free, so I don't have that problem.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
trout

think you can put in the harness on any model level truck just depends on how you wire it.... but scence u just painted i would be leary to but trust me you'll loe them pic of mine as of sunday
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Wiring isn't an issue if you have a 81-87 fuse panel, it should just plug in. The mounting holes are no where near the same, you will have holes that need to be drilled/located and some that need to be filled.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
trout

thats what were here for
Old 12-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I just fixed my dumbos that had this same problem. this will only work for stainless mirrors or you'll have rust running out of it before long.

I tightened mine up and they still moved even when super tight, so i had to do something else. mine are aftermarket, the nice SS set from LMC with the LH and RH specific bases.

Inside the base you have the stalk the mirror head mounts to, the part that clamps down on the stalk, and mine has a rubber tube around the stalk i guess for grip (didnt work though)

I took my mirror head off and got an angle grinder and roughed up the surface on the stalk and the clamp itself, only where they contact, and then tightened it back up and they dont move anymore, actually they are kinda hard to set since they grip so good.

Mark the stalk BEFORE you take the base cover off so you dont grind on a part thats normally visible.

you try to make things smooth when you want them to slide, so you have to rough some stuff up sometimes to keep it still. I used I think a 36 grit disc, and kind of tapped it to the metal to make it as rough as possible, and i went all the way around the stalk tube, and did the inside of the clamp itself also.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I might have to try that Kenny, those are the same mirrors I got. They were the only ones I could find that were true left and rights.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I used the power "dumbo" mirrors off a late 80's early 90's van, they will mount in your original mount'n holes, as far as the wire'n is concer'd you may have to get creative (I have'nt wired mine yet).
Attached Images

'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Mr. 250r

Dang jitterguy beat me to it lol I have a set of original power mirrors but I dont like how they mount on your glass as opposed to the dumbo mirrors so I noticed our mid to late 90s dodge work van has the same mirrors but power I also plan on doing that swap
Posted via Mobile Device
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
c10sport

This has been a planned mod. I have a set of the black power mirrors but not the doors. I have been looking at Dodge and G van mirrors though.